Tickover noise

AndyAK66

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi can anyone help, had my T6 204 DSG just under a year, having had 3 transporters before I am so dissapointed with this one, loads of problems with the dealership being next to useless, my main gripe being an intermittent noise on tick over, it sounds like an old fashioned water pump going it's that loud people stare at the van, if I select neutral it slowly stops, the dealership had it for a week couldn't find , tension belt changed any ideas what it could be ?

Hi can anyone help, had my T6 204 DSG just under a year, having had 3 transporters before I am so dissapointed with this one, loads of problems with the dealership being next to useless, my main gripe being an intermittent noise on tick over, it sounds like an old fashioned water pump going it's that loud people stare at the van, if I select neutral it slowly stops, the dealership had it for a week couldn't find , tension belt changed any ideas what it could be ?
Could you describe a little bit more the noise please? Is it strong, sharp metallic knocking at regular rate - like hitting with hammer heavy solid metal block pretty fast? Engine cold, hot? Follows revs, or only tick over?

The noise is intermittent but loud when it occurs it sounds like an old-fashioned water pump going can an old British Leyland car pretty embarrassing in a queue of traffic, I've had belt tensioners replaced the Works the van has been back more times to the dealership than you can shake a stick at, I'm starting to consider the turbo that makes an odd noise when I switch the van off like an overrun noise

Thanks. (Un)fortunately I never had any BL car experience. I tried to attach an audio sample of one known "symptom" of T6 engines but only pictures were allowed :(. I'll check embedding later, perhaps tomorrow... if of interest.

Anyways, there is a new service note (published late September) which applies to 150ps and 204ps engines and matches among other things also what I tried to describe above about the noise and could imagine might match also yours. So worth checking, I believe.

I had my van inspected and measured according to the service note and it was a match = my van failed at the measurement :confused:. Now the van is waiting (but still running) for a load of new parts o_O - no software involved. I'm actually hopeful that this even might be the root cause for several other issues, and the noise was just tip of iceberg. The parts have been on order already two weeks, and are scheduled to arrive 6th of November.

Thanks Loz, that would be very much appreciated, yeah if you could send over the sound clip will be even better, is this available via the dealership ? I'm thinking of taking mine up to Hull and changing my dealership

Thanks Loz, that would be very much appreciated, yeah if you could send over the sound clip will be even better, is this available via the dealership ? I'm thinking of taking mine up to Hull and changing my dealership
The sound clip is my own, from my engine. The forum doesn't allow me to upload .mp3 file and I didn't have the courage to rename it as picture because that might have had unexpected results on the forum. Currently I don't have a service where to I could place the clip with open access. The PM of this forum either doesn't allow transfer of files. If still interested send me PM and your "real" e-mail address so I can send clip (size 0.6M, so not a big one) over to you.

E-mailed. Actually two files. One with knocking noise at rate of 145 mseconds (equals to rate of one cylinder at idle 825 rpm).

For comparison included another file without knocking sound. Recordings were made by a cell phone standing in front of the van hood open, the phone about 0.5 m above/in front of engine. Audio levels were not under my control - so when listening try set the volume so that diesel/valve rattle (in the background when knocking) is minimized - especially when listening the knocking one. Also notice that cell phone flattens amplitudes - the knocking was pretty loud, could have imagined that piston was hitting cylinder head :eek: or valve clearance at rocker/lifter was totally out of spec.

E-mailed. Actually two files. One with knocking noise at rate of 145 mseconds (equals to rate of one cylinder at idle 825 rpm).

For comparison included another file without knocking sound. Recordings were made by a cell phone standing in front of the van hood open, the phone about 0.5 m above/in front of engine. Audio levels were not under my control - so when listening try set the volume so that diesel/valve rattle (in the background when knocking) is minimized - especially when listening the knocking one. Also notice that cell phone flattens amplitudes - the knocking was pretty loud, could have imagined that piston was hitting cylinder head :eek: or clearance at valve rocker/lifter was totally out of spec.
A couple of pictures of these files.

Normal sound, full picture 0.270 sec, shadowed part 0.145 sec (=one cylinder stroke at 825 rpm).
NORMAL_145ms(270ms).jpg

Normal sound, full picture 1.6 sec, shadowed part 0.145 sec (=one cylinder stroke at 825 rpm).
NORMAL_145ms(1600ms).JPG

Knocking sound, full picture 0.29 sec, shadowed part 0.145 sec (=one cylinder stroke at 825 rpm).
KNOCKING_145ms(290ms).JPG

Knocking sound, full picture 1.6 sec, shadowed part 0.145 sec (=one cylinder stroke at 825 rpm).
KNOCKING_145ms(1600ms).JPG

Amplitude scales are not comparable because autoscaling sets the maximums to the top of pics but in this case proves that the disturbance is at rate of stroke of one cylinder. Basically engine firing (and/or valve rattle) can be seen even on these pictures although the recorder (cell phone) was not that great.

EDIT: The continuation of my story + audio files + pictures copied into thread

Last edited:
The sound clip is my own, from my engine. The forum doesn't allow me to upload .mp3 file and I didn't have the courage to rename it as picture because that might have had unexpected results on the forum. Currently I don't have a service where to I could place the clip with open access. The PM of this forum either doesn't allow transfer of files. If still interested send me PM and your "real" e-mail address so I can send clip (size 0.6M, so not a big one) over to you.
Thanks my email is ************

Moderator edit
Email removed from public view, please use the private messaging system to share email addresses, the audio file will be posted later for public access

Audio files attched

Attachments

• T6_150ps_EU6_CXFA_knocking_at_rate_145msec.mp3
    567.7 KB · Views: 257
  • T6_150ps_EU6_CXFA_NORMAL.mp3
    651.5 KB · Views: 192
If fuel is burning incorrectly it can sound like timing. I had a similar knock when I had diesel from a lorry that had been sat around for a while. A dose of expensive diesel and additive sorted it out.

That sounds like a hydraulic tappet but why the noise would disappear when you select neutral is a bit confusing.

That sounds like a hydraulic tappet but why the noise would disappear when you select neutral is a bit confusing.
Actually two different cases in this thread. The sound clips above are from my engine. @AndyAK66's engine noise is something else, and it is the one fading when in neutral - perhaps he could post his sound clip, too.

You are right, it sounds like valve tappet, which was my initial thought, or fuel burning incorrectly as Ed Webb suggested. It has been rare event but I'm hopeful VW has finally found the solution - their next action on my engine is on the latter option. The replacement parts are scheduled to be available on Nov-06. I'll keep the forum informed.

Back