Thoughts on side windows

Colinlp

Cabinet-maker
T6 Guru
Hi all, new member here and my first post.

Just had our new (to us) T6 today, we want to put some windows in her and have a couple of questions:

The sliding windows, how secure are they and is there a mozzy net available for them?

Where would you recommend we buy them from? We want to fit them ourselves

Thanks

Decided against sliding windows, no one ever travels in the back and they are just one more thing to clean, jam or leak.
Tried to order from Kiravans but they wouldn't take the order as one of the items was out of stock so I've ordered from VGC who have been very helpful and patient with me. Surprisingly, to us anyway, they had green glass which was my wife's first choice so very happy with that, we didn't really fancy the privacy glass which is a bit dark for us

I had Genuine VW side window glass fitted to mine, It is a dark greeny colour but I had mine tinted. Had it done at Exploria, But im sure you could purchase the glass from VW if needed @Colinlp

Any of your local vw tps stores can supply original oem sliding windows privacy tint think they are around £350 each and if you wanted glass in rear panels they are £150 each

Hi all, new member here and my first post.

Just had our new (to us) T6 today, we want to put some windows in her and have a couple of questions:

The sliding windows, how secure are they and is there a mozzy net available for them?

Where would you recommend we buy them from? We want to fit them ourselves

Thanks

Hi, I take delivery of my new T6 in June/July, what did you decide to do, and can I learn from your experience?

Thank you

Paul

Hi @Poetpaul we decided against sliding windows because of stories about them leaking, I think that only applies to the genuine VW sliding window. My wife wanted the lighter green tint like the OEM so we weren't sure. The only ones we could find were from the Vehicle Glass Company , even then I couldn't find the right ones so I called them up and they couldn't have been more helpful, 5 minutes on the phone and I had everything I needed and delivered in 2 days. That was just our experience, most people prefer the darker tint glass but even then I would give these guys a go.

One tip I will pass on from my experience though is to budget in a cordless or air powered caulking gun, don't muck about with a diy hand type, unless you are the offspring of superman and the hulk you will struggle big time. I got an air powered Clarke one from Amazon for £18, made the job so easy and uses hardly any air so even a small compressor will do

Thank you for taking the time to reply, all useful info to throw into the mix, I guess it's always a bit nerve wracking when you ask a firm to take a saw to £28k of your hard earned beans...........

Recently I’ve begun to realise I’m falling out of love with my van and I’ve noticed that, where before I’d grab any excuse to drive it, I always grab the car as first choice now. Not being able to sort the deadlocks has p’d me off but it’s been the other times it keeps kicking me too. I started to think of alternatives, maybe something a bit bigger to fit more in (not a coach built though, just think they’re too hideous, maybe when I’m 70). Test drove a Ducato based PVC to see how they drove and although it was great inside and I was offered a great deal, I would lose the flexibility of 2m barrier parking, and worst of all it was just awful to drive.

So it’s put up or shut up time, I’m either going to keep this van long term (meaning 3-5 yrs for me) or I get out of vans altogether and find something else to occupy my mind and wallet. So after all that waffle, if I keep the van I would want to address some stuff I’ve avoided spending on so far and one of these is styling, and in particular, the windows.

Here’s a side on picture of my van, it’s a few months old but it shows what I wanted F02FED24-6A9B-42EA-80DF-210B7E85FBA3.jpeg
It has just two motorhome style flip up double-glazed plastic windows which are sold as being better than VW standard but which I feel ruin the smooth lines that I had on my T5 and that I see on most T6s with black glass all the way aft of the front windows with black vinyl wrapped pillars. I just don’t like the panel van look it gives, not that there’s anything wrong with work vans but it isn’t one. So what if I got them replaced by standard VW windows, with matching dummy windows at the back? I could get a vinyl to match the existing one on the back window to keep the look.

What’s people’s opinions? Would I create more problems due to the risk of leaky windows? (Not something I came across on my T5). Am I making security better or worse? Am I trashing the resale value of the van as I’m told Westfalia buyers don’t like mods? Or would the existing panels be able to be taken out undamaged so that they could be swapped back on resale?

Need some other opinions to bounce off :thumbsup:

0FA3E9F6-CA87-47F0-9B47-EEA794DC6BEC.jpeg 43BA706B-37BE-4DDA-BF56-1D8930B9683C.jpeg I started with a pv and opted for complete glazing of the sides, very pleased with look.But I do not have units, being a mobile office. They have vanshades fitted.

I have a horrible feeling whatever you do won’t help.
For us, the T6 Cali is a ticket to freedom; big Euro tours, accommodation for parties, etc. We don’t do big miles at all but feel it’s fun enough to justify that slightly painful buy price.

If you aren’t using it much as a camper, get shot of it. They suit some, they are a compromised PITA for others.

I think they look good with proper tinted VW glass, here's mine outside. It's got curtains in but you don't really see these through the tinted glass.

RearRightLowSm.JPG

Is the actual rear section of glass available to buy just to sit in the recess? (without actually having cut out windows)
I wonder if it will make mine look more finished off, instead of how it looks now.

20180104_104725.jpg

Yes it is, and it's supplied and fitted 5 miles from me. Just waiting for them to give me a price.

Yeah just buy any standard window, then either spray the inside of the glass or buy transporterhq fully blackout glass. Apply the primer, then the adhesive and stick on. Really really easy. Don’t pay someone else to do it as it truly is a 30 min job.

Check my build thread as I done the same, dummy rear quarter window.

Yeah just buy any standard window, then either spray the inside of the glass or buy transporterhq fully blackout glass. Apply the primer, then the adhesive and stick on. Really really easy. Don’t pay someone else to do it as it truly is a 30 min job.

I sweated a long time about fitting my dummy windows. Worried about condensation and spiders getting in,should I leave gap in the adhesive or drill a hole then what size should the bloody hole be.
Anyhow. Set to one Sunday and an hour later all done. To date, through all conditions no condensation and they look great. Also they show no signs of exploding as someone suggested.

019BE7D6-4E74-4EF8-A5A6-A9B6AF5F571B.jpeg

VGC is that a sliding SWB rear window? Tourershine this ‘blank’ rear panel I believe.

Back