Thingssss When We Was Young!

Going for a family drive out on a Sunday after tea. Waiting for the pub to open at 7pm, then Dad bringing a tray of drinks out to the car because us kids weren't allowed in. Sometime we got a snowball as a treat.

Going for a family drive out on a Sunday after tea. Waiting for the pub to open at 7pm, then Dad bringing a tray of drinks out to the car because us kids weren't allowed in. Sometime we got a snowball as a treat.
And if you went and put your head around the pub door for anorther drink you got a right rollicking :)

I might be a wee bitty younger (but not much).

Saturday Night TV!!

Noel's House Party;
Big Break (it's only a game show);
Gladiators (don't care if he was the bad guy, I loved Wolf);
Bruce Forsythe on the Generation Game (cuddly toy!!). My favourite bits were decorating cakes or making vases, the professional always made it look so easy.

I can't remember how old I was but my dad had a car with the window fluid in the floor. So the windows used to get sprayed and the wipers worked by "magic".

Watching Red Dwarf on BBC 2 and my parents realising that it maybe wasn't the most suitable thing for my age.... smeghead!!
:laugh:

Ahh, so many memories.

The endless school summer holidays, being out from dawn till dusk, coming home covered in mud and bruises.
Lighting fires, climbing trees, building dens, rope swings, British Bulldogs, scrumping, knockout ginger.
5 Park Drive for 6d (fags for our younger viewers)
Waiting for Dad to come home from work to see if he had any free gifts from the Esso station.

Also remember the great excitement when we got our first colour telly and VHS recorder.

Ahh, so many memories.

The endless school summer holidays, being out from dawn till dusk, coming home covered in mud and bruises.
Lighting fires, climbing trees, building dens, rope swings, British Bulldogs, scrumping, knockout ginger.
5 Park Drive for 6d (fags for our younger viewers)
Waiting for Dad to come home from work to see if he had any free gifts from the Esso station.
Baggy trousers...?

I remember my first tv (we grew up in the sticks in north Scotland). It was black and white with a twisty dial. There was no 1, 2 or 3... it was like 78, 79, 80, etc and I just turned the dial until I reached a channel. I was very young at this point, so not sure how much TV I actually watched.

Another memory is going up into the farmer's fields with a huge group of kids (about 20 of us) and messing about. I was not the most athletic of kids (and was one of the youngest), the amount of shoes I almost lost by ending up in the ditch between the road and the field. Haybales were great fun.

I don't know if they still do this but (like I say, small village) the shop used to do 10p mixes and give them to any trick or treaters on halloween. Thinking about it, you probably don't even get 10p mixes anymore.
:rolleyes:

Scrapping in school, going home with a ripped uniform, black eyes and getting a good whooping for messing up my shirt. Going to school the next day, getting detention for not having the correct uniform (destroyed previous day), going home and getting a whooping for detention........
I think it would have been easier to join ISIS than a secondary comprehensive in the 70’s.

With all the benefits of modern technology, laws protecting kids from corporal punishment, central heating in almost every house, etc etc, does anybody seriously think today's youngsters are happier than we were????

does anybody seriously think today's youngsters are happier than we were????

No, I don’t think they can be. They seem to have so much pressure put on them by social media and suchlike, thank god we had none of that.
My other half’s Grandkids (two boys, one 16 the other 10) only leave the house to go to school, rest of the time is spent on the X-box in their bedrooms.

Remember when I used to stay with my Grandparents, my Grandad coming back from the shops with a 6 foot long strip of Green Shield Stamps which he then stuck in the book. He had a stack of them, all full of stamps.

I remember my first tv (we grew up in the sticks in north Scotland). It was black and white with a twisty dial. There was no 1, 2 or 3... it was like 78, 79, 80, etc and I just turned the dial until I reached a channel. I was very young at this point, so not sure how much TV I actually watched.

Another memory is going up into the farmer's fields with a huge group of kids (about 20 of us) and messing about. I was not the most athletic of kids (and was one of the youngest), the amount of shoes I almost lost by ending up in the ditch between the road and the field. Haybales were great fun.

I don't know if they still do this but (like I say, small village) the shop used to do 10p mixes and give them to any trick or treaters on halloween. Thinking about it, you probably don't even get 10p mixes anymore.
:rolleyes:
Me too! We could only get BBC 1, the aeriel needed fiddling with every time you watched it and if the weather was bad you viewed the picture through a snowstorm that kept flicking up the screen. I remember the excitement when we got BBC2, before realising there was absolutely sod all on, except when they moved the kids programmes onto it every time tennis etc was on.

Having to hide and keep quiet as kids when the man from Radio Rentals called. That and power cuts at least once a month!!

Back