Thingssss When We Was Young!

Being outdoors all day every day rain or shine, back for meals and back out again.
Playing with matches, petrol, knives, molten lead and motorbikes before the age of 5.
Missing the school bus and walking 10 miles to school, getting caned when I got there for being late again.
Getting caned again the next day because my previously caned hand was too swollen to do my homework.
At least one black eye most weeks after practicing to be Henry Cooper.
Child Line.....pah

There were only 3 channels, the 4th button on our push-button Phillips was tuned into the pong paddle tennis game.

Blimey. Your tele had buttons. I remember having to turn a tuning dial every time you wanted to change channel.

And TVs were rented from D E R.

And bottles of juice were delivered to the door by the Bon Accord lorry.

Screenshot_20190808-170053_Firefox.jpg

Being able to go out and play in the street, climb trees, ride a bike, without fear of:-
1. Miserable old b’stards telling you to go and play elsewhere.
2. The health and safety police telling you that “you can’t do that you’ll get hurt or break something”.
3. People that are a danger to children.

Isn’t it bizarre we go on about the nation getting bigger and more unhealthy and yet we don’t let kids be kids. They sit in their bedrooms on the PlayStation because miserable gits moan when they go out and play.

Jeez when I was a kid I said bye to me mum after breakfast, telling her “don’t worry i’ll be back in time for dinner !” And there was no such thing as a mobile phone.

Just reading this thread has really made me think about the double standards that even I apply as a parent. We are in Largs, Scotland at the moment, and because there is zero wind today the kids sailing championship has been postponed for the day. The son and some of his mates therefore grabbed a sea kayak and a Stand Up Paddle board and paddled up the Firth of Clyde into the centre of the town for a Subway. Rather than come back they decided to paddle right across the Hunterston Channel to the Island of Cumbrea. When I found out I went nuts at him, giving it the old “if anything had have gone wrong and you hadn’t returned how would we even have known where to start looking”. He has a phone didn’t take it. He had the appropriate water clothing on as you’d expect of a person who races dinghys including buoyancy aid.
Would I have done anything different at the age of 14? Probably not, except not have the right clothing on, but still wouldn’t have told my parents where i’d gone.

Ho hum, must just be a bad parent that applies double standards.

Battlestar Gallactica (the original with Dirk Benedict).
The Fall Guy (anyone remember that from a Saturday afternoon dinner time).
The Dukes of Hazzard.
Sony Walkman
Nike air jordan
Reebok Pump
Black Jacks 2 for a penny.
The Kirby & West milk float when milk used to come in one pint glass bottles with a foil lid.

Steve Austin
The six million dollar man
David carradine kung fu or was it called something else
When I was 13 me and 3 of my mates borrowed a couple of tents and cycled 60 miles to dymchurh in Kent for a 2 week holiday all paid for with paper round money

I don't know what half these things are (born in '89) :rofl:

Ho hum, must just be a bad parent that applies double standards.

Or maybe you're an excellent Dad who doesn't apply his 14 yo self's way of thinking to his parenting? ;)

I can't wait until our kids are older and sending them off for the day (with a phone)

Aged 10, me and a mate would catch the 140 bus in wealdstone for 10p and hide up the top until it got to Heathrow and spent the day on top of the multi-story carpark watching the planes.

Or we would buy a 6p platform ticket and get on the underground and ride trains all day as long as you never left a station and ended up back on the platform at Northwick park.

Aged 10, me and a mate would catch the 140 bus in wealdstone for 10p and hide up the top until it got to Heathrow and spent the day on top of the multi-story carpark watching the planes.

Or we would buy a 6p platform ticket and get on the underground and ride trains all day as long as you never left a station and ended up back on the platform at Northwick park.

our thing used to be get a Red Bus Rover and go all over London for the day

Blimey. Your tele had buttons. I remember having to turn a tuning dial every time you wanted to change channel

And TVs were rented from D E R.

And bottles of juice were delivered to the door by the Bon Accord lorry.

View attachment 48667

Our telly came from Rediffusion, and the fizzy drinks were delivered by the Alpine lorry.
3 black jacks, mojos or fruit salads for a penny. Could also buy single cigarettes from the newsagents by our school.
Used to make our own off-road bikes from half a dozen others.
Attaching a roller skate to a piece of board and flying down all the hills near home.

Last edited:
Being able to ski at Cairngorm virtually every weekend from November thru to April, the access road was never shut even if the walls of snow were higher than the bus and a season pass was £15 for the year, happy days. Now it's totally f*cked.

Double declutching
Headlight dip floor switch (as someone reminded me in another post recently)
Pounds shillings and pence, with all its nicknames

And with another mode of transport - travelling on overnight trains in seated accommodation, getting as much sleep as one could

Wagon wheels that were the size of real wagon wheels

All dads seemed to have a BSA bantam in boxes in the garage where I grew up

50cc motorbikes and big bore kits
Spud picking
Launching fire works out of road sign posts
Wrestling on a Saturday
Fall guy
Dukes of Hazzard
Smokey and the bandit

And getting a clip for either been where I wasn’t suppose to be or not been home on time ( usually when street lights came on )

Back