Thermal screens for Kombi side-windows.

Used our comfortz screen cozy this weekend for the first time and I think it's quicker and better than the factory screens and side screens for the doors.

Used our new front and rear Rainbow screens over the weekend and they worked really well - got up to frost both mornings but not a sign of condensation on the front or rear screens (3 of us plus 2 dogs sleeping in the van).
Hi there, So you have the front external screen and the internal ones too? We had a great wknd but the night got v cold & condensation was a problem... looking for a solution to this!
Do you have the poptop cover too?
Is it me or does the site not work for rainbow?

Used our comfortz screen cozy this weekend for the first time and I think it's quicker and better than the factory screens and side screens for the doors.
And no condensation because they are insulated..

Hi there, So you have the front external screen and the internal ones too? We had a great wknd but the night got v cold & condensation was a problem... looking for a solution to this!
Do you have the poptop cover too?
Is it me or does the site not work for rainbow?
No, we have external screens for the front (covers windscreen plus driver/passenger door windows) and rear (covers the tailgate window) - both are thermal and work very well - they are thicker than most, if not all, others you will find. We get zero condensation on the windows that are covered and they do keep the van a lot cosier.

We also have curtains fitted all around which we used when we first got the van last October but we always awoke to lots of condensation - we still use the curtains for the windows not covered by the thermal screens, and they still get plenty of condensation, but leave open everywhere else.

So far we have not gone for the pop top thermal wrap - we have considered it but my son is perfectly happy sleeping up there without (even when it got down to minus 4 one night) so probably wont bother.

As for rainbow screen's site, yep it is pretty poor - best to either ring or email him (or link up via Facebook) - response this week might be a bit slow though as they are at the NEC show (I think most of their business comes via the shows which they seem to be regular attendees at).

Are the thermal pop top wraps properly waterproof? I’m not really in need of the heat insulation but when I was in the Hebrides, the horrendously strong driving rain and wind forced water through the canvas and it soaked into the sides of the bed which was a bugger to get dry before being hit again the following night. An actual waterproof outside layer would have stopped this.

Are the thermal pop top wraps properly waterproof? I’m not really in need of the heat insulation but when I was in the Hebrides, the horrendously strong driving rain and wind forced water through the canvas and it soaked into the sides of the bed which was a bugger to get dry before being hit again the following night. An actual waterproof outside layer would have stopped this.
Probably not but an extra layer, especially one several times thicker than your canvas roof, has got to help.

That said, so far at least, we have not had any issues with rain being driven through our canvas.

Always wondered how pop tops cope in bad wind/Rain
We’ve had our pop top up in some pretty serious winds and driving rains without issue but there is no way I would of had it up during the weather earlier this week (camping now and put the roof up yesterday lunchtime - winds were still strong but worst had passed).

Probably not but an extra layer, especially one several times thicker than your canvas roof, has got to help.

That said, so far at least, we have not had any issues with rain being driven through our canvas.

Thanks, was pondering whether it's worth carrying another bulky item but probably not. It was really just one occasion, the weather in Uist was extreme, battering gales with torrential rain all night every night. There were four of us with pop tops and it got us all but I was the only one daft enough to persist as I much prefer sleeping up top. The T5 Cali next to me made the mistake of putting its broad end on to the wind and they got drenched the first night, I was narrow end on but it soaked through on the third night and never dried out until I got home. It's like tent canvas, it can withstand up to a certain pressure and then gives. Never understand why they don't make them out of properly waterproof material but there must be a good reason, presumably not flexible enough.

Our tent’s (Karsten) canvas is pretty bomb proof and never let any water through unless you left something touching the side of the canvas.

Same should be true of the pop-tops but the weak point will always be the seams and/or around the windows. Anything touching the canvas such as bedding or sleeping person’s limbs will also lead to water coming through.

We have had our SCA up in some pretty serious and persistent wind/rain but maybe not quite as extreme as you describe. Time will tell how well it holds up.

Yes it wasn't just the force of the rain but the prolonged onslaught. Don't know the makes of the other two rooves but it came through all of them in areas away from the seams and with nothing touching. The Cali leaked first but like I said, they'd positioned the van broad side to the wind the first night and it came through the material above the window and ran down the insides. They moved it the 2nd night and then left, the other 2 left theirs down on night 3 and that's when mine started leaking at the sides near the front. In reality I'm probably not going to be exposed to that sort of storm again, and if I am I'm coming home earlier, it was no fun!

Hello, ok thanks for the replies & infos!
trying to decide on a rainbow screen - quite taken by the eyes but struggling to find pictures of recent vans with them?

Anyone here got one that wouldnt mind posting a picture?

thanks in advance!

Have a look at my avatar not the eyes but a bespoke Rainbow design

I'm leaning towards a nice custom design. Might be weird but I'm waiting until my van comes back from conversion (Feb next year) to see what personality it has before settling on a design.

Made my own internal ones with insulation from Screwfix. Cost £30 for a rill and I double layered them. Just back from a week in the Alpes at 2100m and they worked a treat. No external ones though but might invest when we go skiing again next year.

You can use the same stuff to make an internal pop top thermal line no help with rain ingress though in Hebridean storms.

C6F53D26-A72D-4BE8-8C52-D9B5A381D9F6.jpeg

66616273-EA65-4AEB-AC40-6D8F493E22D7.jpeg

I have a set of internal insulated screens but it’s just because of the condensation
I got an insulated external cover ... obvs cant use when wild camping but I may
Get a roll from Screwfix or I think sometimes Lidl and Aldi sell it for rear and side windows

Made my own internal ones with insulation from Screwfix. Cost £30 for a rill and I double layered them. Just back from a week in the Alpes at 2100m and they worked a treat. No external ones though but might invest when we go skiing again next year.

You can use the same stuff to make an internal pop top thermal line no help with rain ingress though in Hebridean storms.

View attachment 39260

View attachment 39261
Wow camping in the alps!
I bet that was awesome

Back