Thermal Fleece - Dacron vs Dodo vs Diall vs ???

RunDSG

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’m improving the insulation in my campervan after discovering that my conversion company failed to insulate either of my dual sliders or the rear tailgate.

I’m at the stage of buying some thermal fleece. I’m 90% sure all this stuff is the same stuff… they all say….

• itch-free
  • safe to handle
  • manufactured from recycled plastic bottles
  • etc.
Is there any advantage in one over the other? Prices seem comparable.

I ask because I want to finish the job today, so that I can go away tomorrow. I can’t wait for shipping so I want to buy the Diall stuff from B & Q.

Your opinions please.

Edit: I’ve done some further comparisons.
  • Dodo says theirs meets flammability standards for vehicle interiors. The Diall stuff meets home flammability standards. Would they be much different?
  • I compared Dodo’s thermal conductivity of 0.040W/mK to the listed R-Value for Diall of 2.25m^2K/W. If I’ve calculated correctly, they’re almost identical, with Dodo’s R-value at 2.5m^2K/W.

IMG_5110.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you have done your homework already. Ticks all the boxes then go for the dial product. I wouldn't be surprised if its all the same anyway just different costs from clever marketing.

If it meets the safety spec and thermal properties then it is the right product for the job. Seen plenty of build threads on here using dial insulation.

Thanks!

(I promise I tried searching first and didn’t come across these…)

If you buy from B&Q you can always return the excess.
Compare the different products R & U values, remember not to compress it otherwise the insulation is reduced.

Thanks!

(I promise I tried searching first and didn’t come across these…)
Haha no worries.
I find its much better to search from google than the search function. On google type : site:t6forum.com
followed by a space then your search term its much more powerful.

Good luck!

It's all Polyester.

Flammability and thermal performance will be near enough the same.

I used dodo at the start and ran out, went to B&Q and bought a roll Diall at £12 cheaper (too impatient to order and wait ha ha) and when I opened it at it literally is the same thing. I think the very slight differences in thermal properties isn't going to make much of a difference.

Thanks all. Used the Diall stuff from B&Q and it worked out great. Certainly far better value for money.

Now finally finished fitting the door store!

Simply fitting a door store turned into a much bigger project when removing the door panel revealed no insulation whatsoever in the doors!

Did you use the Kirivans door store and is it possible to carpet line these to match the rest of the interior panels?

I had similar, paid for insulation and only when I had a pop top fitted did we realise it hadn’t been fitted in the rear panel voids.

You didn’t get yours from *essex Vans in Poole did you?

I had similar, paid for insulation and only when I had a pop top fitted did we realise it hadn’t been fitted in the rear panel voids.

You didn’t get yours from *essex Vans in Poole did you?
Nah, Bristol Camper Company. They have now refunded me the cost of the materials and the labour I paid them to do the job.

Nice. Are those blinds on the window, where did you get them from, and easy to fit?
Standard vanshades. I’m guessing you noticed that they pull up from the bottom? This is just the bug screen. I know some people are desperate for blackouts that pull up rather than down.

F8AC14C8-F28A-4736-89F8-4CBF3D604112.jpeg

8C0A15E5-BFE1-4D12-82C2-754D5EC16D5D.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Look pretty good. I might go for those rather than curtains.
They’re expensive but they do as promised.

Full 100% blackout. LED lights on full and you can’t see a speck of light from the outside.

Brilliant insulators. At night, slide up the shade just an inch and you feel the cold come in.

Back