Thermal Efficiency

mhill

Security industry
T6 Guru
IMG_0961.JPG I've noticed over the past couple of days that the engine is completely unable to "warm up" unless your running at over 60mph.

This evening a trip back from my nans doing no more than 30 for 37 minutes over 16 miles (lots of very thick fog) I got home parked up and there was ice on the bonet as pictured above. Having seen this I went and turned the ignition on and check the oil & water temp with both sitting around 60C.

This seems rather concerning that there is a possible issue with the thermostat or is this to be expected of a modern diesel?

Drove my T5 with knackered water pump for two weeks, thought it was a thermostat until I changed it, didn't think it was a water pump issue because Halfords had fitted a new one three months ago. Was able to keep the coolant temperature down by driving with the heater on, worked a treat as long as the engine was worked too hard, apparently they don't need much cooling.

View attachment 4372 I've noticed over the past couple of days that the engine is completely unable to "warm up" unless your running at over 60mph.

This evening a trip back from my nans doing no more than 30 for 37 minutes over 16 miles (lots of very thick fog) I got home parked up and there was ice on the bonet as pictured above. Having seen this I went and turned the ignition on and check the oil & water temp with both sitting around 60C.

This seems rather concerning that there is a possible issue with the thermostat or is this to be expected of a modern diesel?
Mine is the same, it does seem to take a long time to warm up, according to the temp gauge! Although I do get warm air from the vents. But then my old van, if left to idle after a long run would cool right down to around 55-60.

Mine has done 12 mile there and 12 miles back trips to work over last two months and not got above 60! It's just the weather. In the summer when I had her she was sitting at regular temp and bluemotion was kicking in etc, but at the moment I have to switch heater right down to get bluemotion to kick in. I switch to 1 blower speed and half way temp and van warms up better and bluemotion kicks in. Just the cold weather. Nothing concerning. Better to have this than it overheating!

Mine has done 12 mile there and 12 miles back trips to work over last two months and not got above 60! It's just the weather. In the summer when I had her she was sitting at regular temp and bluemotion was kicking in etc, but at the moment I have to switch heater right down to get bluemotion to kick in. I switch to 1 blower speed and half way temp and van warms up better and bluemotion kicks in. Just the cold weather. Nothing concerning. Better to have this than it overheating!
How does bluemotion kick in? What does it actually do? Apart from the Dpf and low rolling tyres!

I do fine the engine temp on this euro 6 very up and down, i tend to watch the oil temp as a guide. As you say it seems to take a long time to get any heat in it . Good job i have heated seats or i would have froze to death on the way to work some mornings. The water temp seems to take wile to get to half way on the gauge but when it does it stays there but the oil temp is up and down a lot find that a bit strange ??

You're vans are all weird. Saw this thread last night so I thought it check today.

It's a 3mile town traffic to get out of loughborough to hit the heavy 40mph urban traffic in country side. But the time I got out of town coolant was at 65deg Ç and oil at 60. That's was a 15min journey. 1 mile later 90deg Ç coolant and the usual 75deg Ç oil temp.

It's never any different in my van.

Had my 140 in at Christmas for work and asked about the warming up and they cheated it out and all was ok. They told me and a report on the the job sheet saying it can run as low as 70 deg . My oil temp was showing 70 deg .

Back