The Yellow Campervan Question

narrative_escapes

T6 Pro
Hi

New member, so new I don't even have a T6 yet - though I'm looking around and speculating. It's quite a journey, right? :)

Anyway, I have found one I *really* like. The only thing at the moment that's stopping me pushing the button is it's Chrome Yellow. To me, it looks absolutely gorgeous and I love it.

But I'm worried I'll come to hate it. In my head, as I'm not a big car expert, I am thinking:-

- It will attract bugs and that will annoy me
- It's one paint chip away from an ugly black mark

Basically, I'll only like the yellow in the 'show room state'. So, who else has chromc yellow and how have they practically found them in terms of maintenance, chips, fading and all that sort of paint stuff? I mean, read some portions of the Internet and it's the worse decision I could ever make!

I do like it though.

Hi

New member, so new I don't even have a T6 yet - though I'm looking around and speculating. It's quite a journey, right? :)

Anyway, I have found one I *really* like. The only thing at the moment that's stopping me pushing the button is it's Chrome Yellow. To me, it looks absolutely gorgeous and I love it.

But I'm worried I'll come to hate it. In my head, as I'm not a big car expert, I am thinking:-

- It will attract bugs and that will annoy me
- It's one paint chip away from an ugly black mark

Basically, I'll only like the yellow in the 'show room state'. So, who else has chromc yellow and how have they practically found them in terms of maintenance, chips, fading and all that sort of paint stuff? I mean, read some portions of the Internet and it's the worse decision I could ever make!

I do like it though.
You’ve got to push the button, just do it, do it!

It is simply the best colour T6 and if you buy anything else after having this opportunity you’ll always feel a little bit disappointed!

All colours have their issues when it comes to maintaining them. You can ceramic coat it to keep it easier to clean and/or you can get paint protection film fitted to help against stone chips etc.

There aren’t many about either, it’s an exclusive club.

Any colour/finish can be kept looking spot on if you invest a little up front to protect it and then some time during ownership to maintain it.

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks! Just do it. That is what a few family members are telling me :)

I suspect it's related to the fact I've not purchased many vehicles and they have all been half as expensive as this van - it's second only to my house. My Focus is grey and rarely gets washed and looks okay due to the miracle of rain - oddly, I can't find any chips.

This van though - a combination of lack of experience and my previous disasters in car washing have me suffering an existential crisis - hence the fear over a problematic colour. It's entirely possible I'll ruin the van the first time I wash it (my car before this grey focus was a disaster of swirls and watermarks to the point I gave up).

Like you, my van is the most expensive vehicle I’ve owned, by double the previous one, but there are ways to look after the paintwork.

I invested in a professional detail as soon after I collected it as could be arranged. That cost me £800 and included a 2 stage machine polish which removes all swirl marks and imperfections in the paint to make it look soooooo good. After that a ceramic coating was applied which should last about 3 years, this is on all external surfaces and the wheels inside and out. I’ve dabbled in the past and am very good at maintaining a vehicles paintwork, but the ceramic coating is incredible, genuinely incredible.

It mainly serves two purposes:

1. Protection, it’s a very hard layer, which reduces the risk of dulling the paintwork with swirls etc after repeated washing.

2. It makes cleaning it so much easier. For example, a quick snow foam and rinse this weekend and it was 95% clean, so clean in fact that most people wouldn’t know it wasn’t 100%. Best part is I didn’t even have to touch the paint so no risk of wash induced damaged!

I could go on about vehicle cleaning for hours, way past the point where most people would lose interest, but a good quality detail from an independent professional (definitely not the dealer) including a ceramic coat is a very good investment and a great place to start the inevitable spending now you are a forum member!

welcome, and chrome yellow is the most nuts. I've got an oryx white van but love the chrome yellow that much I had the break calipers paint that colour

It makes cleaning it so much easier. For example, a quick snow foam and rinse this weekend and it was 95% clean, so clean in fact that most people wouldn’t know it wasn’t 100%. Best part is I didn’t even have to touch the paint so no risk of wash induced damaged.

I like the sound of that cleaning method - no rubbing at the surface of the van. Of course, I now have no idea what a snow foam is as my cleaning science involved a bucket and sponge historically, which is probably heresy.

The initial paintwork shouldn't be a problem just once it enters my hands. That is interesting.

I understand this van is supposed to save me money - hahah....yeah, I focused on flexibility as the reason - I have serious doubts about those making money saving arguments unless you're really lucky with a 'cheaper' van and can convert it yourself.

Back