Review: The Van Cave

I can highly recommend Chris for any work you need doing for your van. Had a great day (turned out to be a literal day, so next time I'll take lunch). :D

I had Koni Shocks and springs installed so it no longer drives like an ice cream van.

Startline bumper removed and new bumper installed with gloss black grilles, fog lights and front splitter. Such a massive difference, that people now wave at me.

A pleasure to take my van to a fellow enthusiast and looking forward to going back.

IMG-20211101-WA0021.jpg

2021-11-11-18-45-53-337.jpg

2021-11-11-18-47-22-391.jpg

2021-11-11-18-49-21-267.jpg

2021-11-11-18-44-44-827.jpg

I have just left The van cave after having my coilovers fitted. I also want to say as everyone else has that the service provided by Chris is top quality and very professional. Not only is Chris great at what he does he genuinely is a nice guy. As soon as I turned up the kettle went on which was a nice touch and even tho everything didn’t go perfectly smooth (few seized bolts) Chris stayed focused and got it all done.
After he had finished, unlike most places who want your money and want you out the door we went on a test drive to make sure I was 100% happy with it before I parted with any money.

Just like everyone else who has been to The van cave I would highly recommend anyone to go there . It was definitely worth the 2.5 hour drive there.

I've been talking to Chris aka The Van Cave since June about some essential upgrades to my newly converted Indium Grey T6 and settled on the following:

- LED Headlight, main beam and fog light upgrade
- Subtle front splitter
- Trapezoid side bars
- 20" Supermetal Fin alloys
- H&R ARB
- ST Suspensions ST X coilovers

Finally after months of waiting for the T32 version of the ST X to come in from Germany we are all finished. And wow what an incredible difference this has made. Just back today from 350 mile round trip and the drive was a dream. I genuinely forgot a few times that I was actually driving a van!

Doing the school run is no longer an experience akin to driving a giant plate of blacmange and wobbling around corners at 17mph scared of toppling over.

Chris has been amazing with sound advice and totally understanding the customer's needs from the start.

Couldn't be happier with the service, advice and end result - thanks @The Van Cave :)

More photos coming to the Team Indium Grey thread soon :)

Merse

Sorry but it's November and mud is everywhere :(

IMG_20211112_132656.jpg

Thanks Chris!

Well, some wheels came up (Rotiform DTM) and after I missed out on the last set I fancied (my fault for umming and arrrrring) when these came up, I jumped at the chance, a message on Instagram and on here to say me me me me me me!!! But I was 2nd in line - which is a great honest way of doing things, anyway, I then get a message over the weekend saying they are mine, an invoice appeared, I called and made payment Monday PM, delivery confirmed within no time, Wednesday morning (today) they were delivered, 2.5 hours later, tyres mounted and fitted to the van!

How’s that for efficiency!!

Thanks again! And I will definitely use you in the future!

D2D782E0-745A-4D77-BFD5-E160844AB373.jpeg

1837DC11-A36B-47C6-B51A-5C9A32E4EB0F.jpeg

3690FBD7-FC9B-4983-934E-06CDDFC29169.jpeg

Thanks Chris!

Well, some wheels came up (Rotiform DTM) and after I missed out on the last set I fancied (my fault for umming and arrrrring) when these came up, I jumped at the chance, a message on Instagram and on here to say me me me me me me!!! But I was 2nd in line - which is a great honest way of doing things, anyway, I then get a message over the weekend saying they are mine, an invoice appeared, I called and made payment Monday PM, delivery confirmed within no time, Wednesday morning (today) they were delivered, 2.5 hours later, tyres mounted and fitted to the van!

How’s that for efficiency!!

Thanks again! And I will definitely use you in the future!

View attachment 146096

View attachment 146097

View attachment 146098
Thanks for the lovely review, your van looks so good on those wheels!

Here's a nice van we have finished recently. Our customer trusted us to deliver the goods on his brand new pure grey T30 T6.1, so drove it straight to the cave from the dealer. A week later he collected it and was very, very happy. What do you guys think?

Full 3 stage sound deadening and insulation.
Additional LED lighting with dimmer for the 4 x rear spots. These have 3 position switching so can be on at any time, useful for when camping.
B Pillar USBs, switched.
12V Socket in Load Area.
Black carpet lining.
Lowered on Koni Shocks and 40mm Springs.
Velare VLR07 Diamond Black Wheels and 255/40 tyres.
Full Gloss Black front end with Orange streamers.
Colour coded lower front splitter with gloss black centre.
Gloss black badges front and rear.
Orange brake calipers all round.

It's a fantastic spec highline van with LED lights front and rear, heated seats, twin electric sliders and electric tailgate. The above mods just finish it off so well.

View attachment 148374View attachment 148375
View attachment 148372
View attachment 148373
View attachment 148370
What a fantastic job you have done on my new baby Chris. Had lots of nice compliments about it. It’s too nice to be used as a work van! Highly recommend Chris at The Van Cave.

I've just fitted a set of Inovit Blitz wheels to my van that I got from The Van Cave.
I’d like to thank ChrisR for exceptional customer service. If you’re looking for a set of Inovit wheels, I can’t recommend him enough. It makes a nice change to deal with a company that does exactly what they say they will. Excellent communication and a very happy customer!!

View attachment 117166
That wheel looks great on your van. Would love to see a picture of the whole van to see the wheels in perspective. What actual colour is your van? I have a candy white T6 and am looking at some point for wheels to replace the stock silver Davenport 17's on mine.

I was a bit stuck as to where to write a review given that there are many forum topics relating to The Van Cave, however it seems appropriate to write here as its more general. I had a set of STX coil overs fitted to my T6.1 T32 Kombi, also an upgraded H&R Anti roll bar. I can only say what a pleasure it was to deal with Chris, extremely knowledgeable especially around selecting the right kit, and for once a business not looking to maximize profits by recommending parts you don't need. Extremely clean facility, tidy work and with the ability for a customer to ask as many (probably too many in my case) questions as needed. Certainly would recommend for work, ill be returning when the time comes for more additions. Van is much smoother, and more poised on the road, less body roll, and less of that wobbly bouncy sensation that feels like you are top of a pile of rubber all while being 65mm lower. Top service.

I was a bit stuck as to where to write a review given that there are many forum topics relating to The Van Cave, however it seems appropriate to write here as its more general. I had a set of STX coil overs fitted to my T6.1 T32 Kombi, also an upgraded H&R Anti roll bar. I can only say what a pleasure it was to deal with Chris, extremely knowledgeable especially around selecting the right kit, and for once a business not looking to maximize profits by recommending parts you don't need. Extremely clean facility, tidy work and with the ability for a customer to ask as many (probably too many in my case) questions as needed. Certainly would recommend for work, ill be returning when the time comes for more additions. Van is much smoother, and more poised on the road, less body roll, and less of that wobbly bouncy sensation that feels like you are top of a pile of rubber all while being 65mm lower. Top service.
That’s a lovely review Ian, thanks. Making sure that customers get the right solution for their needs rather than needlessly up selling is really important.

I look forward to helping you further in the future.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Chris at the van cave for his excellent service.

Bought some inovit blitz alloys from him as a wheel and tire package. Sent straight away, but upon delivery the one alloy which contained the black wheel bolts, came out and damaged the spokes. So a quick phone call to Chris an he got us sorted with a replacement (once it was in stock due to back order) and also got to keep the damaged one as a spare wheel.

So many thanks Chris, I would highly recommend him for his services.

Hope to deal with you in the future
(Picture below was before I've had the b14's installed, it now sits lower lol)
20211107_215443.jpg

Just a quick review of my experience of The Van Cave.

I first met Chris back in 2021 when I read on the forum that he liked swampers. We discussed all the options of how we could make my van fit my work and family needs better than it did. We looked at most options to raise the van, make it quieter, and provide electrics for leisure batteries and mains. I was impressed with Chris’s approach, knowledge, attention to detail, and flexibility from the outset. Having been to many different converters, I was impressed with Chris’s knowledge to let him have the job.

I was able to hand the van over with no need to get it back for four weeks, but I can’t have been the most straightforward customer; whilst that was great from a build perspective as other jobs could be fitted in and around mine, it gave me too much time on my hands to think of other enhancements. Chris was happy to advise when he felt my ideas wouldn’t work but also happy to give things he had not done before a go. Such as a Front Runner roof rack and a Tuff Trek roof box tent and altering fittings to fit a Fiamma F45s to the roof box.

We now have a van with the equivalent of a large double bed on the roof and a king-size bed in the back when my ply guy’s draws are in place. The family is thrilled, and I have a van which has achieved all my aims without drilling any extra holes in the bodywork, and within a few hours, the van is back to being able to be used for work.

Chris is straightforward to work with, and we are delighted with the results.

IMG_7920.jpg

IMG_7926.jpg

IMG_7935.jpg

IMG_7938.jpg

IMG_7942.jpg

IMG_7945.jpg

I can only add to all the positive comments above, I went down to see Chris today for ST-X coilovers, H&R anti-roll bars and staggered 20" Inovit Blitz alloys and what a refreshing change to have someone with so much enthusiasm and knowledge work on your van, not someone with no real interest who treats it like any old vehicle.

Chris is a really nice guy who clearly loves what he does and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone who's considering having modifications done to their van, I will definitely be back for more.

I just want to add my own praise and gratitude to Chris at The Van Cave!

I visited him yesterday for a set of ST-X coilovers and a couple of other mods whilst I was there.

Chris has a passion and attention to detail which makes him someone you can completely trust with your van.

Rather than being a stop off on our way to Cornwall, our change in holiday plans meant I made a 7 hours round trip which I was totally worth it! (Friday afternoon in the rain, on a school half term was never going to be a quick journey home)

The van was a dream to drive and roundabouts are no longer to be feared.... :rofl:

Before :
20221021_090730.jpg
After :
20221021_135519.jpg

Now I just need to sort new wheels! :thumbsdown:

20221021_114251.jpg

20221021_114210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the positive reviews. It makes a huge difference to a small business like mine to get such good feedback.

I am extremely lucky to be able to do what I love for a living (it certainly wasn’t like that a few years ago in my previous working life) and your positive feedback is worth a huge amount on a professional and personal level.

For me it’s all about making sure that the customer gets exactly what is right for them, at the right price and most importantly, working to a very high standard of quality.

Thanks again guys and girls!

Visited Chris yesterday @ Van Cave to have
St-X Coil-overs & Spacers fitted .

So happy with the work done- Friendly , informative and for me the biggest thing , i had total trust in Chris which is so so important .
Van felt so good driving home!!

Will definitely be using Van Cave for all my future modifications .
Thanks Chris !!

Regards
Andy

Back