Review: The Van Cave

keith baker

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
A big Thankyou to Chris for his work in replacing my suspension today, a beautiful smooth ride back to Dorset from the Yeovil area where he is based. Very professional and courteous service. I had discussed the changeout with Steve at CRS and he put me in touch with Chris at The Van Cave who is much closer to me.

A big Thankyou to Chris for his work in replacing my suspension today, a beautiful smooth ride back to Dorset from the Yeovil area where he is based. Very professional and courteous service. I had discussed the changeout with Steve at CRS and he put me in touch with Chris at The Van Cave who is much closer to me.
Thanks for the positive review, it's great to hear that you're happy with the new ride, enjoy!

Just wanted to say what a great job Chris did for me earlier this week when he fitted my roof bars and side steps.

Nice chap, well worth a chat especially if you’re considering modding your T6......I'm now thinking about suspension and wheels.....

Vancave is in South Petherton in Somerset, easy to get to, waiting room etc and of course that’s where you will find @ChrisR

Will post some pics when I get them of the camera soon!

Cliff

Just had some work done by Chris at The Van Cave in Somerset; Koni shocks, ARB’s, Splitter fit, new wheels.
can’t complement his work and attitude enough. Despite some issues with my van, Chris stayed focused, dedicated and helpful, ensuring the job was completed fully and thoroughly.
If you are looking for someone to work on your van then I can’t recommend Chris enough. Top bloke, top work. Look him up on line at The Van Cave.

Chris at The Van Cave gets a thumbs up from me as well! He supplied KW V1 coil over kit (and fine tuned the ride height for me) and also a set of Inovit Frixion5 8.5" satin black dark machined finish alloys. Really helpful, enthusiastic & knowledgeable chap.

Attachments

• _20210519_164737.JPG
    _20210519_164737.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 165
  • _20210519_164715.JPG
    _20210519_164715.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0550.jpg
    DSC_0550.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 163
Chris at The Van Cave gets a thumbs up from me as well! He supplied KW V1 coil over kit (and fine tuned the ride height for me) and also a set of Inovit Frixion5 8.5" satin black dark machined finish alloys. Really helpful, enthusiastic & knowledgeable chap.
Thanks for the kind words, those Frixion 5 are a seriously good looking wheel in that colour scheme and they look awesome on your van!

I've just fitted a set of Inovit Blitz wheels to my van that I got from The Van Cave.
I’d like to thank ChrisR for exceptional customer service. If you’re looking for a set of Inovit wheels, I can’t recommend him enough. It makes a nice change to deal with a company that does exactly what they say they will. Excellent communication and a very happy customer!!

ADA05934-6C40-4729-8924-54FC6C789067.jpeg

I've just fitted a set of Inovit Blitz wheels to my van that I got from The Van Cave.
I’d like to thank ChrisR for exceptional customer service. If you’re looking for a set of Inovit wheels, I can’t recommend him enough. It makes a nice change to deal with a company that does exactly what they say they will. Excellent communication and a very happy customer!!

View attachment 117166
Lovely review! Chris is a straight-up guy - not pushy and gives good advice.

Just had ST-X suspension and new wheels supplied and fitted by Chris at the Van Cave, can't recommend him highly enough, great communication and very competitive pricing, went for almost maximum drop but the ride quality and comfort is amazing, going back to see him for my front end upgrades as soon as I have saved a few more pennies, Chris is super enthusiastic and very knowledgeable in his field and is one of only a few company's that I trust anywhere near my bus bearing tools
Thanks again Chris

IMG_0859.jpg
image0.JPEG
download.jpeg

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210928-185535_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210928-210509_Gallery.jpg

I finally made a visit to The Van Cave today for a shiny new set of Koni shocks to be fitted by Chris, following some really informative communications which helped me to determine how best to satisfy my camper conversion suspension requirements.

Upon arrival at The Cave (and after taking an opportunity to admire the resident van up close) I received a very warm and friendly greeting after which I welcomed the opportunity to learn a few things from someone who clearly has a sound engineering knowledge and a great passion for vans.

An experienced mk.1 eyeball quickly led to qualified confirmation of an earlier suggestion that addition of rear spacers would be a good addition to lift the sagging rear end.

As for the Koni shocks... I cannot believe I waited so long to upgrade - a remarkable transformation!

The change in body control and ride comfort was immediately apparent upon departing The Cave as a passenger for the test drive... and things got even better when it was my turn to get behind the wheel!

In addition to great low speed ride, a significant reduction in body roll now allows me to confidently carry increased speed through bends without drama - a major improvement over stock suspension.

My experience with Chris and The Van Cave has been first rate and I am delighted to report that the improvement to ride quality has exceeded my expectations. :thumbsup:

Just had ST-X suspension and new wheels supplied and fitted by Chris at the Van Cave, can't recommend him highly enough, great communication and very competitive pricing, went for almost maximum drop but the ride quality and comfort is amazing, going back to see him for my front end upgrades as soon as I have saved a few more pennies, Chris is super enthusiastic and very knowledgeable in his field and is one of only a few company's that I trust anywhere near my bus bearing tools
Thanks again Chris

View attachment 131662
View attachment 131661
View attachment 131663

View attachment 131648
View attachment 131654

I finally made a visit to The Van Cave today for a shiny new set of Koni shocks to be fitted by Chris, following some really informative communications which helped me to determine how best to satisfy my camper conversion suspension requirements.

Upon arrival at The Cave (and after taking an opportunity to admire the resident van up close) I received a very warm and friendly greeting after which I welcomed the opportunity to learn a few things from someone who clearly has a sound engineering knowledge and a great passion for vans.

An experienced mk.1 eyeball quickly led to qualified confirmation of an earlier suggestion that addition of rear spacers would be a good addition to lift the sagging rear end.

As for the Koni shocks... I cannot believe I waited so long to upgrade - a remarkable transformation!

The change in body control and ride comfort was immediately apparent upon departing The Cave as a passenger for the test drive... and things got even better when it was my turn to get behind the wheel!

In addition to great low speed ride, a significant reduction in body roll now allows me to confidently carry increased speed through bends without drama - a major improvement over stock suspension.

My experience with Chris and The Van Cave has been first rate and I am delighted to report that the improvement to ride quality has exceeded my expectations. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for the positive reviews. It's always great to hear such positive comments. Two different suspension solutions for two very different sets of requirements, but the perfect outcome for both. All the best chaps!

Anybody wanting any work done in the Somerset area, l can throughly recommend The Van Cave.
I came across Chris on this forum and he was local to me as I live in Yeovil.
Thought I would give him ago at a few mods I had planned for my van.
Can’t recommend Chris enough.
My van is almost where I want it to be with only a bed to sort out now.
Chris has helped me out with the following.
Fitted new THQ headlights at the same time as gloss black grilles.
Fitted 240v electrics along with split chargers etc with solar capability.
Fully sound deadened and insulated.
Fitted downlighters and halo plus multi colour option leds.
Replaced rear headlining with one piece and fully relined all roof panels plus A & B pillars with suede look.
Fitted touch to turn on down lighters to tailgate.
Fitted USB sockets in the rear.
Fitted adjustable coil overs and springs.
Got mirror surrounds sprayed gloss black.
Upgraded my leisure battery.
Fitted awning rail which he got powder coated satin black for me.
He also supplied me with the most gorgeous set of innovit wheels that he got powder coated gloss black for me.
I,m sure there are a few other things I have missed out.
Chris has been so knowledgeable and helpful throughout the whole process, can’t thank him enough.
Give him a try, you won’t be disappointed.

Anybody wanting any work done in the Somerset area, l can throughly recommend The Van Cave.
I came across Chris on this forum and he was local to me as I live in Yeovil.
Thought I would give him ago at a few mods I had planned for my van.
Can’t recommend Chris enough.
My van is almost where I want it to be with only a bed to sort out now.
Chris has helped me out with the following.
Fitted new THQ headlights at the same time as gloss black grilles.
Fitted 240v electrics along with split chargers etc with solar capability.
Fully sound deadened and insulated.
Fitted downlighters and halo plus multi colour option leds.
Replaced rear headlining with one piece and fully relined all roof panels plus A & B pillars with suede look.
Fitted touch to turn on down lighters to tailgate.
Fitted USB sockets in the rear.
Fitted adjustable coil overs and springs.
Got mirror surrounds sprayed gloss black.
Upgraded my leisure battery.
Fitted awning rail which he got powder coated satin black for me.
He also supplied me with the most gorgeous set of innovit wheels that he got powder coated gloss black for me.
I,m sure there are a few other things I have missed out.
Chris has been so knowledgeable and helpful throughout the whole process, can’t thank him enough.
Give him a try, you won’t be disappointed.
Sounds great, you have any pictures? some great mods there!

Back