The darned VW bumper protector

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
The detailer who came the other day didn't have time to do the bumper protector bought with the van and fitted by the dealer - the van is a year old and the plastic looks about ten years old - shocking amount of fading and staining.

Anyone tried anything? I have a plastic restorer but it doesn't work for long. GTechniq C4 is massive money but maybe worth it.

But I'm also wondering about just contacting the dealer and telling them to replace it under warranty as they have clearly used plastic usually reserved for Peroduas.

Any thoughts? Really don't like the chrome one so that's a no no.

Tried a hair drier on it to freshen it up? Thats what I do when restoring motorcycle plastics
:thumbsup:

I was thinking exactly the same regarding mine
There is a vw accessory that has a silver/stainless steel look to it; not sure what it would look like on mine, but the OEM black plastic jobby is very low-rent:(

Have you tried something like this: Simoniz Back To Black Bumper Shine 500ml

I have a plain black bumper protector from Rearguards and general always give it a quick spray of 'back to black' after every wash - afraid I can't comment on longevity yet as it's only be on the bumper for 3 months.

I have something similar but it doesn't last long.

I've emailed the dealer and will see what they say.

Loz that looks useful!

Peanut butter is supposed to be good, may attract attention from a few hungry dogs/foxes tho !

mines the same. looks terrible when the vans been cleaned, i was thinking maybe aerosol matt black paint then aerosol matt lacquer ....

The one on my old T5 looked awful, but i went for genuine again, as the VW catalogue implied that it would be a different finish-

Rear bumper protector. – Black. ZGB7H0071203

Black, not painted. ZGB7H0072200

The first part No being the T6 one, and the 2nd part No being for the outgoing T5.1.

Anyway, its just the same finish, and fading already.

Mine's in on the 11th to have it replaced- I will then seal it properly.
Also having a software update, a possible steering issue looked at and maybe look at getting the plastic lower seat back cover replaced - it got broken when the utter goons at the seat cover company thought it was a good idea to just pull it off (I also rounded off an armrest bolt -grrrrr).

Try W.A.C. Vinyl polish works well lasts for weeks We use it on the bumpers of an old T4 brings them up like new

Back