TfL - Rotherhithe Tunnel fine

This brings back some very bad memories....

Done me a while back as I too had been using the Rotherhithe virtually all my driving career and was working nights in South London and just went into auto pilot. Tower Bridge was closed so decided to use the tunnel. Signs are seriously hard to see at night and went through about six times over the course of the week. Ended up with a total of £750 worth of kin fines.......

took it to appeal and got told tough and had to pay.... the Arbitrator was very close to getting a little more than he bargained for that day.... the tunnel has been used by van and lorries for years and now they come up with the idea that’s not suitable for today’s environment and I agree with you all that that is just “bang out of order”. Vehicles that meet the ULEZ restrictions should be allowed to use the tunnel whether they be vans or cars.

Just another thing I argued with the arbitration board was that the sign totally gives the impression of a LORRY not a van. But got told it related to a “commercial vehicle“......

I've got this T-shirt too. It doesn't look a low tunnel and no height barrier to warn you. Cash cow for tfl

I don't fully understand what triggers the process of issuing the fine?

Is it an automated check of the classification of all vehicles performed, which then results in a fine if found to be N1?

Or

Is it only vehicles which trigger "a breach in height" that alerts them to check the classification of the vehicle?

Either way I can see that a T6 going through is a breach or their daft rules, but I just wondered if lowered vehicles under 2m which can fit under the new height barrier may get away without the fine?

Re: my challenge to TFLs attempted prosecution for “illegally” entering Rotherhithe Tunnel. It seems that the tunnel warning signs were not changed and TFL in their typical machiavellian way decided instead to hang those massive steel barriers over the tunnel entrances as if defending their castle from siege. If they can’t stop an invasion of all N1 vehicles one way they will smash the roof or sides off all high and wide ones. I now wonder what new schemes they are are plotting to defend their castle. Automatic spike strips?!!
Or maybe portcullis with murder holes! :uh run:

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 18.05.06.png

It’s an automated check with DVLA under the classification of your vehicle and that then flags up the gross weight of your van etc. This doesn’t matter if your driving a camper, mini bus, van or anything else if it exceeds the weight limit, as the old saying from the Sweeney “you’re nicked”.

it is just another money making exercise for TFL (daylight robbers in plain sight) unfortunately the signs Aren’t!!!!

Bastardos just sent me a fine today. Pretty sure I went through twice as part of a return journey. Looks like it's not worth appealing.

Back