Tent instead of Awning - campsite reactions?

Alan B

We had a small awning with our Transporter, and were obviously able to pitch as van and awning on sites, but we're now thinking a 4 man tent would provide a more comfortable/flexible arrangement, but I'm finding it difficult to clarify how sites will treat this. Will it be the same as a van and awning, or will it count as two units ? I've asked the Caravan Club but they gave a rather vague answer which ended up as being at the wardens discretion ! Wondered what people's experiences have been. (there are only two of us).

We are booked into a site in Wales later in the year where we are tenting but will be taking the camper. they are regarding it as a vehicle to be left in the car park. So you may have the same scenario.

We have a large 4 man tent and call it an awning.. we put it really close to the van like an awning and we have never had any problems with that. (2 adults and 2 young kids)

Good luck

We are booked into a site in Wales later in the year where we are tenting but will be taking the camper. they are regarding it as a vehicle to be left in the car park. So you may have the same scenario.

Wouldn't find this very satisfactory, as one of us sleeps in the van, and the other in awning/tent, and fridge/TV/food/etc all in the van.

Wouldn't find this very satisfactory, as one of us sleeps in the van, and the other in awning/tent, and fridge/TV/food/etc all in the van.
Yes not ideal if you intend ‘using the van’ so to speak. I’m ok with it personally as we are camping with friends in any case.

I thought you just paid for a pitch whatever you put on it. The camp sites we’ve been to have all been fairly laid back providing you’re not blaring music or setting fire to the place!

Reactions: JOG
Whenever I’ve done that, there hasn’t been an issue, particularly if placed close to the van to serve as an awning would.

Hi,

We have a large tent - however we are finding more and more sites insist it must be an awning - otherwise we would be classed as two units. One even stated it was Health and Safety rules - not quite sure how...

'Normal camp sites you'd probably be ok, but some of the officous ones possibly not - we stayed at Castlerigg in Keswick and they came over to ensure it was an awning whilst setting it up...

So ended up purchasing a large awning to save any hassle and be able to fo anywhere, so might end up selling our tent as not that much size difference

I dont see what the issue is - the footprint of the van is only slightly bigger than my Skoda Superb.

Times we’ve taken two cars (the reason for buying the van!) we’ve generally parked one away from the tents.

We once went to a site up near Loch Lomond and we’re not allowed to have our tent next to the van- the warden came over and said we had to take it down as it was not actually attached to the van ….. something about being a fire hazard ? Very strange

Hi,

We have a large tent - however we are finding more and more sites insist it must be an awning - otherwise we would be classed as two units. One even stated it was Health and Safety rules - not quite sure how...

'Normal camp sites you'd probably be ok, but some of the officous ones possibly not - we stayed at Castlerigg in Keswick and they came over to ensure it was an awning whilst setting it up...

So ended up purchasing a large awning to save any hassle and be able to fo anywhere, so might end up selling our tent as not that much size difference
There are some job worths out there!

We once went to a site up near Loch Lomond and we’re not allowed to have our tent next to the van- the warden came over and said we had to take it down as it was not actually attached to the van ….. something about being a fire hazard ? Very strange
Of course an awning is made of asbestos!!

Def worth checking out guys before pitching up, excuse the pun. I spoke to couple at weekend who were forced to take down toilet tent next to campervan. Again, due to fire risk. They had to use windbreak to form some sort of privacy! This was up in Portrush Northern Ireland. Also rules there about noone sleeping in awning... Again worth checking site specific. Assume nothing!

Back