Teahupoo Roof Rails:

Ichiban

Does anyone know what roof rails are fitted onto their 2019 build T6 vans? and what the safe loading of this roof is? Messaged Teahupoo only to find their Customer Aftermarket Support is non-existent.

Welcome @Ichiban.

We have a 2018 built Teahupo’o conversion.

I could never get a straight answer to any questions like this from them either. When I asked what the weight limit is for their pop top roof bed, I was told it could take two average adults...our 9 old old son uses it, so ok....

If they are the same as ours, I would say that the roof bars are purely cosmetic, the mounts are plastic and not very substantial to my eye (we don’t use them, and for us they were just cosmetic, so not too bothered).

Be interested to know if you do get an answer!

Andy

Welcome @Ichiban.

We have a 2018 built Teahupo’o conversion.

I could never get a straight answer to any questions like this from them either. When I asked what the weight limit is for their pop top roof bed, I was told it could take two average adults...our 9 old old son uses it, so ok....

If they are the same as ours, I would say that the roof bars are purely cosmetic, the mounts are plastic and not very substantial to my eye (we don’t use them, and for us they were just cosmetic, so not too bothered).

Be interested to know if you do get an answer!

Andy
Hi Andy,
Many thanks for your feedback. I'll let you know if we get an answer...
We purchased a May 2019 conversion that had only been used twice due to the injury of the owner, then Covid-19. On cleaning the top I've found radial gel coat cracks around the left hand inner bolt fixing. Two weeks ago I discussed this with Russell who advised me that it had clearly been abused, but agreed to get the manufacturer to make a proposal to repair. A week later Russell calls and continues the rhetoric of the roof having been stood on, kayak's mounted on the roof etc, etc. Nothing which he can substantiate. He shows not interest in the customer journey. This week will be two weeks with no substantial and meaningful feedback.

Paul

That is interesting Paul. Russell told us that they made the pop tops themselves....

That is interesting Paul. Russell told us that they made the pop tops themselves....

Morning Andy.
The layup of the roof was done by a company in Nottingham. Russell refers to them as ‘Russians’. Teahupoo has a new roof design (apparently slimmer in profile on no holes) but they are using current stock first for current builds.

Like the Teahupoo statement that the cabinets are made from solid wood...MDF to be precise.

Interesting. So you have to new version? Any pictures?

Out of interest, are they still putting in the PMS3 and split charge relay electrical system?

Discovered through this forum that it doesn’t charge the leisure battery with the intelligent alternator that the T6 has, and requires a battery to battery charger to be installed (search for PMS3)...

Interesting. So you have to new version? Any pictures?

Out of interest, are they still putting in the PMS3 and split charge relay electrical system?

Discovered through this forum that it doesn’t charge the leisure battery with the intelligent alternator that the T6 has, and requires a battery to battery charger to be installed (search for PMS3)...

Hi Andy,
Our T6 Conversion has the old style roof and yes the PMS Charger. I’ll research the applicable thread. We are planning to do the Scottish North Coast 500 in a few weeks time, so will be off-grid for most of the time. If the charge system is not effective and we keep deep cycling the leisure battery it’s not going to last long. Getting to the leisure battery will be another challenge! How the hell are you expected to get access?

I noticed yesterday that the PMS 3 is fitted with countersunk wood screws on a flat face plate...stupid. I’ve fitted black stainless cup washers as I don’t want people with cut fingers.

Before I purchased this van from the original owner I inquired with Russell about the fitment of a roof mounted solar panel? His comment was that this was not needed due to the capability of the split charge system.

Have I purchased a lemon?

Paul

You are so right about the wood screws.

Yes, unusual location under the rear seats.

Have a look at my conversation about this with @travelvolts (link below). He is highly rated on here (have a look at his website too, there is some really useful info on there about this problem). I will be getting a solar panel and the kit he suggests to allow us to go off grid when funds allow. Definitely required...

No, it’s definitely not a lemon, we are very happy with our van - though as you live with it (and see what everyone else is doing with theirs on here!) you will find yourself buying lots of things that you never knew you needed!

Our T6 Conversion has the old style roof and yes the PMS Charger. I’ll research the applicable thread. We are planning to do the Scottish North Coast 500 in a few weeks time, so will be off-grid for most of the time. If the charge system is not effective and we keep deep cycling the leisure battery it’s not going to last long. Getting to the leisure battery will be another challenge! How the hell are you expected to get access?

I would get in contact with @travelvolts before you go. He’s not too far from you in Kidderminster - he could sort you a DC-DC charger before you go, and possibly a portable plug-in solar panel.

Pete

Back