Tank Size Solved

CX16

T6 Pro
Have solved the mystery of the actual size of my fuel tank by running it down to zero on the computer and then filling to the brim with 78.26 ltrs , as I believe some people have discovered in the past you can run down to below zero, this suggests a one and three quarter litres reserve in an 80 litres tank. This is with a T6 4x4 (2016) that does exactly 500 miles to a tank full.

I have a 70ltr tank my2018. Wasnt made aware that the 80ltr was an option at that point..

Our previous T5.1 was 80ltr standard.

Not sure of when the change over date was.

Wasn't it to coincide with the introduction of adblue and having to find space for the tank?

Yes that would make sense....

Though a 80ltr fuel tank is a paid for option upgrade that the dealer never told me about.... and wasnt listed in the literature at the time.

All eu5 vans get 80 as standard then when they switched to eu6 it dropped to a 70 as standard (plus an adblu tank) with the 80 being a paid option
There you go then . . . shame i wasnt made aware at the time . . . .as i would have opted for the larger tank.

at the time of order on our eu6 4motion the 80l tank wasn't an option otherwise I would have ordered it..

The tanks retail around the £400 mark and i imagine you may need a few other o rings/washers/bolts maybe ??

In that case I will just keep filling up earlier. If only the option was there st the time.

Just returned from cornwall and managed to do it on 1 tank at last(previous times needed to add enroute). Thought I would fill it up before getting my lad his mcDs. Well I just managed to squeeze 70 litres into my 70 litre tank. Would have been embarrassing running out in the drive thru.

Always thought I had a 70l tank but just put 72.58 litres in with 18 miles range on the MFD. Doesnt sound like enough range to be an 80l tank but then where did the other 2.58litres go? Drive a 6.1 caravelle exec, 150 DSG

Interestingly according to carwow the T7 multivan 150 DSG diesel has a 58 litre tank. Each new model has a smaller diesel tank?

It is customary to quote tank capacity not as an absolute volume, but to allow for ullage (expansion or headspace ) which can be around 10-20%. It also doesn’t include the capacity of the filler tube. Ullage - Wikipedia
Therefore, it’s quite understandable that a 70L tank can be filled with 75-78L, an 80L tank could be filled with 85-90L of diesel. It’s also worth noting that the fuel pickup pipes rarely go to the absolute bottom of the tank.

Back