Tambour Door Traumas / Solutions?

Tartanfairy

Hi All,

Hoping I could pick the brains of those that may have experienced this issue before and (hopefully) come up with a workable solution.

We planned and received our new conversion back in May, complete with side units with tambour (roller) doors on all cupboards. We've now been using it regularly throughout the summer and have come across an annoying issue - we're finding we can't leave any items 'loose' in the cupboards as invariably they get wedged into the circular hollow inside the tambour spiral track, leaving you unable to open the door (as the item is blocking the spiral track and thus the door from rolling into the track). I've now spent many (painful!) hour trying to get my hand in far enough to move the item - resorting to fashioning hooks with metal coat hangers!

We've now got all items in tall plastic tubs inside the cupboards, so nothing can fall into the track, but I'd love to know if anyone has come up with a different / less space hungry solution to this issue - any suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds drastic.. but i have seen this before and a mate has cut a 4"(or 6") pipe in half and glued it to the edge of the track,thus protecting the whole corner.. providing your sliding left or right.

Sounds drastic.. but i have seen this before and a mate has cut a 4"(or 6") pipe in half and glued it to the edge of the track,thus protecting the whole corner.. providing your sliding left or right.

Yes - that’s a great idea - block anything from getting in the whole spiral.....might have some time with my head in cupboards coming up.....thankfully issue only affects left/right cupboards

Perhaps a plastic tub with similar foot print to the spiral. Cut the base off and cut a slot about 1 inch in one corner to allow the tambour slats to pass through. Place and fix it over and the spiral. Or alternatively build up the sides of the spiral with thin ply, mdf or plastic so as to act as a barrier to stop things rolling into the track.

20181202_194328.jpg

Yes - that’s a great idea - block anything from getting in the whole spiral.....might have some time with my head in cupboards coming up.....thankfully issue only affects left/right cupboards

My mate also believes it stops clothes getting dragged into the closure.. but not sure about this...

Back