Tailgate to Barn-Door Conversion

Hi all and merry Xmas . Just bought a t6 at a decent price and whilst searching the interweb saw that there’s a kit to convert the barn doors into a tailgate , problem is can’t find a tailgate. There plenty of t5.1 and t5 ones . Question is ,do either of those fit onto a t6 as they look very similar . Hope I’m not been thick here , thanks in advance

Hi All,

I’m currently after a transporter 4motion but most I’m coming across have tailgates, unfortunately I’d love a tailgate but need barn doors for my requirements. Is this an easy conversion if I find the right one but only problem is the tailgate.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There’s a few threads on this from that have done/are doing it if you have a search around

There’s a few threads on this from that have done/are doing it if you have a search around

Thanks, yes I’ve found a few threads of people considering changing from rear barn doors to tailgates however I’m looking to potentially do it the other way round. Just as easy?

Sorry didn’t read properly thought you were going the same way, changing to barn doors will require the bumper replacing, might be worth getting in touch with the two guys doing it they may have some parts you need ?

@Ads_Essex

Hello @craigblues
I’ve done this the other way - barn door to tailgate.
I’d imagine the hardest part would be mounting the doors - the tailgate hinge holes are already there on the barn door models but I think the barn-door hinges aren’t present on tailgate models.
The conversion kit for mine fixed the ballpin in to the hinge hole (for the tailgate struts) - it still needed a rivnut drilling on each side, so I don’t see the reverse being an impossibility. The only concern may then be the strength of the panel work where the hinges would mount.

Then it’d be a case of changing the wiring loom, the doors, taillamps and rear bumper, changing out the singular door latch for two and adding the two door catches at the top.

Is this something you’d do yourself?

Well it was something I was considering as all the ones I can find are currently tailgate and I need barn door style, typicallly.

But I think it might be more hassle than it’s worth so now looking at a new build. Oh dear!

Life is weird. We favoured a tailgate, but everything was barn door when we were looking last year.

If it is possible I bet you’d find someone to swap!

Both vans on the drive and parts swap!!

So it is physically possible then? Fixing points etc are all there?

I see plenty of swaps the other way but I just don’t like the tailgates.

Thanks.

I dont know for sure but dont see why not. Here are some pics of the door jamb on mine. The check strap must have a hole in the bodywork whereas the hinges maybe not just threaded bosses. I know the bottom threshold on mine has the fixings for the centre latch of the tailgate. There is a hole below the light each side where the loom goes through.

465126D0-6C7B-4A02-9E24-6BC7C6D5BA2C.jpeg

3032DB94-000C-44CD-9CBF-0456881342BE.jpeg

C74B93BC-8025-435C-8949-0F5385229050.jpeg

87F441C8-86C3-4F20-9E89-9F8BA8297E53.jpeg

If you need any other pics let me know

I’m guessing you’d be better just changing your van to a barn door version, there’s plenty out there or swapping with someone? I bet there’s people out there up for a swap As far as I’m aware the tailgate is more desirable ?

I believe on tailgate versions there is no hinge reinforcement For barn doors and due to the location would be difficult to add

Aren't the bumpers different to accommodate the barn door sweep radius?
When you look for bumper trims, and mud guards for that matter, they specify whether it is for tailgate or barn door.
Just a thought...

In my pics you can see the spot welds for the strengthening plate inside the box section, where the hinges bolt on.

Aren't the bumpers different to accommodate the barn door sweep radius?
When you look for bumper trims, and mud guards for that matter, they specify whether it is for tailgate or barn door.
Just a thought...
They are, but compared to the potential hinge issues I’d say that’s minor.
It sounds like the T6.1 doors have microswitched locks as opposed to the older rod actuator locks - so I’d consider looking in to those rather than T6 locks.

Back