[Guide] Tailgate switch retrofit How To Video

A2dczealous

VIP Member
Hi all,

I’ve made a video on my YouTube channel to show how to retrofit a tailgate switch to open it from the inside, take a look and subscribe if you like what you see

Cheers,
CDAT

Hi CDAT

Thanks for your excellent video regarding tailgate internal release switch fitting, very informative & easy to follow.

Last night I fitted a momentary switch, following your advice. The only confusion I had was as a result of trying to test the actuator operation by bridging the two terminals in the blue connector. After much head scratching as to why the actuator wouldn't spring into life for me during this test I realised that the actuator only works whilst the tailgate is closed, which it was in your installation video.

In my case I had to install the switch with the tailgate fully open due to having a Chair Pod attached to my tailgate, which I didn't want remove (I was able to partly release the Chair Pod by removing the bottom row of panel clips, sufficient to give enough room to connect the wiring with Scotch Lock clips) I found the Scotch Lock clips a simple and effective way of connecting the cables, thanks for that tip as well. The only soldering necessary was to connect the wires to the momentary switch itself, I couldn't find a version with screw connectors

Due to the Chair Pod installation on the tailgate I fitted the momentary switch into the rear wiper housing as per the attached photo, this makes the switch easily accessible

It now works a treat
Tailgate switch.jpg

Hi CDAT

Thanks for your excellent video regarding tailgate internal release switch fitting, very informative & easy to follow.

Last night I fitted a momentary switch, following your advice. The only confusion I had was as a result of trying to test the actuator operation by bridging the two terminals in the blue connector. After much head scratching as to why the actuator wouldn't spring into life for me during this test I realised that the actuator only works whilst the tailgate is closed, which it was in your installation video.

In my case I had to install the switch with the tailgate fully open due to having a Chair Pod attached to my tailgate, which I didn't want remove (I was able to partly release the Chair Pod by removing the bottom row of panel clips, sufficient to give enough room to connect the wiring with Scotch Lock clips) I found the Scotch Lock clips a simple and effective way of connecting the cables, thanks for that tip as well. The only soldering necessary was to connect the wires to the momentary switch itself, I couldn't find a version with screw connectors

Due to the Chair Pod installation on the tailgate I fitted the momentary switch into the rear wiper housing as per the attached photo, this makes the switch easily accessible

It now works a treat
View attachment 75810
Hi,

that’s great to hear, the main reason I make them is to share a little of what I’ve learnt to hopefully make the process easier for others, I’m constantly on YouTube learning from others and think it’s such a great platform.

love the location of your switch! Wish I had thought of that. Next time for sure.

Cheers for the feedback

Hi CDAT

It now works a treat
View attachment 75810
Hi CDAT

It now works a treat
View attachment 75810
Hi,
I want to do the same mod on my van tailgate. Would you be so kind as to send me some links to where I can buy the parts?

Regards.

Pete.

Hi Pete

Here is the switch I bought:

and the connector clips (I bought the blue version for the cable I used)

and the cable I bought

As long as you can solder the switch then it was a simple installation

Hi Pete

and the cable I bought

Thanks,
I will get someone to solder it for me, as I want it doing properly. I will just have to watch the video a few more times to understand the scotchlok installation, as his hands were hiding most of what he was doing.

Regards.

Pete.

If i were you i would look for a youtube video on scotchlocks, thats how i found how to fit them

I have fitted them before. Just watched video the again and it is clearer which wires are tapped,now.

Hi Pete

and the cable I bought

Kit ordered to complete the mod.

I know this is a T6 fit but I can't find any answers to be able to tap into a 2008 T5 Tailgate lock. Does anyone know which wires switch it on this type of lock? Thanks in advance
IMG_1967.jpg

It doesn't seem to have only 1 cable with 2 wires going to it, but instead one smaller cable with 3 wires that consist of 1 Brown and 2 White wires?

IMG_1968.jpg

I'm looking to fit a momentary switch for the tailgate to release from the inside and have read a few threads about it so have a pretty good idea of how to go about it.

I'd like the actual switch to be illuminated as my carpet lining is dark and I want to be able to find it !!
I already have an illuminated on/off switch in place near the handle strap for 2 x spotlights. Would I be able to tap into that for the feed ? Will there be 1 or 2 additional wires to tap into. Electrics not my strong point as you may understand....

I'm looking to fit a momentary switch for the tailgate to release from the inside and have read a few threads about it so have a pretty good idea of how to go about it.

I'd like the actual switch to be illuminated as my carpet lining is dark and I want to be able to find it !!
I already have an illuminated on/off switch in place near the handle strap for 2 x spotlights. Would I be able to tap into that for the feed ? Will there be 1 or 2 additional wires to tap into. Electrics not my strong point as you may understand....
Do you want it to be illuminated all the time? Or just when the courtesy lights come on?

Back