Power-Latching Tailgate weird issue

ChrisG

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Guys, I have factory fitted power latching on the tailgate but it’s stopped working, causing the tailgate to rattle as it doesn’t seem to close, I’ve hoovered our all round the latch but still no joy and the thought of a trip across Manchester to the main dealer doesn’t fill me with joy - anyone got any ideas for a quick fix....?

Appreciate any comments / advice.
Tks.

Check all fuses ...

Does the dash show All doors open/close ok?

Appart from that you need to plug it in...

Power latching is not connected to the canbus it’s a stand alone system, it’s basically a relay that takes a switching signal so other than checking the power supply fuse (shares power with side door latching so if that still works it’s ok) the only way to test/diagnose it is to open up rear quarter panel and test the wires at the controller and make sure it’s getting the negative return from the tailgate lock

Mine does the same on the slider. If I switch it lock and unlock again it seems to work again. Will mention in when next in the dealer.

Hi Guys, thanks for responding - I knew I would get sensible info..... both electric sliders are working fine, so I’ll open up the quarter panel and have a look, it has been intermittent before this apparent complete failure, so perhaps my DIY insulating has dislodged a connection....

so no need to take the tailgate panel itself off???

No there’s nothing in the tailgate to check other than the wires being connected to the lock motor

Same here .... every now and then the power tailgate closes itself fine but doesn't quite latch.

The weird thing I noticed was, that if a side slide door (also power close and latch) was open, that's when the tailgate did it. If I closed all side sliders the tailgate was fine...

:confused::confused::confused:o_O

Last edited:
I don’t have any oddness with the sliders, everyone is different - I think that’s called “character”......

As it says above. Came out to the bus this morning opened the tailgate and when i came to shut it noticed its not power latching. Anyone any ideas how to fix or if it can be reset?.

@Salty Spuds might be able to impart some advice, as his went recently:

Is it the door latch or the body latch that’s failing? Both of mine have failed. The bit of bent wire inside the tailgate that connects the electric actuator to the catch has dropped off & the rotating cam/peg on the body isn’t rotating. It’s going in tomorrow to the dealers. Watch this space.

ah here we are:
Just to close this down, it went into the dealers last week & they refitted the the rod between the actuator & latch in the tailgate. I got a call to say it was all done. I asked if they had also sorted out the power latching, to which the service girl assured me that it was all working.
I then get a phone call to say that the technician isn’t happy with the power latching operation, hmmm. They ordered a replacement BCM & latching motor. I asked if I could replace the tailgate Cali chair kit & was told yes, as the tailgate latch was working perfectly & the tailgate showed up as “closed” on the MFD.

Cut a long story short, they had it back again yesterday & it was the microswitch in the tailgate even though it was supposed to be working.
Anyway I’ve got it back & it works: for now:unsure:

Microswitch in the tailgate.

If this is the microswitch component (upper) then, once your tailgate panel had been removed, it’s pretty easy to get to and remove.

full?d=1510492627.jpg

So providing the part is in, it could be a while-you-wait job.

The power-latching relay itself sits in the R/N/S quarter just above the rear side of the wheel-arch.

Last edited:
Im in wales next week not far from wrexham so il give them a bell. Its opening and closing fine just not power latching and nothing showing on the mfd on the dash.

Im in wales next week not far from wrexham so il give them a bell. Its opening and closing fine just not power latching and nothing showing on the mfd on the dash.
Is the slider closing on the power-latching ok? If it is, then that’ll narrow it down to either the wiring or the motor, I’d guess.

Back