Tailgate upgrade

Manni_Van_Fred

Hi I'm looking at installing a window into the tailgate of my very basic T32, however trying to get my head around anything that requires the use of 2 or more brain cells is a challenge to say the least
What do I need if the glass is heated and has a wiper hole, is there a simple way to install a wiper motor with wash facility and wiring up the heated screen etc.,
I've heard people mention replacing the steering stalk and also swapping out the climate control unit with one with a heater button, plus some kind of management upgrade
Also can I install a release handle to open the tailgate from the inside of the van
Part numbers would be a great help
Many thanks
Manni

Hi there,

We are currently installing a tailgate into our 2016 Startline Van, before it is converted to a camper van during November. I think the donor tailgate is from a California and has a heated rear screen, and the wash wipe system/motor.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get this working, and what parts I would need to obtain - for example a new stalk etc.

Thanks.

Nick

Hi there,

We are currently installing a tailgate into our 2016 Startline Van, before it is converted to a camper van during November. I think the donor tailgate is from a California and has a heated rear screen, and the wash wipe system/motor.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get this working, and what parts I would need to obtain - for example a new stalk etc.

Thanks.

Nick
I thought Cali’s had a double-glazed rear window and were sans wiper?
Anyhow.
@Littleblackflash might be able to help, as he converted his barn-door van to a tailgate and added a rear wiper along with HRW. Click on his name and you’ll see his posts/threads

Hi @Littleblackflash

Do you have a 'how to guide' on this mod? And was it straightforward? Whilst I'm reasonably handy with the spanners, I haven't done any electrical work, so any help and advice would be most welcome.

Also, when you did your tailgate conversion where did you source the plug that goes into the rear light cluster, as it's different from the barn door connector.

Thanks!

IMG_4481.jpeg

Have you read this thread?

Have you read this thread?

Thanks @Littleblackflash - you really know what you are doing! And thanks for adding the bit about the stalk. How did you connect your rear lights - it looks like your connector is the same as the barn door version.

Back