Tailgate Gas Strut - one only?

gal2009

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Had ply sound deadening and insulating done to the tailgate. The existing struts now struggle a bit.
Not to the point of not wanting to open, but they just need a bit of help on the last bit.
Question is : If i buy uprated struts, can i just put one uprated on and leave the other standard?

The updated California gas struts, if installed when no weight is put through the tailgate, put quite a bit of strain on the section of roof where the hinges are fixed. So I’d say no. Fit them both to the same rating.

There is an intermediate rated strut above the std but below the 1200Nm of the Cali, I have them fitted to mine, think they're around 950Nm. They came from the forum shop.

Edit: These ones, 985Nm Pair Of Genuine VW T6 Tailgate Gas Struts

Yeah had a look at those. I was going after market @1200Nm but was a bit doubtful on the additional power. Had visions of getting an upper cut from the tail gate.

1200 will be way to much without a bike rack fitted, they are designed for an extra 14-15KGs on there not the 1 or 2 kgs deadening adds
I have 985 on mine gary you are welcome to pull one off and try it on yours if you want to experiment ?

In fact what am i saying i have fitted 1200 on mine for my bike rack so i have a set of 985 on the shelf that were fitted for a few months prior to the rack going on, you are welcome to try them out

I love it when every thing slots into place like this. I'm pretty confident 985s will be spot on . Just pm me cost and i'll pick them up off you.
Thanks Paul.:thumbsup:

They are at the office mate, i will put them in the van over the weekend and catchup with you one day, your welcome to try them out and see what you think first

1200 will be way to much without a bike rack fitted, they are designed for an extra 14-15KGs on there not the 1 or 2 kgs deadening adds
I have 985 on mine gary you are welcome to pull one off and try it on yours if you want to experiment ?

In fact what am i saying i have fitted 1200 on mine for my bike rack so i have a set of 985 on the shelf that were fitted for a few months prior to the rack going on, you are welcome to try them out
I'm just struggling a little with that middle sentence there..........

It’s like when I started to play football for a new team, to be fair I wasn’t playing well. The manager shouted to me “if you don’t start playing better I’m going to pull you off at half time”. I thought crikey we only got half an orange at my last team.

It’s like when I started to play football for a new team, to be fair I wasn’t playing well. The manager shouted to me “if you don’t start playing better I’m going to pull you off at half time”. I thought crikey we only got half an orange at my last team.
Boom Boom!!

Hi Got the same issue since sound deadening mine, did the 985 struts work ok

Thanks, will get some ordered before taking anymore chunks out of my head ;)

Back