Tailgate dropped down?

ma77y

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all

I have tried to search for an already discussed thread but no luck (for me anyway).

So it looks like my tailgate has dropped on the left side, there is an indentation on the bumper protector where its been sitting.

Has anyone else had this issue? What is the best way to rectify this? Would it be the nuts on the inside that I need to loosen or the spline bolts on the outside?

Cheers

20210913_165927.jpg

20210913_165919.jpg

20210913_165936.jpg

20210913_165942.jpg

Hi. Is it definitely the tailgate and not the bumper that's had a nudge? From the photos it's not massively off to my eye, how does it sit around the rear lights?

Hi all

I have tried to search for an already discussed thread but no luck (for me anyway).

So it looks like my tailgate has dropped on the left side, there is an indentation on the bumper protector where its been sitting.

Has anyone else had this issue? What is the best way to rectify this? Would it be the nuts on the inside that I need to loosen or the spline bolts on the outside?
A box spanner on the nuts inside. See the third photo down in this post if you’re not sure where they are (in case yours are covered over). I couldn’t tell you the torque setting though.

It’ll be interesting to hear how or why it’s dropped.

I was looking to adjust my tailgate and found this online.

Attachments

• Rear_Lid_Removal_&_Replacement.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
I honestly have no idea as I bought it last Thursday. One of the things I forgot to look for was panel gaps. The tailgate is straight and doesn't look damaged in any way, also the area around the hinges look straight too.

oh - I’d assumed you’d have checked the rest of the tailgate for movement - it may not have moved then.
Have you got a bumper protector fitted?
Do the swage lines match from the side, through the taillamps, to the rear?
Are there signs of movement in the paintwork where the hinges affix (look above them)?

EDIT: what I should have asked is
How secure is your bumper protector; Has it lifted?

I'm such an ass! The bumper protector sits roughly 4-5mm higher on the left side :rolleyes:. Now I must remove this and fit a new one properly.

Thank you for the help, i will go away now and let the egg slowly slide off my face.

It‘s easy to fit the bumper on the incorrect side of some clips which has a similar effect.

Back