Bike Rack Security

i dont have one of these bike racks but if their easy to remove/steal take it off and put it in your van

i dont have one of these bike racks but if their easy to remove/steal take it off and put it in your van

True, but space constraints are often an issue...

Or if you're really worried, put an a Almax 19mm chain and squire lock around the bikes. Cant see then bothering to go to the trouble of taking the bikes subject to one of those

Last edited:
Its a 7 seater Caravelle so space is an issue, not getting that rack inside!

Think its a fair shout to just stop worrying about it, & adding to security may just cause more damage if someone wants it. Have definitely read somewhere about them sometimes being stolen at trail centres though, im sure of it

I'll ride on & put it to the back of my mind

Cheers everyone, enjoy the weekend

to be honest all the anti tamper bolts screws sockets the bits for undoing them are readily available some of the fencing we install has anti tamper fixings but we can get all the bits on the internet so any would be thief is going to come equipped and it would be no harder to remove anti tamper than standard fixing
Yeah definitely agree with that point, so may as well stick with the stock anti tamper torx ones

The ones I'd seen online were more custom, like locking wheel nuts (tricone bolts think they were?), but the price is really high like I mentioned, so probably not viable

Cheers anyway

True, but space constraints are often an issue...

Or if you're really worried, put an a Almax 19mm chain and squire lock around the bikes. Cant see then bothering to go to the trouble of taking the bikes subject to one of those
Already do that when the bikes are on & popping in somewhere, got plenty of Kryptonite D locks & flex cables, & Oxford Monster chains & locks, was more concerned about the rack itself when I'm off riding for hours & van parked up, but think I'm probably just overthinking it!

Already do that when the bikes are on & popping in somewhere, got plenty of Kryptonite D locks & flex cables, & Oxford Monster chains & locks, was more concerned about the rack itself when I'm off riding for hours & van parked up, but think I'm probably just overthinking it!

Well you can always lock the bike rack to the tow hook if concerned. I’m in the same boat, and perhaps naively, I’ve never thought about it! Until now...

I think standard towbar racks get nicked at trail centres a lot which is why I always took mine off and put it in the car until I got a T6. With the towbar racks they will fit any car and are therefore highly nickable.

With the T6 tailgate rack it is much more niche, as they only fit a T6 so it’s not the sort of thing that will be nicked opportunistically. The resale market is absolutely tiny compared to towbar racks.

I’ve got the tailgate rack myself and when I park up at trail centres or anywhere else for that matter I don’t give it a second thought. I would echo others and say don’t worry about it. The chance of it getting stolen is very small.

I think standard towbar racks get nicked at trail centres a lot which is why I always took mine off and put it in the car until I got a T6. With the towbar racks they will fit any car and are therefore highly nickable.

With the T6 tailgate rack it is much more niche, as they only fit a T6 so it’s not the sort of thing that will be nicked opportunistically. The resale market is absolutely tiny compared to towbar racks.

I’ve got the tailgate rack myself and when I park up at trail centres or anywhere else for that matter I don’t give it a second thought. I would echo others and say don’t worry about it. The chance of it getting stolen is very small.
Now that makes a lot of sense, so I am probably just over thinking it then, cheers for the input

Just enjoy taking the bikes and go for nice trips, dont worry about the bike rack, if they really want to nick it no security will be good enough to stop them, so dont think about it

I've had the arms that fasten to the bikes nicked off my Fiamma, so I store the replacements in the van now. I had a couple looking to try and and steal my bike from the rack while in Germany last year but I had fastened it to the rack with both a U lock and a heavy chain from my motorbike, in addition to a disk lock on the front disk so they had given up by the time I came out of the services shouting and screeched away (in another T6 :confused:).

I mentioned on here I'd been chaining my bike to the towing eye at night but someone mentioned that it's easily unbolted so I chain it to a wheel now as I reckon that's more likely to wake me up.

Recently bought a Thule Wanderway tailgate rack (which is fab!), but like other similar racks is only secured by 2 security torx screws, and I now realise that you can remove the rack without opening the tailgate if you're prepared to lose the two lower clamps, which I imagine are easily obtainable & cheap spare parts. So a little paranoid about having it nicked while I'm out biking & parked up at local woods or trail centres. I'm sure I've read about people having them nicked.

Has anyone replaced the torx bolts with anti-theft bolts or have any to recommend?

I had seen some anti-theft bolts online and thought I'd sussed it, but having now had quotes, they are mostly min order of 10 & up to around £140 for 10 & the bolt head socket, which is a bit steeper than I was expecting :oops: and think there must be another solution. Are 2 hole pan head bolts any more secure than the hollow torx bolts?

Anyone tried anything or do people just make do? May be overthinking it, but having had things stolen before, I'm probably a little more security conscious than most and curious what others do?

Thanks everyone

Did you go any further down this road, Nick?

I've just fitted mine today, and as long as someone has the torx tool, I reckon they could get the whole thing off without opening the tailgate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also, (haven't put my bike on it yet) am I right in thinking the attachment arms aren't to be left on the rack when the bikes aren't on...? Cause they can just be unclipped right? They're not locked on either?

Cheers.

I've just fitted mine today, and as long as someone has the torx tool, I reckon they could get the whole thing off without opening the tailgate ‍♂ Also, (haven't put my bike on it yet) am I right in thinking the attachment arms aren't to be left on the rack when the bikes aren't on...? Cause they can just be unclipped right? They're not locked on either?

Cheers.
You’re right, the VW carrier arms are universal and compatible with other Thule carriers, they can just be clipped off. You can screw the frame clamp tight and then lock each arm using the key but I never bother.

If the poor, misunderstood street urchins want it, they’ll have it! Sometimes additional deterrents attract more attention than anything.
Regarding the bikes themselves, it is difficult when the urchins are equipped with battery powered angle grinders etc

I've just fitted mine today, and as long as someone has the torx tool, I reckon they could get the whole thing off without opening the tailgate ‍♂ Also, (haven't put my bike on it yet) am I right in thinking the attachment arms aren't to be left on the rack when the bikes aren't on...? Cause they can just be unclipped right? They're not locked on either?

Cheers.
@rolling_stone generally just leave it as it is on a day to day basis, unless leaving the van somewhere a little isolated when off biking, then I put a Kryptonite D-lock around the lower arm & use a Kryptonite flex cable & run it behind the sparesafe lock on the spare wheel carrier as a deterrent. Still in 2 minds whether this just draws more attention to it or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re the arms (i have 2), I leave one in the boot & the short one i clamp to the fold up section & lock it

You will find that if you unscrew the 2 torx bolts, the 2 small clamps that lock it onto the tailgate just fall out & you lift it off, so definitely comes off without opening the tailgate

I think you've just got to roll with it & try not to worry... which is probably my fault after this thread

The arms are more difficult to remove than you think. Once I've carried bikes & tension set on the bike frame clamp, it pulls the clip end on the carrier frame end of the arm tight too & mine get stuck, as in cant loosen the collar to remove them (can only swing up & down).

That's a pain for me as I use the rack for different bikes, so need to move the arms regularly & prefer to remove when not in use bar the short one. My tip is rub some clear waterproof grease where the collar seat is & that makes it a doddle to remove each time & seems to last.

As mentioned above, you can tension the clamp & lock it each time, & the collar is tensioned then & can't be removed.

A lot on this .... I have done the following to my VW rack . The whole kit for under £16.00 from TC Fixings.

Two different secuity heads needing two different driver bits

Code:​
Product:​
Quantity:Price:Total:
A2MSTHP06060M6x60mm TH8 2-Hole A2 Pan Head Security Screw
1​
£ 1.03​
£ 1.03​
SECTHDR8TH8 (#14) 2-Hole Security Driver Bits
1​
£ 3.50​
£ 3.50​
A2MSPTB06060M6x60mm T30 6-Lobe Pin A2 Button Head Screw
2​
£ 0.48​
£ 0.96​
WIBTP30X25Wiha Standard Bit Pin Torx TX30 x 25mm 01732
1​
£ 2.88​
£ 2.88​
WNL6M6 Nord Lock Wedge Locking Washer NL6
2​
£ 0.38​
£ 0.76​
CARRM48PRoyal Mail Standard Tracked (3-5 Days)
1​
£ 3.54​
£ 3.54​
Net Total:
£ 12.68​
VAT:
£ 2.53​
TOTAL:
£ 15.21​

The 36v Makita angle grinder (other brands are available) has made pretty much any security measures on any bike rack, tailgate or towbar, irrelevant. It’s amazing how quick they’ll slice through that sort of tubing. If you’re not with it then your bike isn’t safe, so I use mine for transport only and lock the bike in the van if I’m leaving it unwatched.

A lot on this .... I have done the following to my VW rack . The whole kit for under £16.00 from TC Fixings.

Two different secuity heads needing two different driver bits

Code:​
Product:​
Quantity:Price:Total:
A2MSTHP06060M6x60mm TH8 2-Hole A2 Pan Head Security Screw
1​
£ 1.03​
£ 1.03​
SECTHDR8TH8 (#14) 2-Hole Security Driver Bits
1​
£ 3.50​
£ 3.50​
A2MSPTB06060M6x60mm T30 6-Lobe Pin A2 Button Head Screw
2​
£ 0.48​
£ 0.96​
WIBTP30X25Wiha Standard Bit Pin Torx TX30 x 25mm 01732
1​
£ 2.88​
£ 2.88​
WNL6M6 Nord Lock Wedge Locking Washer NL6
2​
£ 0.38​
£ 0.76​
CARRM48PRoyal Mail Standard Tracked (3-5 Days)
1​
£ 3.54​
£ 3.54​
Net Total:
£ 12.68​
VAT:
£ 2.53​
TOTAL:
£ 15.21​
Thanks for saving me the trouble. I understand someone will take if they want it enough, but im all for making it a bit harder.

The gen VW ones are better in this regard as the screw is on the inside of the tail gate, but the cost is ridiculous.

Back