Tail lamps and interior lights not working - fuse?

Duncanoakes

Hi all

Apologies for asking what seems like a common question, but it’s sadly on a slightly different theme

Rear lights and interior light on cab not working on my 65 plate t6

Was a panel van but has had a pop top fitted

So I have identified the 7.5a fuse that had blown, tried to swap it and Instantly blew again,

Where do I look now ?

I’m worried that there was previously an interior light or perhaps two in the rear of the van that have potentially been ‘ripped’ out by the pop top installers

Where would these lights have been located and what route would the wiring have travelled that fed a supply to them?

Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree but just a thought. Any advice most welcome

The cables run from the front of the van on the passenger side and head backwards with the main roof loom

If you drop the glovebox there’s a coupling point there that you could unplug to disconnect the circuit from the dash to get the power back on (assuming the short is in the roof)

After fitting a roof the pinch point for the wiring loom is at the top of the b pillar and is the most likely place for wiring damage

The cables run from the front of the van on the passenger side and head backwards with the main roof loom

If you drop the glovebox there’s a coupling point there that you could unplug to disconnect the circuit from the dash to get the power back on (assuming the short is in the roof)
Wow that was quick

Thanks for your response, how do you identify the ‘coupling point’

It’s fitted to side of van behind/beside glovebox
They are 10 pin plugs/sockets where front looms connect to rear looms, it’s the same plugs you see under passenger seat

Pretty sure the interior lighting one is beige in colour

So, as you do, I’ve been outside, taken the glove box off, unplugged the beige plug, put a new fuse in and bingo, tail lights now on and interior lights in the cab too, as soon as I plug the beige plug in behind glove box the fuse blows,

What else is that beige plug connected too? Is it just a pair of courtesy lights that would have been in the back before the camper roof was fitted?

Anything else ? Looks to be about five wires in that plug

Just wondering what else (if anything) I’m disconnecting by having it unplugged

There are 3 wires to the courtesy circuit that pass through the beige plug, they are red/black, brown/red and brown. If your blowing a fuse with the plug connected then I’d say the red/black +ve wire is short circuiting. The easiest solution would be to cut that cable, tape up the ends and re connect the plug

Back