Tailgate adjustments to stop rattling

dubdub

T6 Pro
Has anyone tried to adjust the keep plate? I think i have finally traced an annoying clunking to some play in the tailgate once its shut.

I tried stuffing a bit of rag into the gap around the latch area once the tailgate was closed and it made a lot of difference so my guess is if i move the keep plate back slightly the tailgate will be held tighter against the rubbers and be unable to clunk?

The keep seems to have odd looking bolts though, there not allen key or i dont think torque bolts??

All the striker plates bolts have spline heads, It's either an M8, M10 or M12 spline bit you require, these sizes fit all the spline bolts I have come across so far including the load lashing point bolts

Cool tah fella :thumbsup: off to Halfords tomorrow now then, they do a nice little set for £12 apparently :)

Well with the use of my spline set from Halfords i adjusted the keep, pushing it back about 3mm It has definitely made a big difference so something worth checking on 'your' vans too if you have a tailgate.

I think this is probably one of the downsides no one mentions when they soundproof their van...as i did!... Yes my van is super quite now but....you just hear all the little noises you couldnt hear before :rolleyes:o_O

Hum...may have spoken too soon, been out in her today and still have the noise, i thought i had cracked it but on rougher road today it was back so the search goes on :rolleyes:

It definitely seems to be coming from the very back of the van but I've looked inside the tailgate skin, the rear bumper, the spare wheel, the jack, the tail lights, roof spoiler and they are all rock solid?? So next i need to get underneath but in the name of trying to look 'super cool' its so bloody low now i cant get under it without ramps :x3: :laugh:

Keep looking and posting, I have a similar rattle. Dealer adjusted the keep plat on the door and now that's super tight.

How do you adjust the spacer blocks on the sides of the tailgate ? Bottom of the door seems tight but it still feels a little slack on the sides.

Also have lowered suspension so getting under without jacking is not possible.

I have the same rattle had door adjusted a few times, I added some grease to the latch and it stopped but comes back after a few months. Not found a fix for it yet

How do you adjust the spacer blocks on the sides of the tailgate ?

You loosen a central allen bolt which will allow the bump-stop to be moved in or out of its holder. Pull them almost all of the way out, then close the tailgate; you should hear the noise of the bump stop contracting. Then open up, tighten the allen bolt and see whether that solves it. If not, loosen and extend them further.

Mine too, I am going to adjust the bump stops so they are really tight and will have to slam tailgate to close. Let you know how it works, VW have a lot to answer for in a van with less than 12000 miles on it!

Mine too, I am going to adjust the bump stops so they are really tight and will have to slam tailgate to close. Let you know how it works, VW have a lot to answer for in a van with less than 12000 miles on it!
I done mine really tight eventually, tried moving the stricker plate, ended up putting it full adjustment to the front of van (still had the rattle), then tried the side bump stops. Read it was 'undo centre screws all the way- pull out the stops to about 12.5mm (of thread showing) the close the tailgate (you hear clicking as the stops get pushed back in) then re-tightened the screws, but rattle still there, so then moved each side out 1 click at a time until the door was tight hard to close, noise was better for about 2 days but then came back again, I've since just put a cloth over the stricker plate and slammed door onto that, thats about the only thing that makes a real difference, just got to remember, that everytime i open the tailgate to remember the rag falls out and needs replacing. :)

Has anyone been able to find replacement Rear Tailgate Bump Stops? I have lost one, and Google doesn't cut it. I thought of phoning VW but I know it will cost a small fortune and they might roll their eyes and just say it isn't available .

Cheers, Dave C

IMG_20220606_152354.jpg

IMG_20220606_152339.jpg

Back