T7 Multivan

I'm hoping to god, that it's heavily disguised.

I really would have thought that the rear lights would run more horizontally.

I think this vehicle has limited interest for us. Even though VW is calling it T7, it's a much smaller car based chassis which can't take commercial loads...more or less a continuation of the Sharan concept. The actual replacements for the T6 as far as size and function are the VW rebadged Ford Transit coming out in 2024, and the electric Buzz arriving in 2022. What I'm curious about is which of the two will be the base for the next California.

I think this vehicle has limited interest for us. Even though VW is calling it T7, it's a much smaller car based chassis which can't take commercial loads...more or less a continuation of the Sharan concept. The actual replacements for the T6 as far as size and function are the VW rebadged Ford Transit coming out in 2024, and the electric Buzz arriving in 2022. What I'm curious about is which of the two will be the base for the next California.
Not sure about this:
VW are designing the replacement T6 which will be called the T7, and Ford will be taking a large part of this new design for their new Transit Custom......I think.
The replacement for the new T7 is defiantly a VW design I believe.
So the van pictured is either a test mule for the T7?, unless the pictured vehicle is a brand new model, and not a T7.

Take a look at post #147 above.

"Reports in the German press say that the next-generation VW Transporter, called T7 for the seventh generation, will use VW Group’s MQB platform for passenger cars. The platform is not suitable for heavy loads so the current T6 will continue to be sold alongside the T7 for commercial users until Ford’s new version of the Transit is available to VW in 2024."

Last edited:
Thanks for the update on this, I missed parts of those posts Things are changing from the original announcements.
Our friends have a new Merc V-Class, and its defiantly more car-like than out VW Vel Exec; and you see so many more V-Class used as large people carriers than Vel's; the V-class suspension is very car-like, and I think its significantly lower than the circa 2m of the Vel. So perhaps VW will try to target the V-class.
Having said all that I love the fact our Vel feels so robust and commanding, just like a big SUV.
Our Gross Max Weight is 3080kg, I guess its net weight is just too heavy to start with, maybe in an E-world where mileage range is so important it needs to go on a mass/drag diet, and being lower and lighter will help sales.

Just come across this recent feature - VW T7 Multivan (2021) offenbar mit Innenraum aus dem Golf 8. Unless fluent in German Google Translate can help ...

The next VW bus clearly stands out from its predecessor, which was more of a facelift of the T5 than an independent evolutionary stage. The new VW T7 Multivan was caught in the Alps as a slightly disguised Erlkönig in autumn 2020. The pictures show: It is more based on the VW brand, but takes elements of its ancestors. It can be seen that a small side window is again installed in the driver's cab, which is reminiscent of the Bulli generations one to three.
VW Bus T7 !! ILLUSTRATION !!
The narrow headlights cite the ID.3. New: the flatter front window.
AUTO BILD has already got rid of the prototype of its camouflage virtually. The T7 probably draws on design features from the Golf 8 and the fully electric ID.3. Slimmer headlights and taillights give the Bulli a modern look. The body is a little longer and the roof is lowered by around six centimeters, which makes it easier to enter underground garages. The windshield and bonnet are flatter. This requires a kind of second A-pillar with a triangular window so that the side windows can be lowered. Overall, the T7 should be more modern and significantly less boxy than its predecessor.
VW models with a car subscription at ViveLaCar
TO OFFER
Apparently with the interior from the Golf 8
Particularly noticeable: A photo by AUTO BILD spy hunters shows the dashboard with the two screens of the new T7. Apparently the bus adapts the interior of the Golf 8 and receives a digital cockpit (probably only in the higher equipment) and an infotainment touchscreen framed by a piano lacquer look. The software in the prototype apparently comes directly from the Golf, the display still shows a view of the compact model. In addition, the handbrake lever disappears, but an electric parking brake is applied. From the ID.3, the T7 takes over the touch field to the left of the steering wheel, which controls the lights and windshield heating. Variants with an automatic transmission get the small selector knob that is already known from other VAG models.
Erlkönig VW T7 Multivan
The cockpit is strongly reminiscent of the Golf 8. The T7 also has a small lever for selecting the gear.
Up to 245 hp in a plug-in hybrid
The T7 will be based on the MQB platform in the future. This enables the use of a 48-volt electrical system. All gasoline and diesel engines will likely be mildly hybridized. There will also be a plug-in hybrid that will likely take over the drive from the Golf 8 GTE. A 1.4-liter turbo four-cylinder and an electric drive together produce 245 hp and 400 Nm of torque. If its 13 kWh battery is also used, the electric range should be less than the GTE's 60 kilometers. There will be no pure electric version of the T7. The role of the electric bus will be the ID. Take over buzz. Otherwise, the T7 should rely on the well-known mix of gasoline, diesel, front and all-wheel drive as well as manual transmission and DSG. The MQB platform probably also means a more modern chassis with McPherson struts and transverse arms instead of trailing arms. This could mean that the bus could drive more dynamically and comfortably in the future.
Panel van and flatbed remain T6.1
In the future, the T7 Multivan will form a model family with the Sharan and Caddy Life. As usual, the bus is offered with different wheelbases. It remains to be seen whether they will then take on the roles of Sharan and Caddy Life. What is certain is that there will be a camping version called California based on the T7. Switching to the new platform saves costs on the one hand, but has one disadvantage: it is not suitable for commercial vehicles. That is why the panel van and flatbed variants of the T6.1 will continue to be built in parallel to the T7 for the time being, probably until 2025.
Erlkönig VW T7 Multivan
The MQB platform is not suitable for commercial vehicles. They will therefore continue to run as T6.1 until 2025.
Prices are likely to rise
The T7 should be at dealerships by 2021. It is unclear whether the plug-in hybrid will also be available at market launch. It is more likely that the mild hybrids will start first and VW will follow up with the full hybrid at a later point in time. The Multivan T6.1 currently starts at 35,960 euros. With the new technology and the expected additional equipment in the base, prices will rise slightly. It should start at just under 40,000 euros.

Indeed prices have risen, as they do every year, but I ordered a T6.1 Kombi in Jan this year with almost all the extras I could get on that van, and I'm only paying £800 or so more than my Kombi I got in 2016.

Of course the other side of the tail is I may not see delivery this year!

Indeed prices have risen, as they do every year, but I ordered a T6.1 Kombi in Jan this year with almost all the extras I could get on that van, and I'm only paying £800 or so more than my Kombi I got in 2016.

Of course the other side of the tail is I may not see delivery this year!
That's excellent, looks like you've got a great deal on your new T6.1 then! :thumbsup:

I've currently got a good deal, but on a van I may not see for a year, and when asked, VW wouldn't confirm the price will be honoured. So.....not happy at all.

I've currently got a good deal, but on a van I may not see for a year, and when asked, VW wouldn't confirm the price will be honoured. So.....not happy at all.
I can't think of any deal I'd do where I agree to buy something that will be made available to me at an unknown date in the future at an unknown price.

Its worse than that! I've paid a deposit as well. Have you looked at the T6.1 order delays thread? Mine and many others patience is wearing thin.

Will just leave this here. .. (saw it on Facebook and nicked the picture) New electric caddy.
FB_IMG_1615497525214.jpg

Back