dummy window suppliers?

TvMatt

Hi All,

I have a 2018 T6 Van and I want to make it look less like a panel van but still have a solid van wall on the drivers side. My question is does anyone know of a supplier that supplies completely blacked out windows for both sides? one window will be cut in the other will not.

The Sliding door will have the cut in window. I had hoped I could just stick the window onto the panel on the drivers side.

Any advice or warnings on doing this is greatly apricated.

Hi All,

I have a 2018 T6 Van and I want to make it look less like a panel van but still have a solid van wall on the drivers side. My question is does anyone know of a supplier that supplies completely blacked out windows for both sides? one window will be cut in the other will not.

The Sliding door will have the cut in window. I had hoped I could just stick the window onto the panel on the drivers side.

Any advice or warnings on doing this is greatly apricated.
Got mine from Leisure vehicle windows. Flush fitting style and great prices. Couldn’t be happier with mine.

IMG_1213.jpeg

Got some of these fake windows to fit tomorrow - do people remove the edge trim strip from the factory Kombi windows for sleeker finish, or leave it in situ to hide the body colour that would be visible in the gap between the two window units without it?

Cheers, Steve.

IMG_1534.jpeg

If you got them from camper glass they come with a new rubber strip to fill the gap. You can remove the original rubber.

If you got them from camper glass they come with a new rubber strip to fill the gap. You can remove the original rubber.
They are from camper glass but fitting kit only has the primer, applicator and adhesive as far as I can see, maybe they missed my replacement strip.

Does this not allow water to sit in there and get a big uild up of algae mold etc?
You apply the sealant in a continual bead all but a few inch gap Centre bottom of the panel, so water is not likely to directly ingress behind the glass.

Moist air may well end up behind the glass to some extent but even this is not hugely likely as the air pocket between glass and van body whilst not sealed in, doesn’t have anywhere to go other than back out through the same expansion vent/gap it the bottom that fresh air would have to enter by - imagine blowing into an empty pop bottle through the open lid, you might imagine this would change the air in the bottle, but actually not so much as the air already inside the bottle has nowhere to go but back out through the neck that you’re blowing into, and so resists the air flowing in. I say not so much because obviously if the air pressure blowing in overcomes the air pressure already inside, some compression will occur and therefore some displacement of air inside with damp air from outside as pressure inside/outside fluctuates. You also have possibility of moisture transfer in other ways such as wicking, but I don’t think to any particularly detrimental effect. Id be far more worried about real windows being badly fitted by converters, with moisture ending up in contact with poorly finished cut edge on the new window opening causing corrosion etc.

Obviously this is my scientific justification to myself and by no means from any experience fitting van windows. In reality these are completely blacked out on the back to match the blackout tint that runs around the edge of the factory Kombi windows, so even if anything does go a bit green inside, you’ll never see it.

My only realistic concern fitting these was adding to ever deteriorating fuel efficiency through yet more added weight - the LWB ones particularly are fairly large pieces of glass and for a purely cosmetic mod are a pretty heavy addition!

Anyone who’s done a self install on these, how long does the sealant need to cure before the van can be driven again?

You apply the sealant in a continual bead all but a few inch gap Centre bottom of the panel, so water is not likely to directly ingress behind the glass.

Moist air may well end up behind the glass to some extent but even this is not hugely likely as the air pocket between glass and van body whilst not sealed in, doesn’t have anywhere to go other than back out through the same expansion vent/gap it the bottom that fresh air would have to enter by - imagine blowing into an empty pop bottle through the open lid, you might imagine this would change the air in the bottle, but actually not so much as the air already inside the bottle has nowhere to go but back out through the neck that you’re blowing into, and so resists the air flowing in. I say not so much because obviously if the air pressure blowing in overcomes the air pressure already inside, some compression will occur and therefore some displacement of air inside with damp air from outside as pressure inside/outside fluctuates. You also have possibility of moisture transfer in other ways such as wicking, but I don’t think to any particularly detrimental effect. Id be far more worried about real windows being badly fitted by converters, with moisture ending up in contact with poorly finished cut edge on the new window opening causing corrosion etc.

Obviously this is my scientific justification to myself and by no means from any experience fitting van windows. In reality these are completely blacked out on the back to match the blackout tint that runs around the edge of the factory Kombi windows, so even if anything does go a bit green inside, you’ll never see it.

My only realistic concern fitting these was adding to ever deteriorating fuel efficiency through yet more added weight - the LWB ones particularly are fairly large pieces of glass and for a purely cosmetic mod are a pretty heavy addition!
My thoughts on this are:
1. When washing the van, snow foam and using a pressure washer for rinsing off, is quite a bit of water would squirt up through the gap and sit behind the glass.
2. Agree about the weight of the glass on LWB and fuel efficiency.

For these 2 reasons I have resisted the temptation to add blackout rear quarter glass. And just thinking about it now if I had the metal work out out and fitted privacy glass then it would 'solve' both these things. Except I would need to buy another 2 vanshades pods for the rear 2 windows. (Which could then go in the spare room with the other 2 that have been there 8 months - but thats for another thread).

Back