Sliding Door Problem - rear won’t latch.

PoNvs

My T6 van + conversion is less than 12th old and I have an intermittent problem with the sliding door. VW garage not interested because it doesn't fail in the garage. Told to make sure I had breakdown cover in case it fails when i'm camping! They saw a video I took but still say it has to fail in garage to be covered by warranty.
Occasionally when I close the door I can't get the back to engage. It can't be pushed in, basically bounces back. 40mins playing around with it..did nothing then suddenly worked. Like I say intermittent. Anybody had anything remotely similar?

Screenshot_2019-04-22-17-13-28.png

Had exactly the same problem,but mine would eventually close after a couple of minutes and several tries.
Took mine to dealers and replaced the locking mechanism under warranty,no problems since.
Definitely a job that should be under warranty,so I don't see how they can argue the toss,maybe try another dealership,if
they won't replace it where you originally tried.
As most of found on here,some vw dealerships are better than others.

Had exactly the same problem,but mine would eventually close after a couple of minutes and several tries.
Took mine to dealers and replaced the locking mechanism under warranty,no problems since.
Definitely a job that should be under warranty,so I don't see how they can argue the toss,maybe try another dealership,if
they won't replace it where you originally tried.
As most of found on here,some vw dealerships are better than others.
Many thanks...was beginning to think I was only one. Waiting on VW customer service manager phoning me back. Hopefully he'll agree that the mechanism needs changing. Laying safety card on thick. Thanks again.

Well no joy was had by VW customer care. If the door doesn't fail in the garage they won't touch it. Will continue locking from inside when travelling, waiting on a quote for the VW garage to strip back the panel and check locks..essentially investigate the fault. Contemplating motor ombudsman.

Thank's but after the VW garage washed their hands of it I contacted VW Customer care with the details. They acknowledge from video that there is a fault but have offered that I should pay the garage to investigate that fault. If they subsequently identify the fault it'll be repaired under warranty and I won't have to pay for the investigation. Think this is route I'll have to go cause I don't think the door is safe ....single female in a campervan stuck in the hie lands ..not good .
It's just what it is and I'll have to get over it I guess. Just surprised at lack of customer care. My main drive is a Volvo and they can't do enough for you, nothing is a hassle in the warranty period.

It is a bit disappointing! I went to a local dealer because my aircon is awful and they said it was wear and tear, funny that on a 12 month old vehicle. I'll take to the guys I bought it from they are spot on so I guess it really does depend on the dealers!

Do you have power latching on this door? I have a similar intermittent issue in that the power latching doesn’t unlatch on opening so its then difficult to close, but mine can be closed with a good slam. You should be able to hear the motor whirring when you open the door. It only seems to happen when camping and the vehicle is left unlocked and with the ignition off for a long period before opening the side door. Once slammed shut, locking and unlock the doors seems to reset the power latching.

I've got power latching on mine and the nearside slider wont open now. Booked in for the 13th june.

Bit of a result ....upshot was that I agreed to pay the VW garage £100 if they stripped the sliding door lock and didn't find a fault. Never been so happy to report that they found the door lock to be faulty and have replaced it under warranty. What a faff! But hopefully that's an end to it. Thanks for all the comments on the thread.

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have an almost similar problem with my T6's right hand electric sliding door. It does not slide automatically anymore. But when I press the dashboard button to open, it does open, when I press to close, it slides to close but does not power latch. What could be the cause of this problem?

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I have an almost similar problem with my T6's right hand electric sliding door. It does not slide automatically anymore. But when I press the dashboard button to open, it does open, when I press to close, it slides to close but does not power latch. What could be the cause of this problem?
Possibly the power-latching module itself has an issue (the module to slide the door almost closed and the module to pull it closed on to the latch are separate).
Click on the power latching tag at the bottom for some related threads, which should give you somewhere to start diagnosing (assuming you’re not covered by your dealer warranty).

Sat in Breeze VW in Portsmouth at the moment with my T6. My near side sliding door wouldn’t close earlier today. Was operating the door from my key fob and it was sliding shut but immediately releasing and opening again. Took me ages to finally manage to close it using the open/close button on the dash with the ignition running.Van is only a few months old, let’s see what they say!!

My near side sliding door wouldn’t close earlier today. Was operating the door from my key fob and it was sliding shut but immediately releasing and opening again.

Ours does this on a Caravelle. Sometimes takes a while to fully unlock before sliding open too and everything sounds nasty and dry in the mechanism.

Interested to see what they say

So the opinion of Breeze VW van centre is that there is definitely a fault with the power latch mechanism on my van. They have adjusted the current one but have ordered in a complete new mechanism for the n/s sliding door and have booked the van in this Thursday to fit it. If I’m honest, Martin at Breeze VW couldn’t have been better and there was never a doubt that he wanted to get the problem resolved. All worked being carried out under warranty and vehicle is being made available to me whist the work is carried out. Great aftersales service VW and well done to Martin and the team at Breeze VW Portsmouth.

Same happened to mine on the n/s as well,replaced the module and fixed some wiring...6 months old bus?.

Resurrecting this thread in case there's some new info.
I've had my T6 (Shuttle 199PS 2019 25k miles) for a couple of months now. So far my nearside power sliding door operates normally until damp or wet weather, then the same symptoms some others reported occur. On fob or dash button, the door opens normally but upon closing it starts to power latch then immediately springs open and powers open fully. I push the button again and the sequence repeats ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... until I get fed up or embarrassed and disable the automatic system, then climb down from my lofty perch to close the door manually. Once closed manually it power-latches as it should. Next day (if dry weather) it's OK again.
So, I'm not 100% sure yet that the wet weather is not just a coincidence, but so far it's the only constant I can think of which results in the fault. I've visually inspected the leading edge sensing/sealing strip and all looks "brand new". I don't know the technology used in the safety interlock though, so I don't know if this could be a possible source ... any ideas-solutions please I can try folk, or do I have to take a deep breath and hope the fault will replicate for the dealership?

Resurrecting this thread in case there's some new info.
I've had my T6 (Shuttle 199PS 2019 25k miles) for a couple of months now. So far my nearside power sliding door operates normally until damp or wet weather, then the same symptoms some others reported occur. On fob or dash button, the door opens normally but upon closing it starts to power latch then immediately springs open and powers open fully. I push the button again and the sequence repeats ... and again ... and again ... and again ... and again ... until I get fed up or embarrassed and disable the automatic system, then climb down from my lofty perch to close the door manually. Once closed manually it power-latches as it should. Next day (if dry weather) it's OK again.
So, I'm not 100% sure yet that the wet weather is not just a coincidence, but so far it's the only constant I can think of which results in the fault. I've visually inspected the leading edge sensing/sealing strip and all looks "brand new". I don't know the technology used in the safety interlock though, so I don't know if this could be a possible source ... any ideas-solutions please I can try folk, or do I have to take a deep breath and hope the fault will replicate for the dealership?
Sorry mines wasn't a power door. Good luck tho

Sorry mines wasn't a power door. Good luck tho
Is yours neither Power-closing (as in, it closes on the touch of a button) or power-latching (it’s pulled closed by a motor?
It’s common to have power-latching on a manual door, is why I ask.

Is yours neither Power-closing (as in, it closes on the touch of a button) or power-latching (it’s pulled closed by a motor?
It’s common to have power-latching on a manual door, is why I ask.
Hi, I don't have a button to close it. I pull mine across , its a t6 highline van. I included on the thread what the vw garage said they did to mine to fix it, not had a problem since. It was an absolute chew to get them to fix it under warranty.

Back