T6 tailgate number plate LED’s

Texxaco

T6 T32 204 DSG on SoLow 3H Air remapped to 257PS
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Is it possible to swap out the T6 tailgate number plate lights for LED’s

Is this something that can be swapped out? I have noticed it can be done on the barn door version but can’t find LED upgrades for the tailgate version.

Thanks

I bought my T6 second hand, it has a tailgate and the first owner had fitted LED's in the registration plate lights, so yes it can be done, sorry I can't give more information.
Type your reg plate into a website like Halfords or Eurocarparts and you can find exactly what the reg plate light bulbs are then find suitable LED substitutes.

Edit:
I think this is something like you want:

Although I'd take a bulb out first and check!

Last edited:
As said by Scruffy, my T6 came with led plate lights as standard. The bulbs can't be replaced. If one fails the whole light assembly pops out and is replaced.

These landed in the post yesterday but I haven’t fitted them yet!

Ah right that makes sense, I did wonder why I couldn’t find any replacement bulbs. Mine 2018 so they must be LED?

@JOG what year is your van as I have just been told, on here, that 2016 onwards had LED tailgate number plate LED as standard.

2018!

I haven’t even looked at the fitting...just saw the bulb was gone and ordered these!

I've bought my T6 a month ago and previous owner had fitted led bulbs - all of which constantly flickered and did my head in
I've just changed them all (overhead, side lights, license plate & kombi step) no flickering, nice crisp white light
Very impressed, not the cheapest - but that's probably why they aren't flickering

View attachment 88032

It is strange. Cost cutting, get us to pay for our own LED’s if you have a barn door.

2018!

I haven’t even looked at the fitting...just saw the bulb was gone and ordered these!
Had a quick look this morning:

DA2C7153-28D5-4BD4-8495-19C953BF7AA9.jpeg

How do I change these then? (I’d better find a use for those LED bulbs I bought!)

I've just found this thread a bit too late . I too have the t6 tailgate lights that JOG has but bought the LED lights below (X2). If you want them free send me a message and I'll post them to you. Would like them to be used! IMG_20220813_124434440.jpg

I've just found this thread a bit too late . I too have the t6 tailgate lights that JOG has but bought the LED lights below (X2). If you want them free send me a message and I'll post them to you. Would like them to be used! View attachment 168681
Nice one. I’ve copied this over to a standalone thread in the classified sub-forum :thumbsup:

my barn doors (2017) has bulbs...and its an upgrade I've been meaning to do.....let me follow that link!

I fitted thq led plate lights, hit they jog around alot and the light on dash comes on. Any quick fix for this? Pull the pins apart further? Longer screws? As the screws don't seem like they have threaded enough

Back