Sportline Wheel package on my T32 rides spongy

Timo

Hi everyone,

A relative newbie to the Transporter world and having a bit of a nightmare with my wheels. To keep things sensible I bought a brand new set of OEM Sportline 18" wheels from a VW dealership. I originally ordered the wheels with 255 45 18 103 Continental Premium contacts. It was awful when I fitted them, moving around on the motorway and terrible in the wind. When you rocked the van it looked like the tyres were sponges and moved around when you rocked it. The dealership agreed that this wasn't right and replace them with the tyres they fit on all their wheel packages - some General tyres which seemed at face value firmer. After a week or so, the van felt exactly the same. Moving around and generally awful to drive. I am now back on my OEM 17's and it is back to being stable and a much better drive.

What am I missing?!? I have the wheels which look great but make the van feel like an old boat. Pressure wise I have searched on here and found the OEM tyre pressure guides from the Sportline but it still feels very strange. If anything, when you have parked the front wheels, look under inflated. I have even tried pumping them up to max allowed pressure but sadly no good!

Any advice from anyone would be appreciated!

IMG_1741.jpg

Funny you say that my fronts also looked flat but all tyres pressures were spot on. (I went for T5 sportlines)

Its always been a bit boat like even with Daveports so going for a 30mm drop next.

Very strange, as you've dropped to a lower sidewall (45 from 55?) it should be better unless the continental tyres are not all that.

Have you tried alittle more psi?

Most sportline wheels at my dealer are fitted with the kumo tyres in 255/45/18 103xl

On my previous T5 I fitted sportline 18's and then Uniroyal Rainsport tyres - they were superb. My new T6 is on Davenport 17's with Conti-Van tyres and it feels exactly like a van on van tyres! When I change I'll be going back to the Uniroyals as the van felt like a car with these.

I'm running sportlines, never felt as you described with the kumho tyres that were on them from almost new, I have just replaced all 4 with uniroyals and it feels direct and very smooth / quite.

Thanks for your replies; it's a head scratcher for sure. I might play with the tyre pressures a bit and see if that helps.

PS it's on the OEM Sportline Eibachs too

I'm running the T5 18" sportlines with Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front and Conti's on the rear. I don't get any of that sensation you are describing.

Yes, that's what I was told was OEM, there was a factory Sportline in the dealer with them on from factory. Sadly haven't been able to find them and I think the Premium Contacts which they fitted are not the same type of tyre - less sports orientated which might mean softer tyre walls...

Back