T6 Servicing - how often?

Ian28

T6 Guru
I’ve read Dellmassive’s excellent post on servicing but I’m still unsure what to do.

I have a 68 plate Kombi which is for recreational use only (less than 10K Miles/year) and I understand VW no longer do service books. Do I rely on the vehicle to let me know when the service is due or should I opt in to a service plan at my local VW dealer? For this type of use should I go for a fixed term annual service or the longer 18,000/24 month service?

Finally, it’s done 4.5K miles so far - is there a need for a ‘running in’ service/oil check etc or again does the vehicle let me know?

I just take it when the van tells me . If you do short stop start journeys it will count down quicker. You could get a oil and filter change done if you want but make sure they use Vw oil and filter to keep the warranty.
We have a Mini Countryman petrol and it goes two years then only has oil and filter and goes another two year .

I do the same as Pete, short service every 12 months at main dealer.
If and when we ever sell it I am sure (hope) it will help the resale value.

I serviced mine myself at 8k miles, fresh oil made a huge difference, if I were you I'd plan to do it soon, I think 16k or whatever it is on a new engine is far too long!

Reactions: DXX
12k miles for standard oil service routine and new engine first service.

Then you can do either, follow the vans MFD or stick to a 12mnth scheduled.

Though VW recomends the Service Regime One: Fixed Service (Time and Distance) for 10K miles or less PA

• You can choose from two types of service regimes at VW Van Centre (Hatfield), depending on your driving methods. Your VW van also has the benefit of a service indicator on the dashboard to remind you of when a service is due.

• Service Regime One: Fixed Service (Time and Distance) – the first of 12,000 miles or 12 months
    • Recommended if you drive less than 10,000 miles a year
    • You drive your van mainly in town centres / heavy traffic
    • You make frequent short journeys
    • You often use your van for towing or heavily laden
    • Your driving style involves hard acceleration and braking
  • Service Regime Two: Flexible Service (Long Life Service) – the first of 18,000 miles or 24 months
    • Recommended if you drive over 25 miles a day
    • You often use your van for long distance journeys
    • You rarely tow with your van or use it to its maximum load capacity
    • You adopt an economical driving style with minimal engine loading

- Check Oil - Warning, Check Your Fluids ! (what Oil?)

T6 Service Intervals & Inspection, Flexible & Longlife

The latest engines now have an oil change service in at around 12 months/10k miles. Or sooner dependant on useage.

Thanks everyone, it’ll be doing under 12K miles annually so will go with 12 monthly services at my local VW dealer.

I’ve never felt comfortable with variable as oil change @ 20k miles seems wrong. I’m sure it pleases the fleet managers! Our Skodas are on annual services and I usually do in interim oil / filter change, so every 5 or 6k. Quantum oil is cheap via the dealers.

Planning to do the same on the new T6 and will probably do one soon now its done 2k miles (like the old school running in oil change).

Ian

I agree, I remember when they went to 30K on some cars.

Just be careful on self servicing, and the warranty implications.

As long as you self service to spec nothing wrong with an interim, I've always done it that way...

It tells you how to do an oil change in the handbook so I assumed it was acceptable to DIY (it does in the Skoda book anyway!). Always use genuine VW/Audi parts via TPS when they sold to Joe public and more recently supplied by the stealers.

I recently did my own oil and filter change with genuine parts. Cost me £40 all in.

I think the last 5L of VW spec quantum long life oil I bought from the Skoda dealers was £27.

gents....remind me! I'm about to do my own interim oil service. I think I bought a new sump plug last time I did it.....this time, I bloody forgot to get one!! Is it essential? Not fussed about the cost cos they're dirt cheap.....I just don't want to do a 30 mile round trip to get one!! Am I worrying over nothing????:thumbsup:

gents....remind me! I'm about to do my own interim oil service. I think I bought a new sump plug last time I did it.....this time, I bloody forgot to get one!! Is it essential? Not fussed about the cost cos they're dirt cheap.....I just don't want to do a 30 mile round trip to get one!! Am I worrying over nothing????:thumbsup:

Don’t worry, it’s highly unlikely to leak. Check the seal faces before installing.

That's what I thought mate....but I tend to be a belt and braces kind of person. I'll take the chance! I'm sure there used to be a section on here with info re oil change.....torque settings etc??? I must be getting older and dafter than I thought!!!!:thumbsup:

Back