T6 roof bar nut threaded (damaged)

Dig

VIP Member
HI all. I have a 2017 T6 caravelle and i have just tried putting on my roof bars.
You have to remove the roof bolt and then screw in your roof bar bolt to secure the roof bar to the roof.
BUT! I managed to damage the thread of the nut that sits in the roof!
Can anyone advise me on how I can access this nut and change it?
Thank you

From memory, I don’t think you can.

Your best bet might be to find out what thread size it is and try and re-tap it.

Pete

HI all. I have a 2017 T6 caravelle and i have just tried putting on my roof bars.
You have to remove the roof bolt and then screw in your roof bar bolt to secure the roof bar to the roof.
BUT! I managed to damage the thread of the nut that sits in the roof!
Can anyone advise me on how I can access this nut and change it?
Thank you
The nuts are held captive internally in the van. If you remove your roof lining at the appropriate place you should be able to see them. I took a picture of one and posted it in another thread a while back
It’s also worth a read of that thread so you don’t end up with water leaking into your van

Does this « hole » allow me to remove the roof lining. I cannot find any explanation for it in the manual so I’m a bit anxious about messing with it64C680E4-80DD-4169-B5D3-0C1B8CEE7040.jpeg

That’s part of the good night pack and is a click fixing for window covers, the little plastic circle comes out to reveal the fixing screw
Removing a caravelle roof lining is not easy on your own and tricky to get back in again !

I’m learning lots thanks Pauly.
so I’m thinking of trying to insert a helicoil thread insert if there is one small enough. Any thoughts anyone? It might be tricky as the nut is not held very stable

I’m learning lots thanks Pauly.
so I’m thinking of trying to insert a helicoil thread insert if there is one small enough. Any thoughts anyone? It might be tricky as the nut is not held very stable
Before you fit a helicoil, wouldn't you have to drill what's left of the existing threads out, oversize the hole and then tap that to accept the correct size helicoil for the roof bar bolt? Much easier just to try and re-cut the existing threads in the nut using the correct size tap, unless they are completely stripped.

Does this « hole » allow me to remove the roof lining. I cannot find any explanation for it in the manual so I’m a bit anxious about messing with itView attachment 67080
Hi Dig, apologies I hadn’t realised you had a Caravelle. The simplest option for you will be to try and re-tap the thread. Taking the roof lining out is far more complex than in my Kombi.
if all you’ve done is cross threaded it, re-tapping should sort it out. If you managed to strip the threads completely you’ll need to either replace the nut, insert a helicoil or cut a larger size thread (which will need a matching larger size bolt).
Don’t leave it as is because it will allow water to leak into the interior of your van.

You have all been great. I’ve ordered a helicoil kit as I have made a real mess of the thread now. I will update you all soon

HI all
I finally managed too get the correct size tap (M6) and it was very easy to tap the nut so it all works. Another quickie in case you might have heard of this.... One of the front roof bar holes does not line up with the nut! Between the round hole in the roof and the nut is a piece of metal seemingly "sprung" from side to side. On the other holes the sprung metal does not impede the nut but at the front left hole it does. I can get the bolt in but it is so lateral in the hole that it takes the paint off the van roof. Any thoughts appreciated

I’ve got the roof panels down to sound deaden the roof, ply and carpet line and spotted 8 of these. Look like retainers for the roof rail nuts. Dont look much effort to change once the interior stripped!

E86D1839-CD3E-4442-A3EA-6A364206109D.jpeg

Hi Dig, Have the same problem!!! The nut doesn't line up with the center of the hole and i have cross threaded the nut!! Front drivers side, all the rest are fine.
HI all
I finally managed too get the correct size tap (M6) and it was very easy to tap the nut so it all works. Another quickie in case you might have heard of this.... One of the front roof bar holes does not line up with the nut! Between the round hole in the roof and the nut is a piece of metal seemingly "sprung" from side to side. On the other holes the sprung metal does not impede the nut but at the front left hole it does. I can get the bolt in but it is so lateral in the hole that it takes the paint off the van roof. Any thoughts appreciated

Back