T6 Ocean Undertray

Look at the bit I have circled, I think these are stress marks indicating that it has been forced down and should be bent back up and attached..
IMG_4094.JPG

Now I think it is bent down I am going to take another photo from a different angle and see if I can identify that square plug..

Here is a shot taken from underneath looking back towards the passenger side.
IMG_4158.jpg
That is the exhaust of the Aux heater..

Yep, I understand your thinking but I've just been out to triple check and that mark you have circled isn't a mark, it's a reflection from the camera flash, the plastic there hasn't been twisted, damaged or distorted in any way. I know that looking at that photo there is a hole with what looks like a washer mark around it (down and to the right of the green circle) but I'm pretty sure it wasn't previously attached to another part of the undertray. Whilst I know it's a bit staggering that none of the 3 VW guys who looked at it the other day knew what it was doing, the one thing they all agreed on was that it wasn't loose and none of them thought it had moved down from anywhere (ie. they were unanimous in thinking that it was either there for a purpose or had been incorrectly assembled).

Just tried to get a pic from the same angle but it's just too wet here!! I appreciate the photos and help!! I have to take it back up to the Dealer next week as they are replacing the sink tap so when I'm up there we'll get it on the ramp and take some proper pictures as I think we're going round in circles here!! I'll also see if we can get a look at a drawing while I'm there. Will keep you posted!!

UPDATE - 27/11

A few weeks ago the California was in for a new sink tap and the Warranty Manager and I had the Cali on the ramp to give it a proper look underneath. Having had a good look around the general consensus was that somehow the undertray had been bent back and that as a temporary measure the garage would try to bend it back into place (as best they could) and then make enquiries about a warranty repair.

After many weeks of trying I was finally contacted by VWUK today and told that the undertray in my original pictures is exactly how it should be. The description of what it was actually meant to be doing (other than significantly reducing ground clearance) was very vague so now they are going to speak with the garage who "bent it back into place" to find out how we go about restoring it to it's "former glory".

Personally I am somewhat sceptical that it was meant to be like that but there we are. Once again, if anyone has a 17 Ocean (Model Year 2018) and can take a pic of the undertray it may help shed some light!!

I was only thinking about this today wondering what the outcome was.

I don’t believe them, why would it be like that and what is it meant to be doing sticking down.I suspect they don’t know what they are looking at and are just saying that to fob you off and close the case.

UPDATE - 27 DEC 17

I've been re-contacted by VWUK (Just before Christmas) to say that, having spoken with the dealer perhaps it isn't supposed to be like that (???!!!) and they (VWUK) have authorised the repairing dealer to order a new under-tray assembly and fit. It was literally a few days before Christmas so a new under-tray has been ordered and will be fitted sometime in the New Year under warranty. That should be problem solved but if the new piece comes with the same weird protuberance it could be back to the drawing board lol!! Merry Christmas!!

My 2018 year Ocean ended up with the same problem. It was caused by hitting a hidden flood across the road at about 40mph! The force of water pulled the plastic tray from its mountings at the front and bent it down at 90 degrees exactly as shown in the photos. I was able to bend it back into position with some difficulty and refit the bolts holding it in place.
It also bend the soft alloy heat shields around the front end of the exhaust but they bent back quite easily by hand.
As I am new to this forum, I apologise if this has already been covered as I am still getting used to this technology!

Ah! I think I see what it is now... the underbody cover has been pulled down somehow (maybe like Pips Dad had, and it has rotated about one of the fixings.
It should go back up as below.
IMG_4088.JPG

Exactamundo!

The tray was quit difficult to bend back lying on your back in a field! But I did a better job at home and once the 90 degree bend was straightened out it was fairly obvious where the fixings went to hold it in position. The tray is held in, also by star washers at certain points and one of these was broken clean off by the force of the water impact. I will get the dealership to look at this when I take it in for it’s service. The undertray seems robust enough to wait as I do not wish to do a 120 mile return trip to my local VW agent where I bought my Cali.
I assume it would not be fixed under warranty as the damage was not down to failure of the component and as I understand the tray is around £70 to buy, I will leave it as it is.

Back