T6 LWB White (for now) Camper Build

Thanks for all the positive comments , like @Gavandi my kitchen is going at the back with the side mount bed behind the drivers seat, we only need two travelling seats, but I have left enough room to fit 2 Rib single seat/beds so the van could have 4 seats if I sell it.

Looking good!

I see you have gone for a 5kw hydronic heater - you are going to have a seriously hot camper!! I've not looked at these before - how do you get the heat into the van - do you just run pipes around the interior or will you have radiators?

Looking good!

I see you have gone for a 5kw hydronic heater - you are going to have a seriously hot camper!! I've not looked at these before - how do you get the heat into the van - do you just run pipes around the interior or will you have radiators?

The hydronic is piped to the calorifier to provide hot water, then to a small matrix blower unit which will be under the bed with two outlets for heating the van, 5 Kw does sound a lot but there is a loss of efficiency heating water then putting it through another heat exchanger to heat the air. also you lose some heat from the pipes under the van (these are insulated, but there is some loss). The hydronic 5 has a maximum output of 5kw, but as it gets up to temperature it regulates down to a lower output ( about 2kw, if I remember right). The heater circuit will be tapped into the engine cooling system so that the rear of the van can be heated when driving and also the calorifier will be hot without having to run the Eberspacher.

The hydronic is piped to the calorifier to provide hot water, then to a small matrix blower unit which will be under the bed with two outlets for heating the van, 5 Kw does sound a lot but there is a loss of efficiency heating water then putting it through another heat exchanger to heat the air. also you lose some heat from the pipes under the van (these are insulated, but there is some loss). The hydronic 5 has a maximum output of 5kw, but as it gets up to temperature it regulates down to a lower output ( about 2kw, if I remember right). The heater circuit will be tapped into the engine cooling system so that the rear of the van can be heated when driving and also the calorifier will be hot without having to run the Eberspacher.
Thanks for the explanation. I like the idea of having diesel fuelled hot water on tap - I have a 12/240 immersion heater in mine which is great on hook-up but doesn't last long off grid (12v will only work when engine is running - which is good so long as I remember to flick the switch!)

anymore updates?

Here's the latest progress, I suffer from the curse of the self employed, working away most of the week and being very busy, which is great for business, but not so good for building campers!

IMG_0661.JPG
I have changed the double passenger seat for a single, fitted swivels to both seats and had the cushions for the bed/seat made and the front seats re-covered

IMG_0662.JPG
There will be a panel in front of the bed, the auxiliary batteries and electrics are going in here, you can just see the mains and Ring split charge unit on the right.

IMG_0674.JPG
This is how it works as a bed with the front seats swivelled.

IMG_0675.JPG

The heater matrix blower is mounted under the passenger seat, it fits perfectly on the leisure battery mount, it will be covered with a panel with outlet vents.

IMG_0668.JPG

The Cambee kitchen pod has arrived, I'm very happy with the quality, well worth the wait. I built the fridge unit and there is a tall cupboard on order to go between the fridge unit and the cassette toilet on the right.
I'm going for a retro look with birch ply and Formica furniture and the upholstery fabric is a reproduction Westfalia pattern from the mid 70's

A question.....wool will absorb moisture, but for it to release moisture, it needs to breathe surely, and not be behind panelling where there is no air flow?

A question.....wool will absorb moisture, but for it to release moisture, it needs to breathe surely, and not be behind panelling where there is no air flow?
I have just been looking inside a California and as I thought there was certainly no insulation behind the kitchen unit as you can see the metal of van side, I did hear that they don’t have it because the nite heater over comes any losses,
In my own van I have just sound deadened and fitted a nite heater and it’s perfect

This is my second camper build, I did a T4 conversion a few years ago and really enjoyed it, both the build and the camping.
So on to number 2...
Details keep changing as ideas come and go, but basics are a full camper with rear kitchen, side mounted, slide out bed (not travelling seats) behind the drivers seat.
I'm planning a bit of a retro look...

View attachment 9038

This is the starting point, candy white highline panel van, 102 manual, long wheelbase 12 months old and 8000 miles. I have ordered a SCA rear lift roof, it's a long lead time, so I have been doing the windows and lining while waiting for the roof.
Wow you certainly know what you're doing. I wish I had your skills to do that ... I have a LWB SHUTTLE T6, 9 SEATER. That I just acquired. Any guidance thoughts, pls advise. Pls see my post under this category just posted. Cheers Paul

Updating the thread a bit, the filler for the water tank is in, it’s a stainless marine item, I didn’t fancy the plastic caravan type.

62268C6B-6CD3-40EE-A7E2-32C39151F33F.jpeg

The tall cupboard is now in, it was made by a bespoke kitchen company, it came square-backed and I scribed it into the van side. Also the bed front panel.
2086E88A-0C25-4FCE-8332-7883432222D9.jpeg 859938C0-8040-44AA-8083-4BD3DDF0C09E.jpeg

Thanks for that @Bluey, as always , the conversion is taking longer than expected, it’s not helped by having a non-standard layout so everything has to be specially made. I have done most of the work myself except for fitting the pop top, making the bed and some of the furniture. The heating and plumbing is now complete, the hot water and shower work really well, the electrics are almost finished, I’ll put up more photos soon.

Thanks for that @Bluey, as always , the conversion is taking longer than expected, it’s not helped by having a non-standard layout so everything has to be specially made. I have done most of the work myself except for fitting the pop top, making the bed and some of the furniture. The heating and plumbing is now complete, the hot water and shower work really well, the electrics are almost finished, I’ll put up more photos soon.
Wish I could do half what you have achieved .... but I am trying - VERY!!!

The cassette toilet is fitted and will be boxed in with a hinged worktop above.

5025D7B5-7C9A-49BE-A1D6-36C30456BBC9.jpeg

I have fitted a second table (by Chippys Workshop) on a Fiamma cranked arm
C40D0FC3-AFC5-4CEE-BCEC-8967F6F72B00.jpeg

This is the plug in shower, it works really well off the pressurised hot and cold water system
68AD0362-F07E-469F-84BC-905CB70A3336.jpeg

The gas locker will be panelled in with birch ply so you will only be able to see the access door

D77F381C-F473-488A-A943-15F512B45D68.jpeg 888D91E6-2D57-49BF-9800-30AC46C17E50.jpeg

Noticed you have kept the OEM floor lining, did you take it up at all, and sound deaden or insulate the floor?
I have only sound deadend the sides of the van.
There is no insulation under the floor the original floor is basically insulation it’s self!
Also I have a diesel heater so it’s very comfortable

Back