Step light staying on. Wiring issue? [Resolved]

Foxypaull

Can anyone help. Have a T6 highline converted. The sliding door step has 2 led micro led lights in. When door opens the led lights shine bright then after door closure and lock the lights dim but don’t go off. Any ideas on how to stop them staying on dimly. I’ve read the threads on timers etc but is it a case of following wiring etc. any ideas let me know. I’m assuming they should be on when door open and then go off after a defined period of time rather than just go dimmer.

How dim are they when off, if they are 'glowing' and visible when it's dark then try a 1k resistor across the terminals. It's a common problem and due to the way the van 'turns off' the power. The alternate is to fit a mosfet relay to isolate the lights from the courtesy circuit.

If they are dimming but staying bright enough to see them on during the daytime they you have a different problem and they may have been connected incorrectly.

How dim are they when off, if they are 'glowing' and visible when it's dark then try a 1k resistor across the terminals. It's a common problem and due to the way the van 'turns off' the power. The alternate is to fit a mosfet relay to isolate the lights from the courtesy circuit.

If they are dimming but staying bright enough to see them on during the daytime they you have a different problem and they may have been connected incorrectly.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. They are dimming but are visible during day when locked and run when vehicle operating, door opening and closed, then eventually dim down to visible sight. I’ve chased the wires back. They join at top of c pillar. 2 wires go into three. The brown and red is capped off. The other red black and brown join onto the wire extension which runs down c pillar to step. Does that sound right connection ? Let me know if it’s obvious from what I say. If that sounds right I’ll try the resister you mention. Presumably you just put the resister in the positive feed wire. Hope that makes sense.

Your step lights should connect to the following wires in the courtesy circuit.

Red/Black +ve (turned off by the van after around 20 minutes)
Brown/Red -ve (switched on by opening the doors or unlocking)

The Brown wire should NOT be connected. This is permanent -ve and will leave the lights on constantly, until the +ve is turned off by the van timer.

The Brown wire should NOT be connected. This is permanent -ve and will leave the lights on constantly, until the +ve is turned off by the van timer.
Hi. Brilliant. You are a star. That’s was the problem. Looks like whoever did it has connected the wrong brown wire. All sorted now. Thanks for your help.

Should the step light stay on whilst driving? I've not owned my van long and believe it or not, last night was the first time I've actually driven it in the dark and I noticed that it stayed on for my journey (only a 10 minute journey so noted @Deaky comment above about 20 minutes. BUT it also stays on for 'x' amount of time when I lock the vehicle. I would've thought once locked the light would turn off immediately??

Should the step light stay on whilst driving? I've not owned my van long and believe it or not, last night was the first time I've actually driven it in the dark and I noticed that it stayed on for my journey (only a 10 minute journey so noted @Deaky comment above about 20 minutes. BUT it also stays on for 'x' amount of time when I lock the vehicle. I would've thought once locked the light would turn off immediately??
It shouldn't stay on and it should go off with all the other courtesy lights when you lock the van

It shouldn't stay on and it should go off with all the other courtesy lights when you lock the van
I thought as much because I hadn't noticed it before. Somethings playing up then......

I thought as much because I hadn't noticed it before. Somethings playing up then......
Definitely. Just out of interest is your cab light on as well or is the cab light turned off? Is your van converted? Had any work done recently?

Definitely. Just out of interest is your cab light on as well or is the cab light turned off? Is your van converted? Had any work done recently?
No, cab light off and yes van converted by Denby but no work done recently other than change the battery (main, not leisure)

Did your van have a step light from factory or was it fitted after. Sounds to me like it's been connected to the permanent -ve rather than the switched

Im not sure as im not the original owner. Its just strange how I've never noticed it before. I hire it out as of two months ago so wondered if somehow someone has changed a setting/a switch (if at all possible)

Im not sure as im not the original owner. Its just strange how I've never noticed it before. I hire it out as of two months ago so wondered if somehow someone has changed a setting/a switch (if at all possible)
There's not a setting or switch to change. If it was shorting and coming on, the other lights would come on too. Maybe it's always been like this. You'd need to take the passenger b pillar cover off and look at the wiring.

There's not a setting or switch to change. If it was shorting and coming on, the other lights would come on too. Maybe it's always been like this. You'd need to take the passenger b pillar cover off and look at the wiring.

Just sorted it mate. Went round open and closing every door and turns out the rear barn door wasnt shut properly or wasnt detecting that it was shut (as it did look closed and the vehicle doesnt lock whilst a doors open. Definitely a strange one

Hi Deaky having gone through this thread i had a similar issue with my sliding door courtesy lights however in may case it was never actually wired up the problem i have is trying to tap into the courtesy light circuit which i believe can be found in the B pillar having removed the cover i have found 2 looms, one seems to go to the door lock and the other seems to come from the van roof down the B pillar then towards the front of the cab however there doesn't seem to be any coloured wiring corresponding to the info in your thread i have attached a photo of the loom at the base of the B pillar can you offer any advice?

Hi Deaky having gone through this thread i had a similar issue with my sliding door courtesy lights however in may case it was never actually wired up the problem i have is trying to tap into the courtesy light circuit which i believe can be found in the B pillar having removed the cover i have found 2 looms, one seems to go to the door lock and the other seems to come from the van roof down the B pillar then towards the front of the cab however there doesn't seem to be any coloured wiring corresponding to the info in your thread i have attached a photo of the loom at the base of the B pillar can you offer any advice?
It only goes down the b pillar if you have step lights from the factory. it will go across the top of the b pillar, in the main loom to the back, or if it’s easier you’ll find it passing through the coupling station under the glove box.

Thanks for that what colour wires should i be looking in a T6.1?
Red with a black stripe = +ve
Brown with a red stripe = -ve switched by the doors.

This is where it passes through

E3AA5BCC-7275-4168-8537-92FDE735686F.jpeg

Back