I will put a fly in the ointment here....

I'm sure that led systems have to have self levelling.. This was/is true of the xenon headlights.. If the sensor fails, the lights revert to a safe (very) dipped stance in order that no oncoming road users are blinded.. Therefore imho you need to fit the self levelling kit to the system, after all, VW wouldn't have fitted it if they could have gotten away with doing without it!

Btw, I'd like retrofit LED lights, but ones that conform..

Good work so far, but think it's in need of the self levelling kit..

Managed to get a few hours on the van today and got my lights finished off finally !!
Really happy with the results, made the mistake of bending down and having a 'proper' look at the lights on main beam took a couple minutes for my sight to recover :eek:
Promised to take the wife out tonight so no dartmoor driving tonight may have to wait until tomorrow

View attachment 10371

View attachment 10372

View attachment 10373
Welcome to the club!

I am sure the self leaving is to allow for the van to carry a empty or full load without input from the driver . If you run around with the same weight I think it would be fine . It would be best to set it up with you max normal load then if you remove tools or passengers the lights will point down . Have you managed to get any adjustment on them or is it a screwdriver job . This must be the safest way to up grade I have seen yet .

I am sure the self leaving is to allow for the van to carry a empty or full load without input from the driver . If you run around with the same weight I think it would be fine . It would be best to set it up with you max normal load then if you remove tools or passengers the lights will point down . Have you managed to get any adjustment on them or is it a screwdriver job . This must be the safest way to up grade I have seen yet .

Common misconception.. The true reason for self levelling is to stop other road users from being dazzled or blinded by the higher output of light in the case of led and xenon.. Height adjustment is not normally available to the driver, as is not needed due to the lights maintaining the correct level automatically, in the case of failure, it reverts to a safe lowered stance, normally the lowest it can go. On start up, the levelling system goes through its range of travel to check itself, and then settles to its set height if all is well.

I think Pauls post above attests to the fact of how blinding the LED light can be, and that is in daylight as far as I am aware..

The problem is that if we all go around doing the mods wrongly, or incorrectly, the government will just, as in some countries, not allow you to modify them from how they left the dealer or factory, then you will have nobody else to blame...

Safest way to date is the h7 route, until levelling is sorted.

Last edited:
Common misconception.. The true reason for self levelling is to stop other road users from being dazzled or blinded by the higher output of light in the case of led and xenon.. Height adjustment is not normally available to the driver, as is not needed due to the lights maintaining the correct level automatically, in the case of failure, it reverts to a safe lowered stance, normally the lowest it can go

If you serch this forum your find posts from someone who had a failure and found the lights illuminating the trees and the opposite traffic-- it did not revert to the lowest setting...!-

Think that chap was on hols in Switzerland or abroad at least iirc.... Might have been set wrong in first place.. He didn't confirm something had failed... And you can't argue against con and use regs etc etc... But there you go.. I'm not making the kit or selling it, so I'm not liable for any crap! As I said before, why do VW fit it at vast expense over the h4 and h7 system with the adjustment on the dash dial, and why does the other company go to great lengths to fit the levelling system.. Charging iirc 3k for the job!

So.:. How much you think for a kit then Pauly? And how much coding needs doing if any?

Thats a good question i havent sat down and worked out an exact figure yet as i bought plenty of parts that i either didnt need or got used on a prototype loom and binned and had to buy some bits in bulk, but for the headlight only kit as it stands will be around £1550-1600 + vat, more info to follow over coming days

I will put a fly in the ointment here....

I'm sure that led systems have to have self levelling.. This was/is true of the xenon headlights.. If the sensor fails, the lights revert to a safe (very) dipped stance in order that no oncoming road users are blinded.. Therefore imho you need to fit the self levelling kit to the system, after all, VW wouldn't have fitted it if they could have gotten away with doing without it!

Btw, I'd like retrofit LED lights, but ones that conform..

Good work so far, but think it's in need of the self levelling kit..
This is coming but i am looking at the options first, i want to see what manual adjustments are there and i also want to see if the stock dial adjuster is compatible with the LED lights

The lights come out the box pointing straight, after fitting i put them on an MOT light tester and they were fine
They have manual adjust screws in the form of large plastic screws on top, i used a screwdriver and they adjusted fine

Not sure if this helps any @Pauly ,

The law on aftermarket HID and LED lighting in the UK, in detail, with links and references
ECE Regulations 48 and 98 are the ones which apply to HID headlights, and 48 is the one which deals specifically with how HID headlights must be fitted to be legal.

Headlight washers and automatic levelling
Part 6.2.9. "Other requirements" says: "Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.”

Part 6.2.6.2.2 says "... devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or non-continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop position at which the lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means. These manually adjustable devices shall be operable from the driver's seat."

However, part 6.2.9. says “With respect to vertical inclination the provisions of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. above shall not be applied for dipped-beam headlamps:

(a) With LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam; or

(b) With a light source producing the principal dipped beam and having an objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen."

So, these laws say you must have washers and automatic levelling only if the light source is more than 2,000 lumens total output, or the light is produced by LEDs (of any brightness), according to (b), above.

Taken from..

Are aftermarket HID headlights legal in the UK? Will they pass an MOT? What about LED headlights? | Greyhead.co.uk

Just to throw a spanner in the works though, my last car (Merc E class) had full LED headlights with self levelling but no washers!

The MOT manual just says "Where fitted" for washers.

Mot does not check for conformity, hence why it says where fitted.. If you supply a kit, then you need to be sure that what you are supplying does not make the vehicle contravene c of u, or make it unfit for road use, as you are liable...

Its a funny one this, @Caravellet6 has full LED headlights with no washers installed from the factory !
Think that could be due to the lumens, think that possibly when you read into it a bit more that might be the key? Not sure, just beware, it's advisable on this one to make notes and keep all evidence of your due diligence. Might also be worth putting the completed modded test vehicle through an sva check, might even find that is needed? But might also be a further source of info for you.

They all have them now it was only early ones that didnt

Might point to a cock up by vw but more likely the headlight led unit was changed to another supplier which lead to an increase in projected lumens.. Either way you need to be sure on the compliance front, and would be a nice and worthy upgrade as well as covering ones arse....

Back