dsg or manual ??

paul600rr

T6 Pro
Hi All

New to forum just need what people think owned a T5 in the past but looking at getting a T6 now nearly new one on a 66 plate onwards got my eye on 2 Kombi at moment good specs on both they are 17 plates around 29k plut vat Tdi 204ps one is in DSG same spec as the manual version apart from not having power latching on tailgate and rear LEDs The DSG version is £1100 more money is the DSG good engine and gearbox and better van to go for ??? or is the manual more reliable and bullet proof ???? any help much appreciated

I think you will get several equally argued answers from both DSG and Manual camps. Personally, having owned both gearboxes, I wouldn't go back to manual, and I think the residuals might be a little stronger on the DSG in the future.
The DSG box coupled with the 204 like I have currently is pretty darn hard to top whats basically a commercial vehicle.

ok thanks for that can you retro fit the power lift tail gate ?? and if so what sort of cost are you looking at

they both have the power sliding doors are these ok good option to have ?? both got LEDs so happy there

I’d go DSG all day long. Power latching is an easy retro fit. Power lift would be more difficult.

Power latching pulls the door in the last bit. Saves you having to slam the tailgate to get it to close.

Have a manual T5.1 this is good but also have now got a T6 4motion with DSG .
Love the DSG now want it in my T5

It would be manual for me.....but in fairness, I've never driven one in a T6. Wife had a dsg polo.....I'm sure they've come a long way in 6 years....but I never trusted it and it didn't feel too robust! It frequently seemed to be in the wrong gear and had some strange quirks. Nothing against auto's.....had one in my BMW touring, but that was a conventional old school torque convertor slush box.....mated to a petrol straight 6cyl.....my god, it was sublime! Gotta say, I'm curious and would like to try one in a T6.

Now i will throw a spanner in the works, i own a DSG kombi (family wagon) and im happy with it, gentle relaxed driving and easy to munch the miles with no stress - do i regret it ? no very happy with it
Time for a new work van in 2018 to replace my ageing transit, will it be a DSG ? No probably not, i just wonder if it would get on my tits driving it all day everyday and doing reasonable mileage, thats the honest answer but its a close call as im not a DSG hater (as of a couple weeks ago)

Now comes the interesting part, i have heard several people moan and loathe DSG and i have always thought whats the problem ?
People complain about lag when pulling away and difficulty reversing on slopes etc etc and i have always taken it with a pinch of salt as never agreed with them ....... until a couple of weeks ago, my kombi went in for some warranty work (on the gearbox as luck would have it) and as i have three kids required a kombi courtesy which they didnt have so i got a brand spankers 67 plate caravelle SE 150 DSG, lovely van with the comfort dash, rear heating twin sliders etc thought we were going to love it until i drove it
This van was an absolute nightmare and i hated it and couldnt wait to give it back, my wife hated it and complained at me every day until it was returned two weeks later, the reason ? The DSG gearbox
It was absolutely terrible, the lag and general unresponsiveness of the thing was unbelievable, reversing was a nightmare, stop/engage reverse/throttle gently and nothing van didnt move, bring the revs upto around 1500-2000 revs on a slight rearward incline and absolutely nothing, no movement....I couldnt believe it, just how different it was from mine !
Being serious if this van had of been mine that i had bought i would have either tried to have the gearbox remapped and if that didnt work i would have sold it it was that annoying, jump back to my van and its the polar opposite, the second you engage a gear its ready to go, click it into reverse wait a second and as soon as you release the footbrake even on a rearward slope and it starts to pull back and wants to go, the slightest touch on the throttle and your moving comfortably and in a controlled manner.

I have no idea why it is so different between the two vans it makes no sense but its how it was/is, back to real time would i buy another van that was DSG ? No, not without being able to drive it first to see if i had one with a nice tight responsive feel that i would buy or one that had this slack laggy non responsiveness that i would run a mile from

I realise i am hijacking this thread slightly and may move it off to its own thread but interested to open up the debate on how people find their DSGs because if there are lots more out there like the caravelle i had im surprised people arent complaining more !

Now i will throw a spanner in the works, i own a DSG kombi (family wagon) and im happy with it, gentle relaxed driving and easy to munch the miles with no stress - do i regret it ? no very happy with it
Time for a new work van in 2018 to replace my ageing transit, will it be a DSG ? No probably not, i just wonder if it would get on my tits driving it all day everyday and doing reasonable mileage, thats the honest answer but its a close call as im not a DSG hater (as of a couple weeks ago)

Now comes the interesting part, i have heard several people moan and loathe DSG and i have always thought whats the problem ?
People complain about lag when pulling away and difficulty reversing on slopes etc etc and i have always taken it with a pinch of salt as never agreed with them ....... until a couple of weeks ago, my kombi went in for some warranty work (on the gearbox as luck would have it) and as i have three kids required a kombi courtesy which they didnt have so i got a brand spankers 67 plate caravelle SE 150 DSG, lovely van with the comfort dash, rear heating twin sliders etc thought we were going to love it until i drove it
This van was an absolute nightmare and i hated it and couldnt wait to give it back, my wife hated it and complained at me every day until it was returned two weeks later, the reason ? The DSG gearbox
It was absolutely terrible, the lag and general unresponsiveness of the thing was unbelievable, reversing was a nightmare, stop/engage reverse/throttle gently and nothing van didnt move, bring the revs upto around 1500-2000 revs on a slight rearward incline and absolutely nothing, no movement....I couldnt believe it, just how different it was from mine !
Being serious if this van had of been mine that i had bought i would have either tried to have the gearbox remapped and if that didnt work i would have sold it it was that annoying, jump back to my van and its the polar opposite, the second you engage a gear its ready to go, click it into reverse wait a second and as soon as you release the footbrake even on a rearward slope and it starts to pull back and wants to go, the slightest touch on the throttle and your moving comfortably and in a controlled manner.

I have no idea why it is so different between the two vans it makes no sense but its how it was/is, back to real time would i buy another van that was DSG ? No, not without being able to drive it first to see if i had one with a nice tight responsive feel that i would buy or one that had this slack laggy non responsiveness that i would run a mile from

I realise i am hijacking this thread slightly and may move it off to its own thread but interested to open up the debate on how people find their DSGs because if there are lots more out there like the caravelle i had im surprised people arent complaining more !

Thanks for this I've just been reading on the forum about this lag problem some people have had and had new DSG boxes put in i wonder how comment this is ??? this will be a second car for traveling to France etc and fishing van I've driven my sons Golf R in DSG and thats nice and smooth but that is not a diesel transporter so cant compare it i have a mk 7 Golf gtd manual im so on the fence now

Love my manual. If I boot it, I can get through the gears really quickly. With normal driving, 2nd gear always demands more juice otherwise it likes jump a bit...but, that’s about it.

Back