T6 improvements

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
There was much scoffing and huffing about the new T6 Cali over the T5.1; "it's the same" they all cried, worrying about the value of their vans.

We were more or less forced into selling our T5.1; turns out the early 180s were a bit rubbish with emissions issues among many. So we tried non van life, failed, looked at other options, came back to VW. We did three years including two 5 week trips in Europe in our old one and sold it as three years/22750 miles. Now nearing the end of another five week trip putting almost 1500 miles onto our 16 plate 204 4motion.

So here are the better bits;

1)The roof is actually waterproof; the old one wasn't at all and a topper was essential. Only the little vents let in any water in high winds and even that's rare. This is a massive plus!

2) The engine is much better. It's quieter, pulls harder and uses about 7mpg less fuel. It's still a tiny bit reluctant at the lowest revs, it still sounds dieselly but for what it does, it's so much better. Many a tailgater has been shocked as a camper pulls away up a long hill. It's no race car but on the long hills of mountainous Europe, it happily hangs onto 80.

3) The interior LED lights are much better. Dimmable lights in the roof (three) and rear tailgate are a vast improvement. There's also a roof bed area 12v socket now; perfect for sticking on a DVD up there for our kids.

4) The dash is much better; almost too many storage bins TBH but plenty of space for items and it looks like a half decent car rather than a base hire van. Bluetooth is way better and even our basic stereo streams music well. It also switches on straight away unlike our old crap-nav integrated system.

5) Better lights; they're only H7 halogens on ours but they are better.

6) Better kitchen fitout; soft touch cutlery drawer, better fitted units.

7) SO many nice comments from all sorts of people!

8) The paint appears to be much more robust.

9) A decent warranty; proper five year factory warranty for under £400. Perfect.

A few things have come up but nothing we can't sort;

1) The awning rattles a lot. I've tried stuffing cardboard in and even a sock but it won't go away. Only at low speeds over bumps but it's annoying.

2) The electric door latch on the slider has failed several times. It still shuts but not useful.

3) The awning handle latch fell off almost immediately (just a small thing in the sliding seat drawer).

We've also learned to use things we had before but didn't really know about; the battery meter, the interior central locking, etc. We forgot our hookup cable (!) but haven't actually needed it; only on a six day stay did we need a quick drive to charge up the batteries for the fridge.

So all in all, while no changes are massive, they all add up to a van that suits us better.

Let's hope it keeps on working properly!!

Last edited:
There are two; not sure how they're wired up but I presume one kicks if needed? The control panel display tells you %age power, current and voltage; very handy.

In our old van we got five days on one charge in Scotland but that reduced to around two days when the van was a couple of years old.

Water useage is also a major factor when free camping; 30 litres doesn't go as far as you'd expect. Learned to fill up at every opportunity.

Doing a mix of free camping and campsites.

Almost forgot the front blinds; a huge improvement over the old tent pole effort. They are now integrated roller blinds that meet and clip in the middle. However I do prefer the old memory metal side/front window blinds. The new ones stick by magnets and aren't as easy to put up.

Driving a (pretty unpleasant TBH) Caddy loaner yesterday, it did demonstrate how VW has been a bit stingey on spec with the Cali Ocean - while climate is now (ahem) "free" you'd think auto lights, wipers and a MFSW would be thrown in too. I'm guessing most would tick the boxes for them but there comes a point where a budget is a budget - we spent ours on 4motion and a few other bits! None are a major issue but I would expect them to be included TBH seeing as this Caddy has all three and it was a lowly base model (or nearly).

I could understand a Beach being a lower spec, after all isn't that the idea, but you amaze me that an Ocean isn't. Really if I was buying a top spec, to start with, I would expect those details to be in there regardless.

I have spec'd our Kombi as Highline so most things are covered but even then there are a few that, IMHO, should be :rolleyes:

BTW it looks like when adding a Cali roof we have a choice of carpet lining the front headlining or going for a Cali front headlining as well which in turn means Cali plastics on the A & B posts too. So 100% on your recommendation I have said do the latter because we get the windscreen blinds. They had better be worth the extra £XXX or I'll be round to see you ;)

1) The awning rattles a lot. I've tried stuffing cardboard in and even a sock but it won't go away. Only at low speeds over bumps but it's annoying.

I had that issue with the Fiamma f45 on my t5.......bugged the hell out of me 'cos I hate rattles and squeaks with a passion!!!! I found a cure though.....two small nylon webbing straps with plastic trident clips wrapped around the awning. It pulled the bit that opens out right in tight to the main body.....if that makes sense?

Back