T6 Huge disappointment..

Yup. Old redundant Samsung S3 retrieved from the man drawer with nothing but Google maps and Navmii installed on it.

Can tether the S3 to my current S8 so Google maps updates and includes traffic, without the need for the S3 to have it's own sim card. Cheap sat nav. No idea how manufacturers can justify the price they charge for factory fit system

Reactions: DXX
After removing my ply lining its become a totally different experience, there are very few squeeks and rattles, infact its pretty much solid even with t32 suspension.

Its a bit noisy at speed but compared to what it was Im happy as larry.

I'm really sorry you feel that way.....you do make some valid points. Woeful storage and hopelessly inadequate headlights to name but two!! Agreed too on pricing. Hope it grows on you mate.
:thumbsup:

It sounds like you've made your mind up but I'll go through your issues. I've had plenty of issues too and I'm not coming at this as a vw "fan".

5) the noise is the dpf doing a regen. Yes it's a pita but emissions stuff like this is here to stay

So that is what the noise is. I had it booked in for a duff thermostat thinking the cooling fan was operating when it was cold. Looked it up on google and now I get it. All the way to work in 4th this morning!

Hello all.

Firstly let me apologuise, as i fully understand this a forum full of T6 lovers. Sadly im not one of them, however, i naturally respect your opinions.

I have had all sorts of VWs over the years, and in particular Transporters, indeed T3's hold a big place in my heart & i still have my 1989 syncro 16.

Im self employed & use a van for work, having had 3 T5's and never had any issues, i felt quite confident the T6 would somehow be even better, but 3 months in & i feel i made a huge mistake.

Before the masses start chasing me with pitchforks for VW blasphemy, let me point out that these are just my opinions & count for nothing. My van is a work van, and gets used, respectfully, as such.

I think my new T6 is the worst van i have ever owned, thats quite a statement so let me clarify:

The suspension is made of jelly, and the van wallows around the road with no drivers "feel" at all.
The tyres fitted are ditch finders, they genuinely lost traction this week on a damp road on a slight incline.
What total idiot decided cup holders on the dash was a good idea? Hot cup of tea = steamed windscreen - really??
The heating?? despite what the dial says, mine is either napalm hot or cold. Nothing in between, even at a micron off the cold setting its 28 degrees.
The rad fan, despite my temp gauge reading normal, i turn off the engine & a helicopter is running under the bonnet? Is there only an egg cup full of coolant in these vans?
The headlight illumination is simply pitiful.
The dashboard is very cheap & nasty, oh & no top glove box lid, brilliant.
The cruise control only increases or decreases by 5mph.
The MPG is significantly lower than that of my last T5
The fuel tank is smaller too, i assume, make way for the stupid AdBlue, nonsense. Which, is telling me by way of the most annoying message on the dash that i MUST do it in the next 1500 miles, yes ok but thats about 12 more full fuel refills so i think i have time.
On the front of my van is the most hideous wart, i think its something to do with the drive assist, but it looks awful.

So, overall you may have picked up that i really dislike this van with its ugly looks, very cheap build quality and extortionate price tag. This sadly will be my last Transporter, i genuinely wish i had held on to my last T5.

So, my missus thinks its just me, is it? there must be others who have made the change & dont feel the love?

And here's me at the opposite end of the scale. i love this van so much, its drive, comfort etc. I am selling my 12 month old Tesla Model S 75D cos I'd rather drive this. Sad but very true!

And here's me at the opposite end of the scale. i love this van so much, its drive, comfort etc. I am selling my 12 month old Tesla Model S 75D cos I'd rather drive this. Sad but very true!
I thought you loved the Tesla!!??

I did but i'm not using it, the T6 is awesome and i just enjoy driving it.

The other side is Tesla service is just awful.
Have to admit that of the 3 vehicles on my drive it’s the T6 I enjoy the most (might change my mind if we get some decent snow fall over the winter!).

I did but i'm not using it, the T6 is awesome and i just enjoy driving it.

The other side is Tesla service is just awful.
A mate has a P85D and likes it a lot and says the service is pretty good but he wouldn't buy one (it's a company car) - just too wide for normal roads and the battery technology dates too quickly.

I reckon its the future though - they've brought out a sports concept car that is meant to to 0-100 (not 0-60) in 4.6 seconds. That would actually pull your face off.

A mate has a P85D and likes it a lot and says the service is pretty good but he wouldn't buy one (it's a company car) - just too wide for normal roads and the battery technology dates too quickly.

I reckon its the future though - they've brought out a sports concept car that is meant to to 0-100 (not 0-60) in 4.6 seconds. That would actually pull your face off.

The battery technology last year is now superseded. To add to the mix when Volvo, Jag, BMW and Mitsubishi put their new all battery offerings on the table in 2018 the arse will drop out of Tesla resale values.

Esso announced today 350kwh charges in their main Euro filling stations. That'll also have an impact.

The battery technology last year is now superseded. To add to the mix when Volvo, Jag, BMW and Mitsubishi put their new all battery offerings on the table in 2018 the arse will drop out of Tesla resale values.

Esso announced today 350kwh charges in their main Euro filling stations. That'll also have an impact.
Certainly worth hanging on I reckon but I'm quite excited about the future. I'll sure miss the sound of a nice petrol being revved (I rev our M135i just for the noise at tines - very sad...!) but they'll be killed off soon.

What total idiot decided cup holders on the dash was a good idea? Hot cup of tea = steamed windscreen - really??
The heating?? despite what the dial says, mine is either napalm hot or cold. Nothing in between, even at a micron off the cold setting its 28 degrees.

fully agree with above. Plus what kind of idiot put THIRD cup holder in back rest of THIRD passanger?.... in 2 seater caddy i had 4 cup holders and in 3 seater transporter i have 2...
And you have to have really long hands to reach cup without leaning forward plus normal paper cup just get jammed before it reaches the bottom - i had to stuff like 1/5 of cupholder with paper so it hits bottom first...
Also automatic lights with no indication at the dashboard (ok full beams are).
But this is all small comparing to heating - it drives me crazy......

But in defense of t6 i will say i tried to sit in nissan nv300 (or nv200? vivaro alike) and there was no room for legs at all and placement of 3rd cup holder was almost equally stupid.

Evening all,
Just an update, had the van 10 months now and a few miles on. Sadly it hasnt grown on me and im counting down to getting out of it. MPG is now at 38ish, which is about the same as my T5 but with the smaller tank still frustrates me.
Ho Hum, just thought id let know how im getting on (want to burn it actually!).
Hope you are all enjoying your vans, I still have love for the T3, T4 & T5s so dont hate me!

Clivebase...You started a cracking thread mate. Interesting reading and every point from all is very valid.
I'm with you on 8 out of 10 points but unfortunately you just don't get that friendly wave in a Transit. You get a rattle free, perfectly drivable van but no wave.
VW it is.

The cruise control does go up in 1 mph increments, just keep pressing the RES button with cruise control on! And the SET reduces by 1 mph increments........

Last edited:
I love mine so much I'm thinking of marrying it but the Mrs won't let me lol
Sorry you aren't enjoying it but I do agree that the headlights are shite!!
I've had cars with brighter side lights. Upgrade the bulbs and jobs a goodun

Ahhh man, sorry to hear that you’re not into the T6.

My main gripe with the van is the headlights and that is really as far as it goes.

The T6 has outperformed every van I’ve ever owned.

I basically torture the poor thing by constantly towing at maximum train weight, getting it bogged down in muddy fields. I even took it through 4ft of water and flooded the inside of the van (water even came out of the vents) Yet, it keeps going without even breaking a sweat.

I’ve written off two vans before my VW and I have a feeling the T6 won’t let me beat it.

My mileage costs are better than ever, just bear in mind that MPG is awful to begin with, I think I remember quite a few memebers on here getting poor results when their engines were new. But it gets better. I’m getting 410 - 430 miles on 60ltrs and that’s amazing considering my van normally looks like this...

View attachment 15712

Interestingly I have noticed I no longer have the engine burn off the soot in the DPF when I’ve finished a journey. The engine just shuts down with the ignition. I think it’s been a good 6 weeks since its regen’d when switched off. Maybe my timing is just good.
You're meant to just tow just the caravan, not stick it on a trailer.;)

Didn’t think the suspension was to bad and the handling is pretty good definitely better than a Ford Transit. You haven’t got winter tyres fitted by any chance? Would agree the cup holders aren’t the best and the glove box could be bigger. Headlights I can live with but could be better. Things that annoy me most are voice control and app connect not being fitted as standard, the mirrors not folding on locking and not having a bigger fuel tank. The sat nav is miles better once connected to the internet but the post code/address search is extremely poor.

I think virtually every item mentioned in this thread is different in the caravelle; so perhaps VW already know how to improve the T6.
We bloody love out Vel; just missing keyless entry.

Back