Headlight protectors / euro deflectors

MGT

Apologies in advance I know there is google but.....

Where can I get headlight covers for my Caravelle, I'd seen some that have already been set to deflect the headlight beam.

I've not always used the deflectors on other cars but they seemed like an easy bolt on solution.

Out and about today and need to try to order today to arrive by Saturday, hence the post here ;-)

I've got the headlight protectors on my H4, they come with placement marks on them for the blackout sections for Europe which are included.. When fitting, be VERY careful of the bottom, slide it in from outside edge of vehicle, as will need tapping in with palm of your hand, otherwise you will crack the protector if putting on directly from the front as the headlight to bumper is a TIGHT fit! :eek::rolleyes::whistle::whistle::thumbsdown::thumbsup:

Oh btw VW, or EBay, but dealers are quicker!

I can also do replacement blackouts, but I do mine in matt black or other colours

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Great TY - I assume there is an obvious place where you attach them under the bonnet?

@MGT , yep, will post it up in a while, 5 min fit including unpacking, that's each side. Basically, you offer up unit, put a clear bit of vinyl where the screw goes to protect lens from the fixing (vinyl goes on headlight lens), then clip on stainless fitting. Peel backing off of "Velcro" circle, slide in unit and screw in stainless screw. Press Velcro circle in back upper corner to headlight lens and make sure all is well..

Removal, don't bother, just remove blackout sticker, as then headlights are protected..

But if needs, undo screw, release Velcro circle, and use the short edge of a small Allen key hooked into bottom retaining lip with a set of mole grips attached to pull protector out from between bumper and headlight.. Note work left and right edges of bottom lip with the Allen key. This Allen key method prevents the protector from breaking as you are pulling directly on the tightest point of the fixing.

Last edited:
Wish mine were :eek:, let me know if you get them.. OE come with the blackouts on two seperate bits of vinyl, they are pre cut, if you keep the backing and pm me, I'll give you my addy, if you could post me the backings once you have fitted the blackouts which will show the outline or silhouette of the blackouts, I can vectorise them, and I'll do you a couple of new sets for your efforts:thumbsup:

Here is the fitment of the stainless fitting, it also shows the clear vinyl protective strip fitted to the headlight lens. Also this is what you are left with (similar) having fitted the blackouts.. But they will also have left and right on them, but you can tell which is which by the markings on the headlight protectors.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: MGT
@MGT without wishing to teach Granny to suck eggs :whistle:, you will (should) have differently marked protectors for the H7s as you have separate dipped and main beam light units as opposed to the combined unit of the H4s of @T6 Dave. Only the dipped units of the H7s will have the masking for the continent. :thumbsup:

@T6 Dave's Dad , yep this is correct, but they will have blackouts, and they will be different shaped vinyl sections to my H4's, which is why I'm interested in the backings to look at.. :thumbsup:

@T6 Dave thanks for the pics, as soon as I get some I'll get the copies to you, might not get time before sunday to get any but we go a few times a year and I'd rather have the protectors on!

@T6 Dave Thank you for posting the detailed instructions on fitting the headlight protectors. I got to figure 2 of VW's instructions and puzzled over how much force would be required. At this point, I remembered that every T6 problem that I have had so far, has already been solved and reported on this forum. Sliding the bottom lip in as you suggest worked very well. Here is figure 2 re-drawn to show your suggestion.

The protectors fit fairly well but the points nearest the radiator (bottom left corner in this illustration) are 2-3 mm clear of the surface of the headlight and the stainless steel strap could have been made to follow the contours of the top of the light better.

Thanks again, Richard.

Headlight-Protector-VW-Instructions-fig2-ed.png

Hi all, My husband and are are due to collect our newly converted T6 Highline tomorrow. It is our second VW after having all different sizes of motorhomes over the years.
It is 11 months old and we were told it had non-directional headlights and therefore doesn't need deflectors for Europe. Is this correct please as we are going on tour to France and Spain next week!

If it has LED headlights from the factory then correct it doesn't need them.

I would always keep a set in the van just in case you get an overzealous copper somewhere who wont accept it and wont let you move. Never heard of it happening but there is a first time for everything and for a couple of quid the peace of mind would be worth it.

Hi all, My husband and are are due to collect our newly converted T6 Highline tomorrow. It is our second VW after having all different sizes of motorhomes over the years.
It is 11 months old and we were told it had non-directional headlights and therefore doesn't need deflectors for Europe. Is this correct please as we are going on tour to France and Spain next week!
Have a search on the forum. If it’s got factory LED then I think the consensus was that they don’t need deflectors.

If it has LED headlights from the factory then correct it doesn't need them.

I would always keep a set in the van just in case you get an overzealous copper somewhere who wont accept it and wont let you move. Never heard of it happening but there is a first time for everything and for a couple of quid the peace of mind would be worth it.
Thank you very much. I will keep a set just in case!

Have a search on the forum. If it’s got factory LED then I think the consensus was that they don’t need deflectors.
Thank you

Back