No ISOFIX

Ann

We have a 6 month old Grandson. Our T6 converted into camper doesn’t have conventional rear seats, only custom built corner rear facing seats behind front driver and passenger bench. We’d love to be able to take him out in van but not sure we can get a safe baby seat fitted. Either front or rear. Anyone got and ideas or recommendations?

We have a 6 month old Grandson. Our T6 converted into camper doesn’t have conventional rear seats, only custom built corner rear facing seats behind front driver and passenger bench. We’d love to be able to take him out in van but not sure we can get a safe baby seat fitted. Either front or rear. Anyone got and ideas or recommendations?
Do you have 3 seats or 2 in the front?

If you have a bench could you mount a baby seat in the middle? If 2 seater captains, obviously no way.

If you have a bench could you mount a baby seat in the middle? If 2 seater captains, obviously no way.

Hi, we have the passenger double bench with two seat belts.

If you fit a seat on the front bench, remember to switch OFF the passenger airbag with the key switch on the left of the dash.

Reactions: Ann
Was just about to write that, if the seat is rear facing it MUST be turned off as the airbag would blow out straight into the rear of the seat

Now we know it’s possible to find one to use with front passenger bench seat, we’ll look around. Our son has got an isofix in their car, and we thought we’d need to have same. But will look for one suitable for our T6 front bench seat. Thanks for advice all :)

Now we know it’s possible to find one to use with front passenger bench seat, we’ll look around. Our son has got an isofix in their car, and we thought we’d need to have same. But will look for one suitable for our T6 front bench seat. Thanks for advice all :)

Most baby seats can be attached with a seat belt legally. Isofix is safer and more convenient but for irregular travel, seat belt may be fine.

Can you explain this comment? Why could you not have a baby seat on the passengers captain seat if it was rear facing and air bag was off?

Edit - or do you just mean in this particular instance where there are already 2 adults occupying the captains seats?

Edit - or do you just mean in this particular instance where there are already 2 adults occupying the captains seats?

Yes, this. If you have 2 adults you cant.

I have twin captains and it's fine to use a baby seat, just can't have another adult with you which sounded an issue for the OP.

Yes, this. If you have 2 adults you cant.

I have twin captains and it's fine to use a baby seat, just can't have another adult with you which sounded an issue for the OP.
Thanks. Had me in a panic that there was a rule I wasnt aware off and was breaking sometimes:)

Isofix aren’t necessarily safer. Just that there is more margin for error with seatbelted seats. It’s also still possible to get isofix wrong as well.

Having been through 5 car seats so far, the one I like the most is one of the cheapest. Mothercare Madrid, £50 sometimes in the sales. It’s a baby seat and works great for our 18mth old. It fits with a seat belt and faces forward or back. Great recline on it for them to sleep in too.

Our 3 year old is tall and has been in a high backed booster since before his 3rd birthday. They’re great once the child is tall/heavy enough not to use the straps as it just uses the seatbelt in the normal way, a breeze to use and relocate.

I’ve had both of them in the front seat.

Re: airbag, if the child is rear facing then turn it off. If the child is front facing, unless the seat base is above the dashboard, I’d leave the airbag on as it will protect a correctly strapped in child nearly as well as an adult.

Isofix aren’t necessarily safer. Just that there is more margin for error with seatbelted seats. It’s also still possible to get isofix wrong as well.

Exactly, less risk of mismounting so overall, safer. Hard to get isofix wrong as most of them have visual indicators for correct mounting.

We have an isofix for our 18 month old in one of the cars and since it rotates to front or rear facing you can make it face the door to make it easy getting them in and out. By far the easiest I’ve dealt with in that regard. It’s bulky and heavy though when you need to swap cars with it. Favourite one is a tall back booster for my 5 year old that’s really light and was reduced to £35 in Halfords. I bought one for the car and a second for the camper

Our front double passenger seat doesn’t have ISOFIX connectors. I’ve been to Halfords and they helped by trying different seat belt fixed chairs to our seat. We had a choice and decided we’ll probably go for their own brand chair that will suit age of our grandson and upwards to 7 years. I could sit next to it in comfort too. We will only need it occasionally. Thanks for all your advice :)

Having been through 5 car seats so far, the one I like the most is one of the cheapest. Mothercare Madrid, £50 sometimes in the sales. It’s a baby seat and works great for our 18mth old. It fits with a seat belt and faces forward or back. Great recline on it for them to sleep in too.

Our 3 year old is tall and has been in a high backed booster since before his 3rd birthday. They’re great once the child is tall/heavy enough not to use the straps as it just uses the seatbelt in the normal way, a breeze to use and relocate.

I’ve had both of them in the front seat.

Re: airbag, if the child is rear facing then turn it off. If the child is front facing, unless the seat base is above the dashboard, I’d leave the airbag on as it will protect a correctly strapped in child nearly as well as an adult.
Ordered the mothercare Madrid last night for my car and the camper as the camper doesn’t have isofix on the captains seats or rib and we needed a seat that would do both. We will keep the isofix one in my wife’s car

Hi. New to this forum. Just wondering if anyone has managed to find a way to legally fit a child seat in the front of a transporter. I know in vans other than in Australia there is a button to disconnect the airbag.
Also does anyone know where you can have aftermarket isofix points fitted.
Any help would be great, looking at buying a 4motion van soon.

Not sure about in Australia, but in the UK, some car seats can be secured using the 3-point belt.

There is also an airbag switch on UK models.

You’d need to check regs/guidance on whether you’d need to switch this off for forward facing seats (definitely do for rearward facing)

Back