T6 Forum Members Favourite Campsites.

Gavandi

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Always good to know what other members think are great sites...
may even get to a T6 forum top ten??

Here's a few to start:

The Sands Campsite at Gairloch NC 500 Westeross Scotland
Hooks House Farm at Robin Hoods Bay, Yorkshire
Porthclais Campsite, St David's, Pembrokeshire.

Won't hold you to it but would like to know where next to head to?

I think what constitutes a good site for one person might not work for another. As an example, we love Glanlynn at Bala and have been using it for 30 years (break of circa 15 years between when we used to go there and re-finding about 5 years ago), primarily because of the sailing and fact it's good for group meets (hence recommending for the T6F meet last year) but, in terms of facilities, it is OK but falls well below other sites we use.

If not away as part of a group then we always try to find sites with somewhere nearby that the dogs can have a good run and, preferably, with a nice, dog friendly pub within a mile walk. Aside from Bala, the ones we have visited more than once since having the camper van are:-

Rural Relaxing at Medbourne - this is our bolt hole site where we have been about 7 times for 1 or 2 night stays - small site basic facilities but well kept. Main reason for repeat visits it that it is only about an hour away from home and great for, out of season, Friday afternoon getaways after school.

Waterside House Ullswater - working farm with direct access to lake. About a mile from Pooley Bridge along lakeside path. Stayed there 3 times over last 18 months, and will always be special as the first place we took the van. Facilities OK but it's the location that wins with this one.

Gillside Ullswater - opposite end of the lake to above, well situated for walking around Patterdale, Hellvelyn, etc.. but no good for sailing as about 1/2 mile above lake. We stayed here when Jo was doing a swim in the lake last June, have been back and will go again. Pretty basic facilities but a relatively cheap and accommodating place to stay.

Upper Hurst Farm, Hulme End, Peak District - a relatively small site with excellent facilities but also quite expensive. Used it twice with the van and will be going back this year.

As well as above we have used a few Camping and Caravan Club sites and Haven sites since having the van - not revisited any yet but not saying we wont - all provide a very good standard of facilities and, especially out of season, at some very good prices.

Hi,

Hope everyone is staying safe

Just for a little fun, weres everyone’s number 1 camp site / area

Just to lighten the mood a little
Photos would be great

Andy :mexican wave:

If you are a “walker” my recommendation would be without any doubt, the National Trust campsite in Great Langdale, in Cumbria

Sorry no photos to hand

@Murdoch

Not a big walker personally but the site looks calm and peaceful
Love the look of the pods available

Hope we can get out there in the forceable future
Regards
Andy. :cool:

Il have look
Her indoors wants to go to Wales later this year
What’s the facility’s like

Andy

Basic facilities - basic toilets and showers.
No hook-ups.
Not enough facilities when it’s full.
If you can go mid week out of season then it’s brilliant.
Pete

93BC4887-34EB-437C-8C27-156B01A09A40.jpeg
This was nice, outside Ullapool somewhere, I think it’s called port a bhaigh campsite, we turned late and hadn’t booked so we didn’t get beach front but still nice views. Best thing though was that there was a pub right there serving proper beer and pub grub!

Much further but I guess how long it takes depends on whether you take the high road or the low road:slow rofl:

View attachment 66143
This was nice, outside Ullapool somewhere, I think it’s called port a bhaigh campsite, we turned late and hadn’t booked so we didn’t get beach front but still nice views. Best thing though was that there was a pub right there serving proper beer and pub grub!
I camped there once on a motorcycle trip but right on the lock edge. Overnight a storm hit. Washed the campsite out, had to seek refuge in the toilet block. Morning after the road out of Ullapool to head south was washed away.

I camped there once on a motorcycle trip but right on the lock edge. Overnight a storm hit. Washed the campsite out, had to seek refuge in the toilet block. Morning after the road out of Ullapool to head south was washed away.
It was 25degrees all week when we did the NC500 a few years ago, kids went swimming on the beach there and best of all there was hardly any midgies. We were very lucky!

Did you take the high road by push bike
Seriously we’re did you stay on way up

Andy

We definitely stayed at fort William and Applecross but I can’t remember where else, I think that’s it, third night at that campsite.3133AF96-C6D8-41E9-88C9-ECEDDE59A846.jpeg
Applecross was nice but we didn’t have a great view from the site. The people wild camping further round the bay had the right idea

Nice down Gower . 3 cliffs Bay . And bank farm in Horton nice aswell . We got a kontiki 6 berth and a kombi t6 also...lads great. There. Take care all happy camping......

Back