Diesel Engine Temperature -

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
How quickly should the T6 diesel 150BHP get up to normal operating temperature?
I know diesels are slower to warm up that petrol, however a 30 minute journey to work this morning and I was still at 70C water and 67C oil temperature. That doesn’t feel right.
448EB6DA-98A5-4128-A22B-952DF252E3FB.jpeg 6B4FC9B8-8FFF-4755-8335-8721711BEB8E.jpeg

I've never actually checked how long mine takes to get up to temp, but you need to get a Carista and loose the kmh to BIG MPH.
Best modification you can do for free, that and tear drop wiper but that's a whole other thread :)

I noticed that out T6 is slow to warm up on cold days if the engine is not asked to work hard. We live near a motorway, so a lot of our journeys mean we are up to 70mph very quickly - no issues there with warming up.
However, a slower run not using the motorway (traffic etc) seems to result in much slower warm-up. Particularly if the cabin heater is being used fully on a cold day. I don’t see it as an issue, just the way diesels operate.

What was your journey like this morning ?

Pete

I noticed that out T6 is slow to warm up on cold days if the engine is not asked to work hard. We live near a motorway, so a lot of our journeys mean we are up to 70mph very quickly - no issues there with warming up.
However, a slower run not using the motorway (traffic etc) seems to result in much slower warm-up. Particularly if the cabin heater is being used fully on a cold day. I don’t see it as an issue, just the way diesels operate.

What was your journey like this morning ?

Pete
10 minutes to motorway then 20 mins on the motorway Pete.
It feels like I’m in an old car where the thermostat has failed to ‘open’ and I need to block half of the radiator off with some cardboard

Mine was up to temp ie 90c water and 79c oil after 15mins 11 miles this am. Outside temp about 4c.
Mainly motorway.

It feels like I’m in an old car where the thermostat has failed to ‘open’ and I need to block half of the radiator off with some cardboard

Doesn't sounds right.

Pete

Sound normal to me if you're driving with the interior fan blowing at full speed. If you turn it off, you should see the temperature quickly return to 90deg. If you don't have the fan on, something is wrong.

Its supprising how much the interior fan can cool the engine during town driving.

If the stat has failed, you should feel the radiator is warm, but it's unlikly to fail at this age.

I spoke to my dealer about this last winter and they just said it was normal and that the engine will be more efficient at lower temperatures. My 25 minute commute is mainly a roads and I'm a pretty efficient driver so the engine doesn't work hard at all.(Mines a Euro 5 102bhp)

Doesn't sound right! My water is normally upto temp after about 15 minutes, 10 minutes later oil upto temp too

Quick test this morning, although my T6 is a 140 not a 150.

Ambient temp 5 degrees, cab heater on at about centre of the control & fan on '2'.
First 2.5 miles urban about 7 minutes.
Next 2 miles motorway slightly up hill and straight up to 70mph & cruise.
90 degrees on the temperature gauge at that point with 64 degrees oil temperature. That's less than 5 miles and less than 10 minutes total.

Hope that helps the OP.

Thanks all, a great help.

Booked into dealers for next week! (12 month warranty).

Is it just the people carriers that have an auxiliary coolant heater or can Kombis have them too?

It's completely normal.

Mine doesn't warm up below 10degreea c until I'm a fair few miles out of town and it can take 20mins to get out of town.

I have done 60k now and it's still not up to temp. Diesels suck Betty swallocks. I hate them but stuck with it.

Again it's normal.

I think it really depends on the type of journey, on slow flat A roads, when the motor isn't working hard, mine takes forever i.e. 20+ mins. If I stick in 'Sport' (DSG) and start the journey on a faster uphill route, working the motor harder, then 10 mins.

I've always though it was normal, had VAG diesels for years and they are all slow to get up to temp. That's why I've got a heated screen, heated seats and parking heater.

The wifes got a Diesel Mini, its not quite as 5hite, but still about 10 mins on that slow flat A road route. We're going petrol on her next car!

Just look for the label on the driver door edge

My vans fitted with one, but wondered if this would explain varying warm up times. With an ambient temp 5°C and under, my interior warms up significantly quicker as the coolant heater fires up along with the engine from cold. With the ambient above 5°C it takes a fair bit longer to get a comfortable cabin temp.

Always found VAG group motors a bit like this. Driven various diesel BMWs over the years and from cold they would all heat up very quickly indeed. Always suspected they had a shorter cooling circuit or less coolant in the block/heater, prior to the temperature being reached, whereby the thermostat redirects to the radiator.

Back