Diesel Engine Temperature -

I have a similar issue where it can take ages to warm up. Where I live it's a 1000m above sea level, winter temps around 2-5deg Celcius. Most of my 15 minute commute to work is slightly down hill and generally the heater gets luke warm. Oil temps usually don't get to 60 deg celsius.

If I drive all the way down the hill (which is about 5o minutes and nearly sea level - undulating terrain), the oil temps may reach into the 70's. There are times when the coolant temperate will drop. This typically happens with air temperatures or 10 degrees or less. Keep in mind that the engine doesn't work very hard and often by the end of the 50 minute trip, the fuel consumption can read something like 4L/100km or less.

My local service centre is at the bottom of the hill, where it is a fair bit warmer. They've checked and ran some tests and told me they couldn't find anything wrong. They didn't give me much of an explanation though.

As an experiment, I timed my 204 to 90 deg without the heater on this morning 7degs ambient and it took 5 mins to get to 70deg and 8 mins to 90.

Mmmhm. 7°C this afternoon. Started in Edinburgh city centre. Heater on. Stop/start driving albeit engine remained running the whole time. 12 minutes before needle lifted off the 50°C mark. 24 minutes and at the city outskirts before it got to 90°C. Light foot driving.

Back