T6 electrics - DIY or not?

DaniH

Hi,

I'm currently converting my first camper and want to hear people's experiences of whether they did a DIY job or got a professional to do it :) I have some wiring experience and pretty good at following a you tube video but not sure if it will just fry my brain (no pun intended lol).

I am wanting lighting, 2 plug sockets, power for a 12 volt fridge and an electric hook up option.

What costs am I looking at and if I decide to go down the professional route are there any recommendations for companies in the NW?

Thank youuu :)

I converted a camper myself too and went with a rayne automotive kit. It comes with diagram and all wiring colour coded and labelled and you just feed it around the van and wire it up. Cost around £700 if i remember rightly with battery and inverter

Do it yourself, it’s all very straight forward, have a good read of the how to do it guides written by @Dellmassive and study his wiring diagrams. There’s lots of examples of different set ups, the money you will save means you will be able to buy better equipment. The bit I found needed careful planning was selecting the right cable thickness and runs. I use 12volt planet for my bits and pieces, Amazon is also useful. Post your wiring diagram before you start and you will get good advice such on fuse ratings etc. Also you can future proof it so if you decide to add more usbs, Solar etc. it’s very rewarding to do it yourself

Where about in Lancs are you? I can give a hand if needed. Also Alpha batteries in Rochdale is a good place to go for batteries and Victron stuff.
That's very kind of you, thank you! I live in Ormskirk. It's probably going to be mid July by the time i get round to it :)

Back