Kombi Edition conversion upgrade and learning curve.

After admiring so many and saying one day for a couple of decades I decided now was the right time. I needed to buy a vehicle that was TAX efficient. Although my ideal, Caravelles were out as they could not be classed as commercial, at least for my purpose. I knew it was only weeks before the 6.1 was launching but I wanted to get one and I liked the look of both T6 and T6.1. So in December I took the plunge with a new T6 Kombi Edition DSG. I had tried the local dealerships to attempt to keep local but eventually my £28,075.00 plus £5,615.00 VAT went to Nationwide Cars LTD. This was a hell of a saving off list and that was so important, especially knowing that this base vehicle was only the beginning of my T6 Journey.
So I have my new Vee Dub and already starting to order parts and book in upgrade fittings. So i intend to post regular through my Journey.

IMG_8509.jpg

IMG_8509.jpg

F2EB07A8-16F7-455C-9A87-0893EE66F002.jpegJob 1 completed, additional door seals fitted . Very easy job and very effective for sorting that tinny sound when slammingthe door shut. Under a tenner delivered-from eBay

How did you get the extra length on the bed without a multiflex board?
So we used the two single seats, folded them flat and put a box in the middle, it was comfortable for outside the house and one night but I need invest in a multiflex board

73897DC8-9627-4948-BBF9-850EE7879EDE.jpeg
Job number 2 underway . 69BDDA95-81A4-481A-AEA9-7E10C864D888.jpeg
Fitting fake rear windows with blackout from van style. Not a difficult task and for £115 i think it gets a little closer to The Caravelle look I like. Took a couple hours but I like it.

A8E2BF26-75A8-419A-8175-A9C21E0804DB.jpeg
Job 3 - Today I have fitted my OEM cycle carrier so that I can keep the bike out of the cab from now on. Also booked in with Oxford T5 for Caravelle rails install in a couple of weeks so need to get ready for no bike zone anyway.

Yes very easy, items arrived by courier 2 days after I ordered them, I watched a fitting video online from vanstyle ( the firm I bought them from) before fitting them as I am not a great competent DIYer. It looked straight forward so I made a start- flowed the instruction and 2 hrs later all done. Very pleased with myself. Even the wife commented that it looked like I knew what I was doing. Haha

Yes very easy, items arrived by courier 2 days after I ordered them, I watched a fitting video online from vanstyle ( the firm I bought them from) before fitting them as I am not a great competent DIYer. It looked straight forward so I made a start- flowed the instruction and 2 hrs later all done. Very pleased with myself. Even the wife commented that it looked like I knew what I was doing. Haha
Looks really good! I’m thinking about it it’s one of those things I’ve got to have a think about though as once it’s in that’s it.. :unsure:

View attachment 71391
Job number 2 underway . View attachment 71351
Fitting fake rear windows with blackout from van style. Not a difficult task and for £115 i think it gets a little closer to The Caravelle look I like. Took a couple hours but I like it.
I’m 90% sure I’m going to do this to mine. How does the colour match the other windows? It is obvious they are fake? Your photos look smart, have you tinted any of the door windows ?

I’m 90% sure I’m going to do this to mine. How does the colour match the other windows? It is obvious they are fake? Your photos look smart, have you tinted any of the door windows ?
I haven't tinted my original windows yet as i am waiting for the van to be completed in all other internals before i do, as in my past experience it (tinting film) scratches quite easily. There is no way you can tell they are fake until you are in the van , they look just 100% black out original wondows. so when i increase the other tints at the end they will look all just limo tint.

is your caravelle seat conversion expensive or difficult to do? either the seat cost or fitting? thanks

is your caravelle seat conversion expensive or difficult to do? either the seat cost or fitting? thanks
I have had the rails and seats fitted using Colin at @VWVC (Previously OXFORD T5) at a cost of £5000. He took in part exchange my almost new rubber Kombi floor and triple seat bench at £500 so I paid £4500. He fitted the Caravelle floor at an acceptable level of competence but as he cut and joined bits of old floors (the floors were from twin sliders to fit my single slider) it does not give a factory or one piece floor finish. I have found it to be not great finishing in my opinion resulting in my having to replace the floor at an extra cost of £1200. He did supply two middle seats and a rear bench(bed) in cloth finish in that price and they were all of a good quality (although i plan on having them recovered along with the two front captain chairs to my spec).
So in short , Its not cheap , its not exemplary finishing but this wouldn't stop me recommending him as a competent fitter.

Thank you. Interesting read with honest comments by the sound of it

Back