DSG reliability?

Yes coasting was turned on, mine got worse and more frequent until VW replaced my gearbox eventually

I have a 200bhp T6 4motion DSG on 88k and its starting to worry me. Mostly good change but sometimes 'snarly', shakes the van when changing up from 4-5, 5-6. Also when in 7 doing around 2k it rattles the cab. Used to feel like a petrol, now feeling definitely older (17 plate), just hope this isn't the start of expensive bills. Warranty running out next month, to continue full warranty was £1700...

I have a 200bhp T6 4motion DSG on 88k and its starting to worry me. Mostly good change but sometimes 'snarly', shakes the van when changing up from 4-5, 5-6. Also when in 7 doing around 2k it rattles the cab. Used to feel like a petrol, now feeling definitely older (17 plate), just hope this isn't the start of expensive bills. Warranty running out next month, to continue full warranty was £1700...

Mine did similar, oil cooler failed filling gearbox with coolant. Started off as off poor change and judder and then ended up being undriveable.

Thanks for the tip, think I'll get it back to JCB VW if they are taking non-NHS. It needed a major service including DSG oil change but the main dealer was shut completely at the time. Took it to a local garage (to keep the service correct) but they didn't do the DSG or rear diff (they weren't sure how and they only had it for a day). They wouldn't have known if anything was wrong, and I think the warranty is up at the end of the month. :oops:

Seems like I’m about to get a massive bill from VW garage .. took it in today as vibration while driving around the higher gear changes is horrible …

What’s the damage for a new DSG box ?

Seems like I’m about to get a massive bill from VW garage .. took it in today as vibration while driving around the higher gear changes is horrible …

What’s the damage for a new DSG box ?
about £4-6K ( with DMF etc )

a recon or second will be cheaper?

you taken it to a main dealer?

230BHP 4M ( on your avatar ) - so is yours Mapped?

mileage and age of the van?

2017 plate …
106k mileage

It’s remapped yeah ..

But had the issue before the remap

It was the vw vans in Hull who checked it ..

They seem to think bearings are the cause ..

Last edited:
Sorry been off line for a while ..

Just to update .. after taking to another VW garage in York .. the issue was not the DSG gearbox itself ..

The culprit was the Flywheel .. it was in bad shape and so happy it’s resolved and cheaper than the other garage told me ..

My T5 was manual. I remember changing gears from standstill and it felt like I wasn't moving forward. First, second, third gear, all in the first 100ft.
Lots of changing if you are driving around town. Even worse when queuing. The DSG takes the stress off. However if mostly I was driving B roads and motorway I would happily go back to manual. There is something pleasant about changing gear in a Transporter :).

Back