T6 DSG illuminated selector

Kenza

Hi guys, I am new to this site, so please be gentle, I have been looking at purchasing a used Caravelle Auto going to see it, I see one minor/potential big problem for me, and searching and youtubing for answers I haven't been able to find a resolution.

It relates to the Gear Change. I notice on the Left Hand Drive it is on the same side as the driver but on the RH Drive its the opposite side the gear lever. I notice when sitting in the cab to change gears, I am moving my head so that I can see where the gears are. This wouldn't normally be a big problem to most people however for me, I have a major neck issue that causes pain so I try to avoid as much neck movement as possible.

Does anyone know where I could get a conversion of this so that I can see the P/R/N/D correctly?

Any help is much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

I don't believe there is such a conversion. However, it will tell you on the MFD display in the middle of the speedo & rev counter dials what gear you have selected.

Once you have been driving it for a few days you don’t look at it you just get used to what’s where
I agree it’s not great and a bit cheap of VW to not convert it and it did initially annoy me but soon forgot about it

Welcome to the Forum @Kenza, just one question - when you drive a manual do you look at the H configuration to change gear ? As @Pauly has stated, you soon get used to the gear sequence on the auto box as you do with a manual and it becomes an acquired skill.

Hi guys I am disabled so only have the use of left arm. had broken neck in 4 places hence the reason for auto only. I love the Van. Just a big problem moving my neck. Looks like I need to invent a conversion for it lol. I think I will still buy it.

I had the same issue but literally dont even look anymore. Reverse gets an audible beep as well to help you.

I funnily enough never looked at the MFD as it seems to takes ages to show the info after starting it.

Hi guys I am disabled so only have the use of left arm. had broken neck in 4 places hence the reason for auto only. I love the Van. Just a big problem moving my neck. Looks like I need to invent a conversion for it lol. I think I will still buy it.
@Kenza, I'm truly sorry to hear of your disability but the T6 is an admirable vehicle for all users and most customise theirs to suit their needs. I'm guessing that a simple printed vinyl strip facsimile of the change positions to the right side may not suffice so double check the Multi Function Display (MFD) fits your needs. I'm sure that you will be more than happy with the T6 as is my son. :thumbsup:

Guy's thank you so much for making me feel very welcome here, I am OK with my disabilities i'm used to them just don't like doing things that aggravate issues with it. T6 Dave's Dad I love this idea, I had never given it a thought as may be good until I do changes second nature. Mfwic also a great idea with a mirror, I had a Ford Kuga with a special Mirror in it which helped. PukkaT6 also thanks for the audible note for reverse that also helps loads. I liked these vans for a while now, but not been in a position until now to purchase one.

Last edited:
@Kenza - welcome to the forum!!

As others have said, you really will get used to the positions very quickly so I wouldn't bother doing anything other than maybe some sort of temporary labelling and/or mirror as suggested above.

Hope you like the Caravelle when you see it and it works for you.

Welcome to the forum, I don’t drive ours very often but as others have said it quickly becomes second nature where the various gears are and the MFD can back it up. Just don’t make the same error as me wondering why the mfd still said N when I knew I was in D, I was looking at the sat nag indicator that said I was facing North :rolleyes:

As above, it soon becomes second nature. Far, far less serious than your condition, but I have a grumpy shoulder that's having lots of physio and it's very painful reaching across for the bloody stop/start button, I cuss and swear every time I have to reach over and press it. :(

Hi @Kenza , welcome to the forum.. I have a manual '6, but at the moment am using a DSG Shuttle loaner..

The DSG box goes from park to reverse (1st gear under park) only with the select release button pressed.

After that you can go further down to Neutral just by knocking it down, this gives you drive. But to go back up into Park you need to press the select release button.

Neutral to drive is a simple knock down

To go from drive to neutral is a simple knock upwards with no danger (unless you have the select release button pressed in) of going into reverse.

To go from drive to Sport you need to press the select release button..

Now... Be careful...

To go from sport to drive, is a knock up (no release button needed), BUT, it's easy to travel to far past drive and into neutral..

So the bit to be wary of is the change from sport back into drive, just be careful how far you knock up in this situation.. But I'm used to manuals, so it might just be me..

The sequence, you get used to.. Much like that of a motorbike, for me it's the sport back to drive I am wary of, as it's easy to go into neutral if your not concentrating..

Best of luck..

Last edited:
Sjacko20 Yes I will remember that one,
Insert Coin sorry to hear that I feel for you, if you manage get your doctor to prescribe Butrans patches you wont feel it all!
T6 Dave I will probably avoid sport mode for a while until I get used to it. Those motorbike are a long way gone for me now. I still have old Honda CB400N X plated (1981) in my parents garage with a whopping 11,000 miles on it, never got around to selling it and it became like furniture. Its probably a collectors item now.

Deposit is paid will be picking up the Caravelle in the week. Can't wait now.

I can’t for the life of me remember where but I stumbled across a video on Facebook that showed a firm in Hong Kong who’d grafted a gear knob with illuminated selector on to the DSG stick.
If I see it again I’ll share it.

I can’t for the life of me remember where but I stumbled across a video on Facebook that showed a firm in Hong Kong who’d grafted a gear knob with illuminated selector on to the DSG stick.
If I see it again I’ll share it.

20200428_204734.jpg

20200428_204715.jpg

Ripped from FB. However similar to these can be found by searching 'DSG AT color ' on Aliexpress. Apparently (FB sourced info so not verified but) Van X do a RHD DSG base plate for the T5 but the T6 design appears not to be suitable for the home mechanic to change. Concerns over easily broken parts in the assembly. Just what's on the post so not sure if this is true or not.

Back