T6 double seat swap to single seat

Nomad

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So I've finally given in to my wife's complaints about the uncomfy passenger seat, actually she was driving for a change and I realised she was absolutely right!

So having purchased a Caravelle passenger seat, in matching Simora cloth no less, and seat base too. I just wanted to ask is it as simple as unbolting the double seat and bolting in the new one in, repositioning the (meagre) electrics underneath and then blanking off the extra holes in the floor?

I've seen threads about "airbag cheats" but i'm assuming this refers to air bags in the seats themselves? My bench seat obviously has none but does a caravelle seat have them, or is likely to have them? I'm not sure yet until I collect what i'm getting but it looks pretty much identical (in reverse) to my drivers seat.

If so, I assume I don't have the wiring but would it be safe to leave it unconnected?

Or is it something to do with "different airbags in the dash"? I recall reading something like that once, I can't believe this is an issue as the van was an ex demo that was originally specced with a single passenger seat but which the dealer had "upgraded" to a double bench seat (thanks for nothing).

I'm sure you amazingly knowledgeable chaps can enlighten me :)

is it as simple as unbolting the double seat and bolting in the new one in
Yes!

Youl likely find you reconnect the occupancy sensor (for the seatbelt) and that’s it. If your new seat does have an airbag, leaving it unconnected won’t cause any issue.

As for the dash, the dealer may well have replaced the single airbag for a double, but it won’t be any issue leaving a double in there. The issue only arrises when a double seat is placed there without a double airbag to boot.

You could be anal and replace the cab rubber / carpet, or just buy the blanking plugs.

The seat is definitely more comfortable.

Brilliant, all I needed to know

Air bag(s) not an issue then

And no seat belt sensor for the passenger side only the drivers at present.

And deffo blanking plugs, I prefer the cheaper/simpler solution :)

Haha, same issue, wife unhappy with the uncomfortable double seat! So, I have the same issue, but the existing double is on a (clunky) swivel plate with four bolts that need to be undone to enable the swivel. My question is the same but also need to understand if a single seat would simply fit on the existing plate, or if this would need to be changed as well. Obviously the former is the easier option, but the latter might mean an easier to operate swivel mechanism. Any views/advice gratefully received. Got to get the seat changed before considering the more ‘fun’ upgrades! Thanks.

Haha, same issue, wife unhappy with the uncomfortable double seat! So, I have the same issue, but the existing double is on a (clunky) swivel plate with four bolts that need to be undone to enable the swivel. My question is the same but also need to understand if a single seat would simply fit on the existing plate, or if this would need to be changed as well. Obviously the former is the easier option, but the latter might mean an easier to operate swivel mechanism. Any views/advice gratefully received. Got to get the seat changed before considering the more ‘fun’ upgrades! Thanks.
Would mean a new swivel.

Brilliant, all I needed to know

Air bag(s) not an issue then

And no seat belt sensor for the passenger side only the drivers at present.

And deffo blanking plugs, I prefer the cheaper/simpler solution :)
I've litrally just this minute finished doing the same - for the reasons too!

I used these blank from ebay and where good ans looked better than I hoped

I also have would like to know what everyone did with the wires that where under the seat please ?

Mine are now just loose under there.
Someone suggested tucking under the carpet / floor matt but I'm concerned about water off the shoes running in the gaps - I did try to put them under but they seem to big to neatly do it .

I've litrally just this minute finished doing the same - for the reasons too!

I used these blank from ebay and where good ans looked better than I hoped

I also have would like to know what everyone did with the wires that where under the seat please ?

Mine are now just loose under there.
Someone suggested tucking under the carpet / floor matt but I'm concerned about water off the shoes running in the gaps - I did try to put them under but they seem to big to neatly do it .
There should only be wires under the new single seat...what about the magnetic panels to hide them from the front? You will still see under the seat though if the seat is in the forward position.

Hi all. I’m about to swap my bench seat for a caravelle single. Does the occupancy sensor have to be reconnected or can I cap it off without a dashboard message? I have read somewhere they there is a difference between the T6.1 and T6 wiring on the seats. Thanks for any advice.

Could you message me directly and that will remind me to chase it up with the boys tomorrow

Hi there,

did you manage to find out if the occupancy sensor affects the airbags? I was hoping to swap my double for a single, but now I'm a bit unsure on what to do about the occupancy sensor...

thanks!

Hi there,

did you manage to find out if the occupancy sensor affects the airbags? I was hoping to swap my double for a single, but now I'm a bit unsure on what to do about the occupancy sensor...

thanks!
Hi. I just swapped my double for a single today. All the sensors are normally open so I left them disconnected and tucked under the carpet. No lights. And easy to do.

Thanks for that - good to know you don't get warnings at least.

Did you manage to work out if it impacts the airbag at all?

Back