T6 Camper Or Sprinter / Crafter Self Build

joe_j_barnes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Can’t help think would you rather have a T6 professional conversion or would you buy a vw crafter / sprinter self build.

I have a 204DSG T6 ready for a conversion this year but I constantly find myself looking at bigger self builds with showers etc and wonder if am going right thing , but I love my T6 and couldn’t be happier, would I regret not having bigger space once it’s all done.

three bridge or sherwood / new wave top three companies so far.

thoughts?

It’s going to be a very personal thing. If you need more space and have to have a toilet or shower, than you need a Crafter sized vehicle. Very happy with our T6, but also looking at bigger vehicles too.

Pete

I've had - 15'9" long 4 berth overcab coachbuilt motorhome based on a boxer with shower/toilet, (a caravan but ignore that) a LWB T5 elevating roof with a porta potti in the "communal" area, a 21' long coachbuilt 6 berth motorhome again with full facilities and now a SWB T6 elevating roof again with a porta potti in the "communal" area.

Without a shadow of a doubt the best of the bunch for camping usability and parking was the short 4 berth MH with a separate shower/toilet cubicle. IMO Transporters with a cubicle are a massive compromise which will take up at least a 1/3rd of the available space as oldiebut goodie has discovered and even LWB Transporters aren't that easy to park. Using the loo in a Transporter without a separate compartment is just unpleasant with two of you and impossible with more.

The compromise for us is that the T6 is also a daily runner for us hence the need to keep it small. If it was just to be a 2nd vehicle, then without a doubt I would consider a Crafter because the wider body makes a lot of difference, and if you are already considering a LWB T6 a similar length Crafter is no more difficult to park anyway. Having a separate toilet/shower if you camp without using sites is massively more pleasant.

In your circs I would plump for a high top Crafter with a separate cubicle and consider side extensions to sleep transversely for more or less the same footprint as a LWB T6. It's just 20" longer and 5.5" wider.

What would you use it for? Short weekend trips, long adventures?

When would you use it? Summer only or all year?

Where would you use it? On campsites or wild camping?

Where can you park it? Will it fit on your drive? Will it fit at work?

Who would use it? Just you, or with Mrs, kids?

Bought for two things

one as daily driver

two use fir weekends away and holidays abroad

2 adults and 2 kids & dog,

however we maybe now in a position once the T6 is done as camper that I can use another car for daily use and allow T6 to be used for weekends.

I've invested a lot of money so far and is likely to stand me 55K upwards so just liking the sprinter / crafter at mo but realise it would purely be for going away in and not as diverse as the T6

Back